5-hour working day: yeah, it's real!

On the principles of one unusual, but effective, the company says the editor Inc. Lee Buchanan.

In may of this year in the company Tower Paddle Boards created by stéphane Aastrom, revenue per employee has almost doubled. But salaries have not decreased. Aarsal did this by drawing attention to an important fact: for startups time — more than a managed resource than money. So instead of increasing salaries, he reduced the working day to five hours.

ARSTA — this is the same guy who was taken aback during his business presentation on the reality show Shark Tank, but nevertheless, received a $150 000 from investor Mark Cuban. Today, he leads a team of nine people, and his company sells online surf boards. "Do not like the others — part of our brand," says Arstal. He persuaded his employees to resign from other positions and come to work at Tower Paddle Boards.

In 1914 Henry Ford reduced the working week collectors car up to 40 hours, using innovative conveyor through which people become more productive. Today, the Internet and other technologies has increased the performance, but says Arstal, wages have not increased and working hours have remained the same.

"People today can become much more productive, but at the same time capable of tremendous loss of time," he says. Given all these distractions, most people on average do useful work no more than two or three hours a day, he said. (Research Professor at Duke University Dan Ariely confirms this: people are much more productive in the first few hours of the day and the afternoon performance is rapidly decreasing.) Here are some rules that Harstel and his team work successfully in a 5-hour workday.

Employees themselves organize their 5-hour dayof Official working hours in the Tower from 8 a.m. until the hour of the day. Assessment Artola, in 70% of cases people adhere to this schedule, although when it gets hard, can work longer.

Working hours can vary depending on the role. "The person who deals with customer service is one of the most stressful positions in the company can finish the job exactly at 13.00 and very regularly, says Arstal. — But our Director, due to the nature of their work and love their work, sometimes, and sleeps in the office."

The company is building a team of ambitious and disciplined people, the workload has not changed, so the new policy is, in fact, challenge, encourage to work smarter. "The main thing — to learn to force yourself to be more productive, ask yourself a very clear limits, says Arstal. — Nothing helps you focus like a deadline."

Employees want to go along with all the hours of the day, so they are less likely to drop in the mail, don't spend time on social networks and pointless chatter. "We're not trying to make an effective all-all, — says Director of digital strategy Alison Dundovic — we just try to fix inefficient things, and that already makes you better".

Everyone learns to set myself deadlines and to followWhen Arstal was preparing his team to a new regime, he asked the employees to read the book of Tim ferriss "How to work 4 hours a week." He professes the 80:20 rule (20% of efforts give 80% of result) and encourages employees to perform all their business to understand what is beneficial, and in what points they start to waste time.

In the Tower are also planning to develop specific programs, training people to work productively in conditions of severe limitations.

All get a share pribylova in Tower restricted the working day, at the same time, a rule was introduced: 5% profits to employees. All of this combined almost doubled the income of employees.

For example, an employee with a salary of $40,000 a year, who has worked 2000 hours (50 40-hour weeks), was earning $20 per hour. But the number of hours worked fell to 1250, and to this were added the payments from profit in the amount of $8000, and now this man earns $38 per hour. This preserves the old system of vacation: take as much as you want, just don't abuse it.

Released watch take to become healthier"Worked perfectly, says Arstal. — All terribly glad to leave work in the afternoon — especially those who have children. It really changes their life." So far neither have used the freed hours to earn. "I told the guys that if they want to earn more, they can, for example, in their spare time to drive people to Uber. But they love the way they live."

Dundovic, for example, typically the day dining with friends, playing softball or working on his Hobbies — interior design. "This is a great time to be creative, she says. And I became much happier."

Unique approach to work had an impact on the image of the companyArstal was a little worried that they will lose customers when they see that a shorter working day. But in Tower call no less than before — just in a shorter working time. And Artol says it's good for the brand. "We want the customers thinking: "wow, that sounds cool. It seems like these guys are on to something. I like them, I like, what makes this company. I'll buy something from them"".

Boss infects others by the exampleHe Arstal works more than 25 hours a week, but still trying to be a model of moderation. If the business is doing well, he could go for three weeks in Africa, Columbia or Southeast Asia in the last four years.

"And I am absolutely not ashamed to leave work an hour a day for several weeks, he says. — I made that rule because I wanted everyone in the company could live in the same rhythm that I invented for myself." published

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! © Join us at Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: ideanomics.ru/?p=4852

Tags

See also

New and interesting