Bernard Lown: words that heal

Bernard Lown was born in the Lithuanian town of Panevezys in 1921. In 1933, parents immigrated to the United States. In 1942 he received a bachelor's degree Lawn at the University of Maine, in 1945 - a Master of Medicine degree from the Johns Hopkins University. At the present time - Professor Emeritus of Cardiology at Harvard School of Public Health, Director of the Center for Cardiovascular Disease in Brookline

. In 1985 he founded, together with Bernard Lown Academician Yevgeny Chazov international movement "International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War" was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

In 1988, Lown founded an international non-profit organization, to supply urgent medical information physicians in developing countries via electronic technology. Author of several books and more than five hundred articles published in major medical journals in the world. He is married, has three children and five grandchildren.

Withering CONSTANCY

Usually doctors do not recognize the harmful effects of ill-considered statements from which the disease progresses, the pain intensified.

When I was in medical school, John Hopkins (John's Hopkins Medical School), at the Faculty was Dr. Horsley Gantt, unusual physiologist, the only American disciple of the great Russian physiologist Ivan Petrovich Pavlov. Gant created for dogs conditioned reflex in which they quickens the pulse and blood pressure rose.

To this end, he used a small electric shock, electric shock rear paw of the dog immediately after the sound of the bell. After several experiments, the sound of the bell strengthened the frequency of heart rate and increases the pressure without the use of electroshock. Cardiovascular response to the bell continued unabated even with time. Months passed, heart rate and blood pressure jumped as soon as the bell rang.

Of course, not painful reaction to a conditioned reflex is weakened after a while, and then disappear altogether if the conditioned reflex is not created again. According to Gantt, if reflex hurts, the cardiovascular response can be permanent. He believed that the heart is the memory, do not fade with time. This phenomenon he called "shizokinezisom", and I have met patients with the disease.

Such reflexive reaction firmly laid in the nervous system. Unlike conventional accidents, disappearing without a trace of memory, life situations, evoked once the fear, the brain retains so strong, as if they are genetically programmed.

Unfortunately, the good memories go, but remain painful for a long time. Neuro-physiological explanation of reaction to the pain is the fact that the preservation reflex helps to survive. It is possible that for modern humans to adapt reflexes are less important, although instructive value of this information is stored. In addition, traces of memories of pain can alter the normal physiological responses and become a source of pathological mania, which undermines health.

After a long absence with me to the clinic for check back 3. Ms. thick light brown hair and striking blue eyes adorned her just a pretty face. Translucent pale skin resembled Madonna medieval paintings. In forty-six years, she still retained her maiden sweet playfulness, perhaps because she worked as a schoolteacher.

A few years ago the doctor discovered she had ventricular arrhythmia, cardiac arrhythmia with frequent extended pauses heart rate and said that due to mitral valve prolapse, it may suddenly die at any moment. Frightened by this message, she agreed to take numerous medications which bore very bad.

When I saw Ms. 3. the first time, she behaved strangely, was absorbed in her thoughts, answering questions like waking up from a deep sleep, often trembled, her speech was muddled. She took two drugs that cause lethargy, weakness, dizziness, stomach pain and insomnia. Despite the negative effects of these drugs, she was afraid of death and continued to take them.

After careful examination it was found that with the exception of minor mitral valve prolapse she absolutely healthy heart. Jump rhythm of heartbeats should ignore and forget.

I canceled all medicines, insisted that it regained its normal mode of the day and returned to work at the school. She woke up from a nightmare. Her face was completely transformed. When I saw her the next annual meeting, she was cheerful and often laughing.

Five years have passed. At first, Ms. 3. examined my assistant, and found her completely healthy. When I went to repeat examination, she was reading a book on the teaching of English literature in a secondary school. A few minutes we talked about the difficulties of youth education literature, as it was considered obsolete occupation. I kept thinking about it and, among other things, said: "Of course, you have a problem»

. She straightened up, her sweet face was frightened, neck blushed, and the patient began to tremble like trembling when I saw her for the first time. "What does it mean? What does that mean, Doctor? "It was a cry of despair, not a question. Uninhibited woman instantly froze with fear.

