5 signs that could not go further

40 days ago my friends died on the way to the mountains due to the fact that everyone in the car fell asleep, including the driver. When it shatters someone, you often think: “I guess the guy was a reckless driver / inexperienced / overly confident, etc. With us will not happen”. But this time was the opposite case.

It killed the guys who constantly, during the past ten to fifteen years, almost every month, drove it to the mountains, the sea, winding thousands of miles without stopping. Experience dalnoboev they have more than enough! What is Vadim, who called himself a “professional liar”: a day and night to talk with any driver, even a stranger. That Smolin, who went offside to me, has always closely followed his condition.

Ninety five million four hundred nineteen thousand two hundred forty

They are all perfectly able to fight off sleep, to feel the onset of fatigue, and to understand the moment when it is time for the driver to change... after Learning about the accident, many could not even believe that some of them might just have asleep at the wheel. Nevertheless, it happened. Only once, but that was enough to all three.

Looking at their mutilated car, visiting the scene of the accident, looking through record with the Registrar, I clearly realized this simple, in General, logical thing: “I can't say I'm smarter or more experienced than any of them. What age, what experience, what style of driving we all have plus or minus the same. And I mean, exactly the same as they are, can easily die on the track like that.”And here I am again going back to my old question: how to avoid it. Starting to ride long distances, ten years ago, I first began to search for themselves the most effective methods of struggle with sleep. I remember I had a whole Arsenal of different ways to cheer up: coffee, seeds, energy, walking, charging, etc. And then I guessed that he was looking for something quite different! None of them I can not guarantee safety. Because here's the paradox: all this is nothing but as ways to continue the movement, and most importantly — to know when to stop!

And it is not the channel the wisdom of the people “Tired — rest”, which I heard a million times. What do you mean tired? Over the whole of Moscow home after work tired going, and why? Where objective criteria when the fatigue can still be calm be patient, and when it's really time to go by the wayside?

And these criteria should be explicit and unambiguous.

In General, I have these five criteria. They tested hundreds of sleepless nights on the car, on the boat. And the rule is very simple: it is better to this condition are generally yourself not bring. But if there's at least one of these signs, I immediately Manaus without hesitation. Or, if you change with someone, stand on the roadside to sleep. Because they could not go further.

So, five is objective evidence that sleep:

1. Notice the time of blinkingThis is the most clear and unambiguous criterion. Try to remember the time when you last blinked? That's the same! The fact that in a normal state, a person does not notice the moment when blinking. How quickly this happens that just do not pay attention. But when it becomes clear, that we are talking not about the usual twink, but about the beginning of the trip — immediately to the curb!

2. Optical illusionThe figures on the sidelines from afar seem to be one thing, and at the approach or be something completely different or disappear altogether. It's the edge stage: his eyes are still open, but the brain has no time to handle all incoming information — he's already asleep! Another couple of minutes, and the consciousness completely shuts down.

3. Vision does not have time to focusI try to look from the road to the instruments, and then bring it back on the road. What was the mileage? Again: instant-on appliances, and back on the road. In normal condition, vision time to readjust, and everything is perfectly visible. But if you get sleepy, eyes become glass, the eye does not have time to adapt to the conditions, it becomes impossible to cast devices one cursory glance, and then consider the necessary evidence.

4. Too lazy to strain your brainTry to multiply 18 by 3. In the normal state is not a problem. But falling asleep is something that would be difficult ... he don't need. Too lazy to even begin. For the same reason, too lazy to talk. Because you have to strain to keep in mind the thread of the conversation, to find the words. By the way, any verbal communication, well overload the brain, so first: who is chatting — he did not sleep; and secondly, if the cabin got very quiet, then soon all cut down. At this point, too, it is time to stop, although it seems that you can still go. Here guys this is what happened (by the Registrar): first, there was silence in the cabin, and after a while crash. By the way, the most invigorating not just empty talk, but talks on some exciting topics, whether it's sex, politics or any holivar. So stocking up on the track ill subjects.

5. Minor violationsTwo or three times in a row I forgot to switch in the middle? It's time to sleep. Can't remember the last road sign? And the last but one? Nohow? Sleep! Stopped at a flashing yellow? On the green? Well, you understand…

And bonus rapid test for the passenger as an unobtrusive check of the driver for signs of drowsiness.

The point is that it is useless to ask him: “Hey, are you okay?”. The answer is always the same: “fine.”. Instead, it is necessary to ask him any questions which require thought or care. For example: “where are we now? What kind of settlement passed?” or, “How long do we have to ...”, and even better something more complex, like: “what do you think is better to give <name of mutual friend> on your birthday?”. And if the answers seem too simple or inadequate — it's time to change. But if the patient is more alive, to become better, it is advisable to start with him about something to argue. Even on high matters, though stupid Troll him — do not care. Importantly, during the heated debate, it is impossible to sleep physically verified.

In General, the main rule: the brain doesn't turn off immediately, it turns off gradually. As hangs computer, first works 100%, then 50%, then 25% and then BAM — already hanging. Quite possible to catch the transition from 100% to 50%, if you know what to look for and how to check. And look have any and too lazy to check yourself for retardation of consciousness.And the question still remains: if I can control myself enough for a safe drive long distances alone? Honestly, not sure. The catch in the fact that, together with the blunting of consciousness, and dulled sense of fear. That is, you realize that fall asleep all the criteria of a sensible person, you have, in fact, on the verge of death, and you know it, but you in all this time not afraid! Because the brain is already almost asleep. And think: “Hey, let's travel XX km to the nearest XXX, and there and sleep/be changed.”

So all those signs, of course, is good, especially when going alone. And you must try to not bring them, and if at least one of them will come immediately to stay. But it is rather a necessary than a sufficient condition of security. The only option, which I'm sure at 100%, I see a plus to all this, ride with a partner and constant conversations. Not so much in order to stay alert as to constantly monitor each other (see paragraph 4): the conversation was quiet, both to sleep. Yes, it is a very tough rule. But, for example, when we went to tour around the world, there were four of us, and we can easily adhere to. Lately I became more and more often to score at times because of the lack of interlocutors, and sometimes even just. But, apparently, nothing. Life, damn it, is able to show how to do. It is foolish not to learn.

Take care.published 

Author: Oleg Radul

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Join us in Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: www.facebook.com/olegradul/posts/834667839902442:0

Tags

See also

New and interesting