She hid the terrible gift of her daughter-in-law and son far away, and they came and began to ask where their present was.

My attitude towards my grandchildren is neutral. I’ve never spoken to children about it because I think it’s unethical. Everyone builds his life as he wants it, says Alla Vasilyevna. A woman who has two adult children with families has never taught them life.

Alla Vasilyevna recently celebrated her anniversary. She usually travels abroad for her birthday, and this time the trip was canceled. So Alla Vasilievna invited close friends and relatives to her home.

Attitude to grandchildren Alla Vasilyevna during her life managed to raise two children, achieve a leadership position and happily live 30 years in marriage to this day. Alla has an apartment in the city, but the woman prefers to live outside the city in her two-storey house. The family budget is enough for them and their husband on any whims, recently finished repairing the house with the help of a professional interior designer.

“This time I decided to bring everyone together at one table. My friends came, my son with his wife and daughter and my youngest daughter with her husband. We recently finished remodeling the house, so it was another good occasion for everyone to meet us. I warned everyone in advance not to give me anything. But all the same, everyone came with envelopes, flowers, and the daughter-in-law was generally surprised: she presented a meter portrait of her granddaughter.

My younger daughter got married 2 years ago. She's a good character, a careerist. I don't have kids, and I understand. You didn’t want to become a mother early, but you don’t foresee everything in life. The eldest son got married 5 years ago. I don't have a very good relationship with my daughter-in-law.

When she married my son, I decided that my husband and I would help them financially. Yes, we are wealthy, but all our lives we have achieved everything on our own. Why should I help independent adults? And when my daughter-in-law asked me to help them buy a place for them, I refused. Katya was pregnant at the time and said that if I did not help, I would never see my granddaughter again. I wasn't very upset.

We did not communicate for a while, and when the baby was born, Katya began to send me pictures of the baby. Apparently, she decided not to fight with a wealthy mother-in-law. Misha and I visited them, always gave the baby expensive gifts. But when it came to sitting with my granddaughter, I refused. I've already raised my children.

For some reason Alya Katya did not give to kindergarten - everywhere she takes a child with her. For my birthday, I received a portrait of my granddaughter on her behalf. This is a drawing in a shiny frame, Katerina looked at the wall in the hallway and said that there the portrait would fit perfectly. I thanked him for the gift and we sat down at the table.

When two weeks later my son and daughter-in-law came to visit me, Katya asked where her gift was. I honestly answered that I paid a tidy sum for the work of the designer not in order to bring dissonance to the ideal interior with some picture. Katya was offended, and I do not consider myself guilty at all. I said no gifts are needed. I say that every year so that there will be no such unpleasant situations. This is my home and I want to do it my way. I’m not saying what kind of wallpaper to glue to children in the bedroom, I don’t advise them furniture. It's all so delicious. Isn't it?

Living by your own rules is not so easy. People don’t like it when they are directly communicated with or do not accept their point of view. You need to have the core to defend your worldview, to enjoy every moment in life. And sometimes people lose friends and even loved ones because they are not used to compromise. She is one of the few who is honest with herself and others. What would you do in her place?

Tags

See also

New and interesting