Psychologists say that the utterance of their fears out loud will help you get rid of them

For example, if you have arachnophobia, and you see a spider, the most effective would be to say: "It's a spider, a huge, black hairy spider, I'm terribly afraid!". Usually in such cases, people persuade themselves, downplaying their own: "Just think, a spider, a small and defenseless, it's nothing I can do, so it should not be afraid." In their new study, the psychologists deny this methodology: it does not work.

88 volunteers Arachnophobia asked to sit next to the transparent container with live tarantulas inside. A quarter of the subjects said to myself out loud as they are afraid of these monsters. Another quarter, on the contrary, tried to calm himself. More quarter chatted about something distracted, and the last group was silent.

A control group, to talk about their fears, showed better results in the fight with a phobia than the other three. Some test participants were able to overcome fear so that they were able to touch the spider!

"The thing is that in trying to convince myself not to be afraid of the object of your phobia, you are trying to" assign "his experience, which does not really have the alien of your personality. And it is useless. Pronunciation of the same fears aloud promotes better contact with their own subconscious and strengthens you emotionally. "- Explained the results of his experimental psychologists.

via factroom.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting