When my mother-in-law went abroad, she promised me something, but after 15 years everything suddenly changed.

What? mother-in-law You know? Probably prudence, calmness, the ability to help when necessary. What else can you expect from an older person? Some people generally say that we do not need any help, thank you, just, mother, do not interfere. And all this, as the family lived, and continues.

However, not everyone agrees with this approach. Some daughters-in-law do not even mind if the mother of her husband, for example, agrees to help with the children. Or, let’s say, bring some food. Well, come on, family. Why doesn’t he help his son’s family? Everyone sees their rights and responsibilities differently. Why should I be ashamed?

Since childhood, my father always taught me to keep my word to others. Even though he never had a son, I, his daughter, learned this lesson well. I don't want to brag, but one of my favorite traits about myself is honesty. It just so happens that I ask other people to be as frank with me as possible. There's nothing I can do about it, education.

My husband didn't understand my principles at first. He thought it was always possible to negotiate. Silence something, not to say, if, of course, it will bring some benefit. Apparently, he had his own upbringing. But after a while, I saw that it slowly began to change. I love him for that. Since my man came to meet me, no matter what, it means that he definitely loves me.

Let me tell you a little about his upbringing. More specifically, the teacher. Meet Lina Fedorovna. My mother-in-law. Very intelligent woman, polyglot. I've traveled around the world. There are so many places she has been and always has something to say. Very nice companion and loving mother. By the way, she insisted that Sergey become an architect. I saw the potential in her early childhood.

Nevertheless, Lina Fedorovna has one major drawback: she absolutely does not know the value of her words. And this, unfortunately, led her to a situation that she did not like very much. But I'll talk about that later.

About 15 years ago, maybe a little more, my mother-in-law went to work abroad. She was hired as an interpreter and gladly accepted. Her employer, some old man, spared no money and always let his ward, on vacation, if she really needed it. They had a relationship of trust, and I suspect it was a romance.

Come on, it doesn't matter. I saw her for the first time on my wedding day. She seemed a little arrogant, but very alive. She laughed and joked a lot, but she always switched to another topic if she saw that someone in attendance did not keep up with her. She was pretty cold to her son. When they spoke, they did not feel their mother’s tenderness. There were no tears at the solemn part. You can see everything: a strong woman with her own views on life.

A few days before her next departure, she asked us very much to take care of her mother, Seryozhina grandmother. The old woman was deaf in one ear, but she kept her spirit up. My mother-in-law loved her very much and was afraid that they would never see her again in the future. She secretly promised us her grandmother's apartment if we could provide her with a decent old age. Especially since we had no children at the time.

Naturally, we agreed. But, believe me, it was not about the apartment. It was just our duty to look after Grandma a little. And she didn't ask for much. Sitting on a bench with other peers and looking around. The conversation is not particularly supportive, but, nevertheless, is in the team.

I was really sad when she left us. We paid for all the funeral rites. My mother-in-law just said she was sorry, but she can't come right now. A lot of work and the boss does not want to let go. Thank you for your work, and that’s all. By then, I had found out I was pregnant, and I wasn't even up to it, to be honest. First pregnancy, you know.

A couple of months later, after passing all sorts of tests and tests, it turned out that I was going to have twins. On the one hand, hurrah. Two kids at once, twice as happy. But, having soberly looked at the situation, you realize that childbirth is sure to be difficult. And it's a blow to the family budget, twice the responsibility. And most importantly, the living space. Our apartment will be too small for us now.

So I decided to talk to my husband, reminding him of my mother-in-law's promise. Sergey agreed with me, but asked to postpone this conversation for later. She had her own problems at the time, and we were not in a hurry. As long as the children are still small, we will not need a large area. But when they grow up, of course. Moving is necessary.

To my great joy, the birth was very easy. The doctors even praised me for my patience and restraint. But I admit I remember almost nothing. It's probably for the best, though. Sergey went into the mode of the miner, everything brought from the store endless diapers, mixtures, clothes for infants and other things. He even wanted to call his mom early, but he didn't need to. She called us first.

On the phone Lina Fedorovna briefly congratulated us with our grandchildren and wished us happiness and love. And then she gave us great news. Turns out she decided to get married. And not for whom, but for the son of his boss, now former. It turns out that they hid their feelings for a long time, but now nothing stops them. Who cares if all ages of love are submissive?

And one more thing. They're going to live here. She's tired of moving back and forth. The former apartment of his mother-in-law decided to sell to prepare his living space for their arrival with the groom. Yes, she remembers her promise, but due to the circumstances, she decided to do something different.

So she'll bring me a fancy pendant and a pair of real Arab gold earrings. Seryozha will get a good watch, bought somewhere else. Grandma gives twins $1,000 for two. This money can be put into a bank account and then, by their 18th anniversary, it will be a very good amount. Well, that's in theory.

Like I said, I hate lying and hypocrisy. I immediately realized that my mother-in-law was not joking at all, so we should not expect any apartment with Sergey. You have to rely on your own strength. So I just hung up silently. In the evening of the same day, after discussing everything with my husband, we, without scandal, came to a common opinion.

We just decided to accept the fact that Lina Fedorovna no longer exists for us. My husband supported my decision and said he would block her phone number. This decision gave me no moral satisfaction, but one thing I knew for sure. People who cannot answer for their words, especially in front of their son and granddaughters, should be removed from their lives. Nobody owes anyone anything else. I know it's the right thing to do. Moreover, I generally think that this news will not upset her in any way, but, on the contrary, will only please her.

Tags

See also

New and interesting