When my ex-mother-in-law found out that I was getting married, she came running to me and began demanding half the money for the apartment.

My mother-in-law never loved me. She could not forgive me for taking away her only son, the main joy in life. Each of our meetings turned into a real test! Being married for the first time, I imagined everything differently.

Unsplash My husband inherited a two-room apartment from his father, which he bequeathed to him. We raised our children in it, and we thought about growing old in it. Unfortunately, my husband died early, leaving me with several loans. I can’t blame him for this, because I always supported his ideas. I was much more upset by the behavior of my mother-in-law, who demands that I give her half the money for the apartment in which my youngest and I live. Do you know why? Because after so long I finally have a man.

Married for the first time Let me tell you a little about my first husband. We ourselves came from modest families, I didn’t get anything from my parents (we lived in hostels and rented rooms), and he inherited an apartment from his late father. By the way, he divorced his mother-in-law a long time ago, leaving her with the child. And I can guess why.

Oh, and I suffered with her. Every time she came to check, she turned the whole house upside down. She always went to a chest of drawers or a closet and, as if in old films, ran her finger along the top shelf in an attempt to find dust. But I learned this lesson and I always carefully prepared for her arrival so that not a speck of dust remained. She took particular pleasure in telling her son that I was a slob.

Unsplash She didn’t like my food, and she didn’t like the clothes I bought for my daughter and son either. According to her, it was all either of poor quality or ugly. I didn’t have the strength to endure it, but I remained silent for the sake of my husband.

How I became a widow He loved and respected my mother very much, always helped her, called her almost every day. If she urgently needed a bag of potatoes, he would get up in the morning before work and go to the market for a bag of potatoes. If she needed to take something to the dacha, he immediately canceled everything. At first, I even liked this trait in him - he always treated both my mother and me with great trepidation. The same cannot be said about the mother-in-law.

Unsplash There is nothing surprising in my story, and among my friends there are also such mothers-in-law. This happens when a woman has only one son. He is at once her child, her friend, and the compensation of a man in her life. As a result, she is ready to do anything to prevent him from even the slightest opportunity to separate. She successfully outlived all her other daughters-in-law, but her tricks didn’t work with me.

Misha, that was her husband’s name, had a very stressful job, with long working hours. Over the years, I also gained extra weight due to kidney problems. Naturally, my mother-in-law blamed me and my cooking for health problems. In the end, his heart could not bear such stress.

Unsplash The true face of a mother-in-law Do you know what this woman did? Absolutely nothing. The organization of the funeral and wake was entirely up to me, because she is a poor pensioner whom one can only feel sorry for. As a result, I sought support from family friends. It’s good that Mikhail and I had close people, otherwise I don’t know how I would have survived it.

There weren’t many loans, but enough to force me into a second job. During the day I was a nurse in a hospital, and at night I was on duty at the oncology clinic. I slowly paid off the loan for my car and my children’s education. The eldest son, as best he could, immediately moved out and helped with money from his part-time jobs. And the youngest stayed at home and still helps me with everything. I am very proud of our children, Misha would be proud too.

Unsplash When my mother-in-law found out about the loans, she didn’t bat an eyelid. But she began to interfere less in our lives with the children, calling only on holidays. I almost forgot that there was once such a strained relationship between us. I would be glad not to remember, but the opportunity presented itself.

My colleague from the hospital, a senior surgeon, has been caring for me for a long time. He has a daughter the same age as me, they get along like sisters. I’m 42, he’s 48. One evening we sat down over a mug of tea to talk about relationships, he said: “We’re not that old. Let's have a wedding?" For the first time in a long time, I felt happy.

Unsplash Not married for the first time: second wedding We set a date and decided to invite only close friends and relatives. It seemed to me that it would be right to call my children’s grandmother, but it was a mistake...

Having learned that my fiancé and I were going to sell our apartments in order to rebuild a big house, she created a real scandal and allegedly demanded her half. What hurts her most is that I will use the money from the apartment bequeathed by her son to build a house in which I will live with another man.

When asked why they hadn’t mentioned the property before, she answered that she felt sorry for her grandchildren. But now they are adults, and, apparently, I am forbidden to even think about personal happiness. In my mother-in-law’s dreams, I probably remained a widow forever.

Unsplash This woman gives me goosebumps. The children are also in shock; now they don’t even want to see their grandmother. Of course, they did not forget how she built and read me in front of their eyes when they were still very small. Now even their patience has run out and they are completely on my side.

I haven’t told my future husband anything yet; I don’t want to overshadow the upcoming holiday. He is in the process of preparing all the papers for construction. And I don’t know if I should tell him, because it won’t change anything. But now I’m definitely sure who should not be invited to the wedding. You agree with me?

Tags

See also

New and interesting