It was my tenth birthday in faraway Italy alone, but the children were in no hurry to call me home.

“I’m very tired and just want to go home, but my children don’t understand this,” says Veronika Arkadyevna. 10 years ago, she went to work in Italy and sent all the money she earned to her family. And when she said she wanted to come back, they didn't like it. Why the adult children of a woman are against her return and how this situation was resolved in the end, read further in the article.

I don't want to go home. I didn't leave for a good life. You could say I had to do this to help my family. The husband died suddenly, the doctors fought to the last, but the disease was stronger.

I was living with my two sons in our house at the time. At first we somehow coped, but then the elder married and moved to his wife, and the younger brought his daughter-in-law home. Dima had a hard time, because both her parents and grandparents lived in his wife's house.

And Valik always complained about the fact that our house is old, repairs would do. That's what he asked me to do. He said he had some connections, he said he'd be okay with me. I thought it wasn't such a bad idea. And left.

I thought I would be back in 2-3 years. But, as usual, stuck in a foreign country for almost 10 years. I took care of an elderly Italian woman and sent all the money home. Dima and his wife finally moved away from her parents and took the apartment on credit. I helped them with the money. And Valik started a major repair in the house: it also took a lot of money.

I didn’t think much about it before because I wanted to help my kids. But when I called them recently to let them know I wanted to go home, they weren't happy. The eldest son said that there was nowhere to return, they say, repairs are in full swing. And the youngest said that without my help, he would not repay the apartment loan.

The truth is, I just wanted to go home. My 60th birthday was approaching, and I imagined how all my family and friends would gather. I even managed to make an approximate menu and come up with a birthday cake! But after talking to my sons, I realized that no one was waiting for me at home. The kids just need the money I make here.

The only problem is that the woman I've been looking after all these years is gone. I can visit one of my Italian friends. She said there was a job for me. But what awaits me, I don't know. I didn’t expect it and thought I’d just go back to the kids.

I spent my birthday alone. My sons and daughters-in-law called and congratulated me. They said how much they value and love their mother. On a video link, I saw my 3-year-old granddaughter, whom I had never met in my life. I was so sad that day.

Now I'm thinking about what to do. I don’t want to be a pocket for my kids anymore. But I worry that if I tell them that I will no longer help financially, they will begin to manipulate me. I am very afraid of losing contact with my granddaughter and want to see her as soon as possible.

Stories related to earnings abroad are always associated with some difficulties. Veronika Arkadyevna became a hostage of the situation that she, in fact, created. She didn’t know how consumerist her children were. But when you think about it, it was clear at the beginning when her son suggested she go to Italy.

It’s hard to imagine what a woman’s money was actually worth. No one can guarantee that her son was repairing the house. Perhaps all their conversations are a bubble that will burst when the heroine of the story returns home without warning. What do you think awaits her?

Tags

See also

New and interesting