I hear sirens even when they are not there, what to do and how to deal with it.

What is happening in the world affects each of us in one way or another. Especially for those who every day (and night too) 5-6 times hide in shelter from sirens. Air siren causes a state of intense fear, nervous overstrain and despair. And sometimes, even when it's quiet, there's an incessant hum in my head.

Today's edition. "Site" It will tell you how to overcome the syndrome phantom sirens. I can't tell if the sirens are really howling or just in my head.

The sound of the siren is a warning signal “Attention all!”. It is included in cases of accident, disaster, natural disaster, air danger, various threats and other dangerous phenomena in all emergency-prone cities, settlements.

2 years ago, these sirens were notified about the pandemic. And then I was nervous about it. But now the sounds of these sirens are much scarier.

Phantom siren syndrome is a condition where, even in complete silence, a person hears sirens that actually do not exist. Immediately want to check the messages, apps on the phone, open the window to understand what is happening.

And then you realize it's quiet. And you thought. 10th time! This is when even the sound of a passing trolleybus causes a strong heartbeat. What if again? No, I thought so!

Young people are most affected by this condition. Since people of the older generation encountered a siren during the Chernobyl disaster.

How to deal with this mentally draining syndrome? For the answer, you should turn to experienced psychologists.

The first thing to do is to “ground” and come back. Talk to family and friends about the stress you are experiencing. Wash your face with cold water and then count the objects around you. This will help you to enter the “here and now” state. Pinch your hands or leg – feel your body.

It is also important to cover basic needs. The most important thing is sleep. Since it is in a dream that the nervous system is restored. If due to frequent sirens you can not sleep in the evening, sleep in the afternoon. If you are afraid to sleep, so as not to miss the sound of sirens, then ask your relatives to watch around while you recuperate. Don't be silent. Ask for help: it's normal.

Make yourself hot tea, eat warm food. Drink plenty of plain water. And, of course, do not forget to tell your loved ones how much you love them, hug them more often.

Please don't sit on the phone all the time. Don't read all the news. Save time to read books or watch the series. That's how you protect your nervous system. The constant consumption of heavy news is very draining. Make arrangements with your family that they will call you back and tell you what happened.

When there is no real threat, slow down. It's very important now! Respond to circumstances, speak and move more slowly. Breathe deeply, notice the beauty around you. Yes, it is! The sun looked out, the first snowdrops, the beautiful sky. There is a lot to find, the main thing is to focus on it.

The level of anxiety is affected by the uncertainty of what will happen next and the lack of control over the situation. Therefore, it is necessary to develop a plan in case of an emergency. Together with your relatives, develop a schedule of duties.

Prepare everything you need: pack and place an alarming suitcase near you, and other things where they can be quickly and easily found under any circumstances, prepare the clothes you will wear in case of evacuation.

Discuss in advance with your family who is doing what: who is preparing the shelter, who turns off the gas, who closes the windows, who takes out things.

Editorial Board also suggest to find out what products are worth buying for the future. This list includes not only coffee and sunflower oil!

Air siren is scary, but even more terrible to drive yourself into a state of despair and apathy. It should be understood that phantom siren syndrome is absolutely normal. Many are now in a state of chronic stress.

We all need time to adapt to new reality. Although I will say from myself that I do not want to adapt to this, but I want it to end as soon as possible like a terrible dream. The most important thing now is to regain control of your emotions and minimize symptoms. Only in this way can you act effectively and quickly respond to events.

Tags

See also

New and interesting