Relatives right to my forehead said that I am such a daughter-in-law

Can the traditions and values of a husband’s family be more important than his own freedom? And what happens when the husband’s relatives diligently impose the customs of their family, which they do not want to adhere to? This is the topic we propose to discuss in the comments today.

And before that, we want to introduce you to the 37-year-old Svetlana, who only after a year of marriage learned that her husband’s family adheres to special traditions.

Recently, my mother-in-law, Valentina Mikhailovna, celebrated the anniversary and my husband and I visited his parents. There was a lot of family gathered for the holiday. And everything was fine at first. The company was noisy and cheerful. Someone told funny stories. The other one indulged in nostalgic memories. And the third always came up with toasts to drink with a clear conscience to the health of the birthday girl.

But at some point, the conversation turned to family traditions. And when my husband's cousin told me about their family's oldest custom, the holiday atmosphere abruptly disappeared. It turns out that in their family it is customary for the youngest child to stay with his parents even after the wedding. And the youngest child, as you might have guessed, was my husband, Igor.

My husband’s relatives began to bombard me with questions about when we were going to move into my mother-in-law’s house. And either as a joke or in truth they said that my daughter-in-law was bad, since we have not yet done this.

To say that I felt confused is to say nothing. It is good that Aunt Valya (a friend of Valentina Mikhailovna) began to talk about her peonies, which she recently planted in the country. So all the questions stopped, and the guests were distracted to further discussion of more pressing topics.

That evening, I even thought the questions about moving were jokes. But a week after the holiday, my mother-in-law called me and raised the topic again. Igor's mother began to ask if we had time to pack before the end of the month and what room we would like to occupy in their house.

I didn't know how to tell her we weren't going to move in. I didn’t want to ruin my relationship with my mother-in-law. So I said that Igor and I will discuss this again and as soon as we decide something, we will inform her.

My husband doesn’t want to discuss anything. He says, “We wanted to live apart from our parents, and nothing has changed this year.”

But when I ask him to repeat the same thing to his family, he balks. They say that they themselves will fall behind with time. I just don't believe it...

What would you do in Svetlana’s place? What advice would you give our heroine? We would be grateful if you would share your thoughts on this in the comments!

Tags

See also

New and interesting