Should you tell strangers about yourself?

I once had the chance to take a train. The road is long, about 12 hours. So I stocked up on an interesting book and tuned in for an exciting journey. But at the next stop came a woman who ruined the plan. The rest of the way, she told me about her life, her children, her work, her husband, and even her most distant relatives.

One thing that surprised me then was, why would people have to tell strangers something so personal? The other day, a woman wrote to us who was on the other side of this issue: she doesn’t know how to stop sharing personal things with other people. Editorial "Site" I decided to look into it.

First, I would like to share the story of the reader, and then discuss it with you. The woman said: Hello, I would like to share with you one of my problems, I probably do not know what to call it. I'm a natural sane person, respecting other people's personal boundaries, avoiding awkward questions and all that.

But I have one strange thing: I sometimes engage in conversations with strangers. And it's not just a household conversation, after a couple of minutes I start to tell the person about my family and problems at home. The most interesting thing is that I do not start conversations, I am drawn in, but I cannot stop.

After such situations, there is shame for yourself and your behavior. I feel like the woman who falls on the ears with her problems to anyone who comes across. I do not want to create such a reputation, after all, I have a friend and a family.

Every time I leave the house, I promise myself I won’t talk to people, and then it happens anyway. I don't know what it is. Give me advice on how to deal with this.”

This is the first time we have looked at the other side of the problem. It turns out some people just can't control these conversations. What could be the reason?

Most likely, the fact that the person lacks attention in his circle. It happens that even the closest people can not satisfy the need for communication in full. There's a lot you can't tell them. You always think I don't want to bother him, I won't tell you. And all this understatement accumulates. And she needs a way out.

How do you handle it? I would like to answer the counter-question: do we have to cope? If strangers respond to this conversation, do not repel or resent, then why deny yourself this communication? You're not the only one who's restless. companionship. Man is a collective being, we need conversations, gossip and exchange of thoughts.

If friends do not give the necessary emotional response, the husband does not want to worry, and colleagues simply do not hear and do not want to hear, then why not turn to a stranger. He will support, sympathize, and you will fill that emotional gap. You will be fine, and the family will be fine.

Do not worry about this, because such conversations are common. It is only important to keep within the limits of decency and not to bother people who are clearly not interested. That's all. Sometimes you just need to look at things from a different angle. Are you one of those people who can easily start a conversation with a stranger?

Tags

See also

New and interesting