How to Talk to Someone Who Survived a War

In times of war, people are more important than ever. moral support. However, those who were at the epicenter of hostilities and were able to get out of there need help. Someone had to see their home burn down. Someone on their own skin experienced what an explosion wave is and what it is capable of. And someone lost in the war the closest people who left irretrievably.

Editorial "Site" I would like to express my condolences to every Ukrainian who suffered from this inhuman war unleashed by Russia. Today we want to tell you how to establish contact with people who have survived hell on Earth.

Moral support If you are accepting immigrants at home, it is important to know How to talk to them. First of all, don’t tell people that you understand what they’ve been through. That's not true. The fact is that every Ukrainian suffered different losses. Some lost their homes and jobs, some lost their sense of security forever. Hundreds of people will never hear their voices again.

To understand those who witnessed military atrocities is very difficult. But you don't have to. It’s more important to be there and say the right words: What you’ve been through is just awful. I'm sorry you had to go through this.” It will also fit the phrase: “I can’t even imagine what you went through.”

In no case should the topic of war be ignored during the dialogue with the victims. Don't pretend nothing happened. And while words seem redundant here, silence sometimes hurts just as much as wrong language. For a person who has experienced hell on Earth, it is important that his experience is recognized. Silence creates a kind of silence. vacuum-effect. In it, people are left alone, because of which they suffer even more.

It is important to recognize the gravity of the situation and the human suffering. Suffice it to say, “What happened in your city is really scary.” Also, never give your assessment of people’s feelings. Also, don't say what you think could have been done wrong. You haven't been in that man's shoes and you can't know for sure what you would have done.

“You should have left earlier,” “You should be glad you survived.”- forbidden phrases. Most likely, a person already blames himself for something. He also tries to convince himself to enjoy every minute. But in order for people to do this again, it is very important to live through all the sad emotions.

There are only memories of the past. You'll have to accept that. To support a person in this case, you can say: "You have every right to be angry with those who destroyed your home, your life."

Moral support for people does not tolerate generalizations. No “we all have a hard time” in conversation. When dealing with those affected by war, it is important not to focus on yourself or others. And especially not to compare the situation of a person with other possible cases.

If a person dares to share their feelings with you, Listen to him to the end and express your support. There is no point in saying that bad things could have happened but didn’t. In this way, you devalue the loss of the victim, and make his feelings insignificant. Every situation is unique.

Peels Many say that empathy does not help the case. Affected Ukrainians do not need pity – that is true. Therefore, when communicating with a person, do not make a sacrifice of him. It is not easy for people to deal with everything that has happened. Better. emphasize the strengths of the interlocutor And tell him that he is able to cope with any difficulties. People just need to be believed in them.

I hope this article will help you connect with those who survived the war. We believe that soon Ukraine will win and the war will end!

Tags

See also

New and interesting