In such cases, I know from experience that the best way is to contact a fellow physician. Rather than talk directly with her and try to dissuade her, I turned to his assistant, ignoring the patient, and commented on what had just happened.

"I spoke about the problems faced by our teachers, and this poor woman thinks that I'm talking about her heart. I thought that convinced her that the heart is okay, but the pain once caused her stays, if not extinguished coal. »

"Oh, thank God! What a relief! I really thought you were talking about my heart. »

Words that heal

Despite the fact that the doctor's words can hurt a patient, they also have great potential for the treatment. For the treatment process is not enough scientific data: it includes support positive expectations of patients and strengthen confidence in health care. I know of no more powerful tools than an elaborate word.

Patients crave sympathy, which manifests itself mainly in words. Conversation, a therapeutic effect - underrated weapon physician. Medical practice is continually proving the power of words when doctoring.

It is said that "a blessing in disguise," and I try to find the positive moments in the worst situation. It is not a question of truth or falsehood. This stems from a true desire to heal, that is to help the patient cope with the hopeless situation and to recover if there is the slightest opportunity.

I use two approaches - one for patients with heart disease, the other - for healthy people

. After examination of the patient with severe coronary artery disease, I invite him to his office and his wife for a detailed explanation of the medical report. I speak frankly about possible complications and describe the effects of coronary artery disease, without excluding the possibility of sudden death.

For many doctors, this taboo. However, I believe that a smart patient with heart disease is aware of this possibility. Even if the doctor does not say so, the patient is likely to think about this horror. Often, each of us, waking up from a deep sleep in fear thinking about any symptom as a precursor of cancer or some other kind of fatal disease.

For patients with coronary vascular disease, even a trivial feeling, especially on a dark night, it may seem sudden death omen. The fact that these pathological fears can not share with family and friends, enhances the feeling of fear and helplessness.

The mention of the possibility of sudden death is always accompanied by the onset of tense silence. The patient and his wife look like they want to get away. Very rarely, such a conversation is interrupted with questions. After a detailed explanation I make such a conclusion: "I have raised this issue, because in the next few years this threat eliminated for you. My prediction is based on the last survey.

I do not know of cases of sudden death in patients who have, like you, would not have occurred arrhythmia after monitoring for twenty-four hours, in which there would be no problems with the contraction of the left ventricle of the heart and which could run on the treadmill simulator more than nine minutes with a normal heart rate and heart rate normal increase in blood pressure. These positive indicators are the basis for a good prognosis. »

If the disease is severe and difficult to be absolutely sure of the prognosis, I did not touch on the issue of sudden death.

After consultation with the patient, with whom I spoke about the sudden death, it is the disappearance of tensions. A few years ago I was a young and very clever secretary, who after leaving a patient came to me with a question that tormented her for a long time:

- Dr. Lown, you give your patients the drugs
? - What? - I exclaimed with surprise
. - Marijuana, the drug? - She repeated

. Taken aback, I asked her why she asks a strange question.

- They came from your office to some dope like floating on air. Arrived of countryside from patients asking what is the best restaurant in Boston because they have something to celebrate.

I often think about the source of its clinical cheerful optimism. Of course, I owe a lot to my great teacher Dr. Semyuelu A. Levine, who is a model example for life. Diagnostician rare talent, he also has the amazing ability to communicate with seriously ill.

He always carried a cheerful spirit and an undeniable optimism, based on the foundation of a realistic assessment of the patient's condition. Levine emphasized the importance of constructive concern for the sick: "When a doctor tells a sad forecast or even hints that a man may die, and thus mistaken, he has hit the entire medical profession. It is always best to leave the door ajar, even in severe cases. »

A number of theories proposed by Levine, did not pass the test of time. Many of the medications that he prescribed, proved inadequate and have been replaced by more effective. But the approach to the patient, which he preached, remains true and it becomes even more important in an age of impersonal technology. I have repeatedly watched Levine worried that the golden age of medicine goes, because the care of the patient is replaced by the concentration on the disease.

