Respecting the last will of my son, I made a will for my daughter-in-law so that he and his daughter had a place to live, but a year later I regretted it.

Giving property to a close relative Very often it turns not even into a problem, but a natural Sisyphean labor. You need to go through a lot of different offices, everyone likes and, most importantly, pay for all the required papers. Yes, many people get the impression that you are not giving away your property, but some other person’s. So you have to stay. But that's the nature of bureaucracy. There's nothing we can do about it.

Another thing is that the “gift” is not cheap. Therefore, you need to carefully consider in advance all possible troubles. Whether you need it, how much. Or maybe it's his gift. Is it better to sell a living space? Or maybe just give it to reliable people. Life, in its modern sense, is too fleeting. And we, ordinary people, make such broad gestures, even to relatives, out of hand. Everyone has their own worldview, of course. And life. And a person is free to act in a particular situation as he sees fit. Even if you have to regret it later.

My husband and I have always wanted to live in such a way that people are simply not ashamed. Therefore, some fundamental questions were given to us with great difficulties. My daughter, the oldest child, was always drawn to the arts. And we didn't torture her by trying to make her look like someone who was comfortable with society. They bought her paints, took her to exhibitions, acquired various theoretical literature. Everything to make her comfortable. The school program suffered because of this. Many teachers complained about her poor training.

Victoria now lives and works in Vienna. There she got married, and there she achieved success in her field. She is an artist, the mother of my grandson and a very respected woman in her midst. Am I happy? Sure. Do I remember when my thirty-year-old schoolgirls called her stupid and stupid? Almost never. What could they have known?!

My son, Andrew, took a different path. He was always close to military affairs. He wanted to become a soldier in junior high. So we did our best to get him to achieve all his goals. The son began to study military affairs, and when the enemy came to us, voluntarily went to defend the homeland, in the thick of events. His colleagues always referred to him as a very qualified officer and comrade in arms. Unfortunately, God takes away the best. A little over a year ago, we received the news that my son had passed away.

I thought I was internally prepared for it. I have had so many thoughts in my head over the years. But as a mother, I still mourn him. It is pain, it is hatred for the enemy, for those inhumans who came to our land and took my only son. Nevertheless, I am very grateful to Andrei for the fact that he, even at the cost of his life, protected all of us, did not betray his own views, conscience and principles.

Unfortunately, not everyone is as noble as my deceased son. He has a wife and a young daughter. Believe me, my husband and I have always been friends. Before the invasion, Andrey and Veronica lived in our apartment, in the city. We bought it for our son when he was just 16 years old. For the future. Then they rented it, and when the son married, they gave it to him in the hope of a happy future. Two rooms and repairs made by Andrew. It should have been enough for the start.

Before going to the front, Andrei said that if something happened to him, we would not grieve in vain, but live on. Because life is unpredictable and keeping the past in your head all the time just doesn’t make sense. Personally, he asked me to testify to the apartment for his wife and child. That is logical, do not drive them out “in the cold” and even without a spouse. This is a bitter step, but it had to be done to make everything fair.

Andrew's will was fulfilled. Again, my husband and I have always treated our daughter-in-law and granddaughter very well. We called, sometimes they came to visit us. This page of my life should have been closed. No matter how hard it is. And yet, every morning, I feel uncomfortable about a seemingly solved problem. The property that my son left to his ex-wife.

Two weeks ago, my granddaughter had a birthday. As grandparents, we came to congratulate her. Do not think, we did not suddenly come to the daughter-in-law, taking her by surprise. Moreover, we agreed in advance on what time it is better to arrive, what to give. Veronica asked not to waste time on shopping trips, but just hand an envelope with money. He and his daughter will agree that they will receive this money.

I am also a very pragmatic person. And I understand that nowadays dust collectors or disposable toys are forgotten in a few days. So she agreed, prepared morally for the future meeting and on the agreed day with her husband went already as a guest, in me bought an apartment. I had no idea there would be any special surprises, to be honest. But they were waiting.

In a well-tidied and inhabited apartment, almost nothing said about how and under what circumstances her owner died. Only a small photo in the frame at the entrance, and that's all. Come on, everyone grieves in their own way. And Andrew asked us not to grieve too much. However, it is difficult not to notice men's slippers right near the front door, even if carefully littered with different rags. What is it? Well, I'm not going to ask that kind of thing from the door.

We were invited to our granddaughter's room. Everything was decorated with balls, tinsel and set the table. It was sweet, but that's normal. I mean, we're here to see each other, not to eat up. So I didn't mind the way my daughter-in-law welcomed us. However, 40 minutes later, as I walked out of the bathroom, passing through my daughter-in-law's room, I noticed a new framed picture on the table. I couldn’t stop myself from seeing who was on it. And then everything fell into place.

Three people. My daughter-in-law, my granddaughter and a man I don't know. All three are dressed, smiling. The date is just a year after my son died. But in the photo is a straight idyllic family. Believe me, I know Veronica has no brothers. So I had no doubts about that. I had to restrain my emotions, sit out that evening with the usual expression of my face and leave, under the arm of my husband. At home, of course, I told him everything.

At the moment, my husband and I have serious disagreements on all of the above. He, for his part, says this is normal. Maybe a little sad and hurtful, yeah. But it was Andrew who warned us about this. Therefore, it is necessary to forgive the daughter-in-law and, perhaps, just move away from her and forget. I, in turn, want to rewrite the will and expel it, and even with shame. So that all our mutual friends are also aware of the events. Because she deserved that kind of treatment.

I'm sorry for my granddaughter. But I think she'll grow up and understand her grandmother. Or not, I know perfectly well how women can distance their children from their fathers after a divorce. This reception is hundreds of years old. Love the new “dad” and it’s over. Well, how it's gonna work out, I don't know. But I don't want some unknown man living in the house my husband and I made money for our son. Just fundamental. Maybe that's wrong. So be it. If they have a relationship, they need to build it in a new place. And try to prove to me, my dear ones, that I am wrong.

Tags

See also

New and interesting