The advantages of our apartments, which after moving to the United States seem impossible happiness

When we admire the advantages of living abroad, we tend to forget about the many advantages that we have at home. Even those who have gone to the United States for a dream say that flats In terms of comfort significantly lose housing from the post-Soviet space. Is that really true?

In the United States, my wife and I are now in our fourth year. They first lived in South Carolina, but a year later they moved to California. It is much more interesting and not as wild as in the north of the country. Although we are from the Urals, because in this regard we have no discomfort, says Anton.

I know that my compatriots like to laugh at American private homes. They say that everything is made of plywood and chipboard, a minimum of reliability, knock - fall apart and so on. I cannot confirm these stories. When we visit our friends, we do not notice any inconvenience. It is warm and quite quiet everywhere.”

I can’t say that about American apartment buildings. Who knows, my wife and I may not have been lucky. But wherever we went, the audibility of our neighbors was extraordinary. It seemed that the walls were not just thin, but some leaky even.”

“In terms of heat, everything is fine. But where's the soundproofing? Of course, our man is not surprised that the neighbor's quarrel can be heard. But here we know even what people quietly talk about behind the wall. You still have to get used to it, the man resents.

Do you need interior doors? “The second disadvantage is the absence of interior doors. In an American apartment, one room smoothly flows into another. This may seem like a plus when even a small house feels more spacious in this way. But the same “chip” completely deprives personal space.

“When friends come to see my wife, I cannot shut myself off and work or do other things. Okay, so we have a family of two, but what if we had, say, five? In Russian apartments, each room is isolated. And that's great.

The third point is that American kitchens are just tiny. And this is unusual even for our man, which is cramped in the kitchen is difficult to surprise.

“The fact is that Americans only cook in kitchens. And take food and treat guests in a special dining area in the living room. So they make the kitchens so small that you want to escape from there as soon as you have cooked food, Anton says.

It is always interesting to know the opinions of people who have been able to compare life in different countries. Everything is known by comparison. And because these people like no one clearly see the pros and cons. And many of the benefits that you manage to ignore when you live in the same country are remembered when you move to a place where there are none.

Tags

See also

New and interesting