Approaching the patient, he literally exuded optimism. When Sal (as we called him) finished the consultation, and was going to move away from the patient's bed, he always gently touched his shoulder and spoke quietly: "You'll be all right»

. When the deadly disease has overtaken most Levine, I began to treat some of his patients. Among them was a certain AB, which I advised more than thirty years. Not long ago, during another visit, he recalled that in 1960 he was brought to the hospital, "Peter Bent Brigham" in serious condition, accompanied by bursts of heat.

Diagnosis Levine "subacute bacterial endocarditis" potentially lethal infection of the damaged heart valve. Before the advent of antibiotics, this meant one hundred percent fatal, and now it is a very serious illness. "Levine told me:" You are seriously ill, but do not worry. I know what your disease. I know how to treat you. I know how to treat you, you are fully recovered. " Despite serious condition, I was not worried, and I still continue to live. »

Levine taught me a lot, but without him by my great teachers were patient, thanks to which I got rich clinical practice. They showed me the whole range of complicated reactions to the physician words, it showed how often a simple word can be a source of support and hope. I first realized the extraordinary power of words only when the patient told me about it. Having used a certain word, I mean it negative, but the patient suddenly caught the positive sense, and it has had a decisive impact. It was about the heart rate, which is called a gallop.

Healthy Rhythms Gallop

The patient, a man of sixty-one years old, was seriously ill. Two weeks after a heart attack, but he was still in the coronary intensive care unit. There was a serious struggle for his life. He appeared all sorts of complications. The problem was clear: almost half hypertrophied heart muscle as a result - congestive heart failure

. Due to the rapid blood filling the left ventricle arose stagnation of blood in the lungs. The patient experienced a lack of air and breathing difficulties. At the same time, insufficient blood circulation lowers blood pressure, sedentary posture causes dizziness and fainting.

Shortness of breath and persistent weakness deprived of his power, even to eat, he lost his appetite, he felt sick from the smell of food. Lack of oxygen caused anxiety and sleep disturbances. It seemed that the end was near. Pale and pasty, with a purple tint the lips due to lack of oxygen in the blood, he caught the air as if drowning.

Every morning during rounds my staff and I were in his room like a grim funeral home representatives. We have exhausted the entire stock of trite assurances, but we know that any word can offend him and undermine confidence. We tried to quickly finish the detour to avoid looking too long into his questioning eyes. After consulting with his family, I wrote a decision in his chart, "Do not bring to consciousness»

. One morning he looked better said, that feels better, and indeed vital signs indicated an improvement. I could not explain this change and still did not believe that he would survive. Despite the temporary improvement, the prognosis remained grim. With the hope that a change of scenery will act favorably and he can at least sleep better, I was ordered to transfer him to an ordinary ward. A week later, he was discharged, and I lost track of him.

Six months later, he appeared in my office and looked surprisingly healthy. Although he had cardiovascular disease, pulmonary edema disappeared, as well as other dangerous symptoms. I was shocked.

- A miracle, a miracle! - I cried
. - What the hell kind of miracle ?! - He replied

. He stunned me with his confidence in the fact that no divine intervention explains its supernatural healing. "What do you mean?" - I asked timidly. - "I know exactly when was your so-called miraculous healing", - he said without hesitation

. According to him, he knew that we were at a deadlock, remained confused and did not know what to do. He felt hopeless patients understand our hints of impending death and was ready. He thought that we had lost hope that his song is sung.

