My mother helped me buy an apartment a long time ago, now I've decided to sell it, and she wants to return half the value to her.

Valery knew there was such a thing as family debt. But he never imagined that parental help could be seen as something to pay for. And the bill was put up decades later with interest.

Once upon a time Valery decided to buy a small apartment. Odnushku is near the center. It was necessary. Since Valery could no longer tolerate neighbors in the apartment and he needed housing closer to work. Fortunately, the earnings and low price for the room allowed the young man to get an impressive savings.

Peels rummaging through the ads, he did find a decent option for himself. One room, a brick house, not a corner. But one problem. A couple thousand dollars were missing, about half the cost of the apartment. Then he told his parents everything. The mother almost immediately volunteered to help her son. And the next day Valery had the right amount in his hands.

Years passed, Valery decided to change his place of residence. He needed a bigger apartment, and finances allowed him to buy one. He did not want to rent the old apartment - he had no desire to mess with the lodgers. So he decided to sell it.

Peels New apartment Buyer found quickly. And since prices have since increased significantly, the amount for the apartment came out much more decent than the one that Valery once paid. One day his mother called him. He had no idea why she called him in the middle of the day. As a rule, she did not allow herself to do this and only learned about it in the evenings or on weekends.

Peels - Yes, Mom? Hey!

- Hey, son! Look, could you give us half the value of that apartment you're selling?

Valery was a little confused by this request. He had no idea that he had borrowed money from his parents so many years ago.

- Well, not a problem at all, he replied reluctantly. But I didn’t know what to give.

Peels was confident in this amount and was already counting on using it to renovate a new apartment. Valery shared his plans for the money, but it did not affect his mother.

- Well, you'll save some more, she said. - Is that a problem? We helped you then, and now you give us.

At the end of the conversation, Valery agreed to return the money. It was a lot of money and he didn’t want to give it away. On the other hand, he owes his parents for their help. But it was so long ago! No one told him that he would have to pay back his family debt. And with that percentage!

Peels He thought for a long time what to do. After all, the money is still with him, and he still has time to change his mind. But the mother is unlikely to tolerate rejection. I don't want to ruin relationships. But he didn’t want to give up the money. What's up?

Family debt - Does Valery have the right to keep the money solely for himself? Or does he have to do what his mother said? Is it fair to give someone money without telling them it's a loan?

Tags

See also

New and interesting