What to do if the husband’s family wants to shove in the arms of a weak mother-in-law

Everyone has a personal idea of who these heavy relatives are. Moreover, the most foresighted among us long ago thought out a special strategy to “fight” them.

But there are some cases in which no sensible strategy helps to resolve the conflict with insolent relatives. By the way, this is the case that one of the regular readers told us.

Kolya and I have always lived soul to soul, we have two beautiful children and a complete understanding in the family. And while there have always been problems in 8 years of marriage, there’s never been anything we couldn’t solve. But recently I seriously doubted that I married the right man.

A vague doubt crept into my soul on a sunny Saturday afternoon. At least it was a beautiful Saturday before the arrival of my husband’s relatives, who told us from the doorstep that it was now our turn to look after my mother-in-law, and they were no longer involved. “We’ll bring your mother to you on Monday, and then you’ll figure it out yourself,” said my dearest sister-in-law.

My husband’s mother has been ill for a long time, and we have always helped as much as we can. Even despite the fact that on their shoulders unpaid mortgage, two preschoolers, for which eye and eye need, and even two part-time jobs for each, in addition to the main work. At the same time, we all live in a small two-room Khrushchev, and even the repair started a couple of weeks ago (actually because we decided to find part-time jobs).

In short, we have almost no free time, all the worries, and here is the news. It's like snow on your head!

Not that I am not satisfied with life with my mother-in-law or I am just out of harm against her to look after. But my mother is really seriously ill, and she needs round-the-clock care, which we just can not provide her now.

The relatives have everything settled: their own housing, and families have not yet acquired, only they know that they travel to the resorts. And how to look after their mother, so it is already a burden for them, we must hang on us! I honestly don’t know how to do this...

I suggested taking turns to take care of her mother-in-law, and hire special people, and arrange together in a special clinic where she would be provided with proper care. So all these suggestions were instantly dismissed. Relatives horned and flatly refused to take part in the treatment of the mother. And the husband just gave up, even did not object.

I just don’t know what to do or how to do it. And it is pointless to consult with Kolya, he lowered his hands and said: “So mother after all...” – it is understandable, only he will not have to sacrifice everything for her, but me.

Do you think we can find the best way out of this situation?

Tags

See also

New and interesting