Then bring his own words: "In the morning on Thursday 25 April with his band you came and gathered around my bed as if I was lying in a coffin. You put a stethoscope to my chest and forced to listen to all the "healthy rhythm of the gallop." I decided that my heart is still capable of galloping, as a healthy, so I can not be dying. So I recovered. »

The patient did not know that the "gallop" - a bad sign, but it is a symptom of a sound attenuation of the heart muscle, which appears at the left ventricular failure with rapid blood filling of the left ventricle and decrease its stretchability. In fact, a healthy gallop rhythm - a harbinger of sudden death

. Once I was able to prolong the life of the patient under unusual circumstances. It happened quite by accident, but on my side there was a showy bravado. It started uneventfully. I cared for a dying elderly man, and then decided to play himself out of God and act ahead.

The happiest days of my life

With a shock of white hair over dark face, bedridden, Italian Tony was like a lion ready to roar. However, it is either silent, or spoke in monosyllables. His brooding, big, beautiful brown eyes and overhanging eyelids betrayed the old passion and romantic passion, but now he was on the verge of death, suffering from heart failure after a severe coronary artery disease.

The only theme which removes it from the state of torpor, concerned pigeons. He grew them, chased, loved, and which focused on the theme, animated and told me how one of his birds has flown eight miles.

Его привезли ко мне в госпиталь с кардиомиопатией, серьезным поражением мышцы сердца. Болезнь прогрессировала, гипертрофия мышечных волокон охватила две камеры сердца, правый и левый желудочки и привела к сердечной недостаточности с выраженным застоем в малом и большом круге кровообращения.

Ничто не могло поднять его настроения. Он много спал, что являлось благом, но сон был беспокойным, и он просыпался, чувствуя еще большую усталость. Длительные периоды остановки дыхания постоянно прерывались конвульсиями, сопровождавшимися громкими хрипами одышки. Периодическое отсутствие дыхание волновало всех нас. Каждый раз казалось, что вот этот период станет последним.

День и ночь у кровати больного сидела красивая молодая женщина, которую я принимал за его дочь. Он находилась на своем посту, когда я в восемь часов утра начинал обход и когда заходил поздно вечером. Я всегда видел ее в движении, она делала все, чтобы ему было удобно. Такую дочернюю преданность мне редко приходилось встречать.

Ей было чуть больше двадцати лет. Она вела себя спокойно и молчала, как и Тони. Внимательно наблюдая за тем, что делали мы, она редко задавала вопросы докторам и медсестрам. Она была поглощена заботой о Тони, предугадывала все, что ему нужно — хотел ли он попить или ему был нужен писсуар.

Она принадлежала к тем женщинам, красота которых не отпускает вас, и я исподтишка бросал на нее взгляды, чтобы удостовериться: она действительно существует. Было трудно сосредоточиться на болезни и приближающейся смерти в присутствии столь жизнеутверждающей юности. Всегда спокойная, старавшаяся быть незаметной, иногда она тихо плакала. Было ясно, что она питала глубокую симпатию к умирающему патриарху.

Однажды я сказал Тони: «Вам повезло с такой преданной дочерью. Она не отходит от вашей постели». — «Это не дочь, доктор, это моя любовница», — ответил он как бы между прочим.

Я был поражен. Такая возможность не приходила мне в голову.

Несколько дней спустя я сказал, поддразнивая Тони:

— Вы должны на ней жениться.

Он посмотрел на меня с усмешкой и даже мечтательно:

— Нет, доктор. Я не хочу, чтобы сразу после свадьбы она стала вдовой.
— А кто говорит, что это обязательно?
— Тогда, доктор, я готов заключить сделку. Лиза очень хочет выйти за меня, и если вы дадите письменную гарантию, что я проживу еще пять лет, то я готов последовать вашему совету.

Я тут же составил гарантийное письмо, в котором без всяких словесных уловок заявлял, что Тони проживет следующие пять лет. В ближайшие дни он пошел на поправку и вскоре был выписан из больницы. Прошло несколько дней, и я получил открытку с сообщением о медовом месяце этой пары.

Я не видел Тони в течение ряда лет, и меня беспокоила мысль об импульсивности и неразумности моего совета. Нужно ли было предлагать нетрудоспособному человеку с неизлечимой болезнью и на пороге смерти жениться на женщине в расцвете сил?

