No "impossible"! Just in actual fact we do not want to change

Do something for me. Get up, go out in the middle of the room and strike a pose, as if you are riding an invisible motorcycle: knees bent at a right angle, hands clenching an invisible steering wheel. If you want, you can even start to growl, imitating the engine.

Look at the clock and then hold this position for as long as I can. Wait, when hip pain becomes unbearable. Pay attention to how much time it will take. Some of you that will last only 30 seconds, because why should you? It's stupid and painful. In a minute we'll get to that.

Now let's say you want to help someone to quickly quit Smoking. Do you think any of these options better suited for this?

1. Show the smoker frightening social advertising, talk to him about why he should quit Smoking, to show him pictures of cancerous tumors, lung patients, and the like.

2. Show the smoker video, full of good recommendations about how to quit Smoking, and in this video there will be tons of useful tips from those who have already passed through it.

What do you think of these options will work? Second, isn't it? Because the first is just manipulative bullshit, the second option is relevant, useful knowledge.

However, you are mistaken. A recent study showed that the advertising, which explains why it is necessary to quit Smoking, is very different from advertising, which explains how to do it.

Ads answers the question, how to quit Smoking, was almost useless. The reason for this is quite simple, but many modern economists hope that you never think about: no one who wants to change their habits, could not fail, because he didn't know how to change them. No.

You see, if you want to do everything badly, simply do not need to progress beyond the trivial first step. This happens with most endeavors, all the time, and the method here is not important.

That is why various quirky diets appear and disappear every few months and we'll never find that one magical diet that will work better than others. The method is not a problem, we constantly focus on it, and we do it only to not recognize the simple fact that in actual fact we do not want to change.

"I know a guy who dropped 16 pounds using the Atkins diet"! No, you know the guy who wanted to lose weight so badly that you were willing to carefully monitor everything he eats every day. If that guy chose a simple daily reducing the number of calories consumed, it would work just as well as Atkins.

Let me illustrate this on one particularly ridiculous example: the fitness industry. For the purchase of equipment may cost approximately $ 4.5 billion per year (this is treadmills from the best manufacturers). The clubs spent about 27 billion dollars. How much do you think people paid money for all this by first convincing himself that that would be the one thing that will finally force them to follow you? Here's a hint: two thirds of people who purchased a membership in fitness clubs, never showed.

It's not just the lies we tell ourselves, is a ridiculous lie. It is clear even to a child. As you are well aware that in order to get in shape, you do not need any special equipment and you can do all the necessary exercises on the floor right now if you want.

Remember when you were sitting on an invisible motorcycle, and your thighs are literally screaming to you that you stopped it all if only for a minute? The same burning pain in legs you will feel and the simulator cost thousands of dollars. I just gave you it for free. "But it was incredibly tedious and painful! I don't want every day to do such things"!

Exactly! I also don't want to. So stop already deluding yourself.

Now try this: again, sit on an invisible motorcycle, but this time hire some stranger who is holding a gun your head and which will have clear instructions to post it if you is not going to improve by half its previous time on the "bike". Pretend you were in one of the episodes of the series "Sons of anarchy" or something like that.

See also: Ruminate: How to throw a mental gum

What if you just can't stand to get out

You will improve the time without problems, walk you through all of these "impossible" you are going to endure the pain. Because now you really care then why are you doing this: you are doing it to not get shot in the head.

This is the "secret" that was obvious from the beginning. All these people doing great things and working as if in their day for 50 hours, how they manage to do this every day? They do this because there is a gun to their head. An imaginary gun, pressed to his head all day. Every day. published

Author: David Wong

translation: Alexey Stepanov

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Join us in Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: www.mkolontay.ru/interesting/stuff/217

Tags

See also

New and interesting