Вдруг Тони появился у меня. Никаких изменений к худшему не наблюдалось. Войдя в кабинет, он с порога заявил: «Пять лет прошло, доктор. Мне нужен новый контракт». Трудно было поверить, что время пролетело так быстро. Взглянув на его историю болезни, я увидел, что он прав; через месяц у моей «гарантии» пятилетний юбилей. И я еще раз составил бумагу такого же типа.

Лиза стала еще красивей, расцвела и сияла от глубокой любви.

Пять лет прошло, Тони не появлялся. Я начал заглядывать в календарь, ожидая дня юбилея, который быстро приближался. Тони пришел в этот день. Он был сильно болен, тяжело дышал, его мучил отек, который растянул живот до размера большой подушки. Но он держался спокойно, с достоинством, не жаловался. Я ожидал, что он попросит новую гарантию, но он этого не сделал. Раньше он просто требовал невозможного, а сейчас понимал, что нельзя просить такого же человека, как он сам, творить чудеса.

Мы поместили его в госпитале «Питер Бент Бригэм» и пытались лечить, но надежды не было. Мы провели вымывание отека, облегчили дыхание, старались создать комфортные условия. Он прожил еще два года.

Вскоре после его смерти ко мне пришла Лиза. Ей уже было более тридцати лет — возраст зрелой женщины. Ей очень хотелось поговорить со мной, и она начала с эмоциональных слов: «Доктор, вы подарили мне самые счастливые дни жизни. Я уже не ожидаю большего». Ее речь была правильной, оттенки слов тщательно продуманными. «Чего вы хотите добиться в жизни? Вы же еще молоды», — сказал я.

«Я очень хочу получить образование, поступить в колледж. Ведь когда Тони нашел меня, я была проституткой-подростком. Я родом с Юга. Родители бросили меня, когда мне было четырнадцать лет. У меня не было никакого будущего, когда я встретила Тони. Я стала работать в его баре, где была официанткой и разносила коктейли. Тони увлекался махинациями и Бог знает чем еще. Он мог быть грубым и жадным работодателем, но всегда оставался нежным любовником. Он научил меня большему, чем книги. Он научил меня быть человечной. Тони хотел, чтобы я передала вам этот конверт для ваших исследований в области сердечных заболеваний. Это анонимно».

Она быстро встала и ушла. В конверте было сто новых купюр по сто долларов.

Это произошло двадцать пять лет тому назад. Больше я ее не видел.

Я уже говорил, что могу рассказать целый ряд удивительных историй о том, как во время важных религиозных праздников пожилые евреи и китаянки способны отсрочить свою смерть. Такие отсрочки кратковременные продолжаются лишь несколько дней, но я уверен, что это явление обоснованное.

Вполне возможно, что смерть может быть отодвинута и на более длительные сроки. Многие пациенты говорили мне, что им диагностировали смертельную болезнь и говорили, что впереди всего несколько месяцев. Но потом они поправлялись и жили многие годы. Такие необъяснимые выздоровления часто происходят во всех странах мира, в местах, куда стекаются паломники.

Вера и оптимизм обладают свойством продлевать жизнь. Отец медицины Гиппократ говорил: «Некоторые пациенты, знающие, что у них смертельная болезнь, выздоравливают только потому, что довольны своим врачом». Это обеспечивает вера, которую своим оптимизмом поддерживает врач.

Без сомнения, настроенность на лучшее является необходимой стороной хорошего лечения и важнейшим аспектом искусства врачевания. Я никогда не запугивал пациента и никогда не излагал печальный сценарий. Даже если состояние тяжелое, я фокусирую внимание на обнадеживающих признаках, правда не позволяя себе лицемерия в духе Полианны, героини романа американской писательницы Элионоры Портер («Pollyanna» by Eleonor Porter).

В начале моей медицинской карьеры во время рентгеноскопии я ставил зеркало напротив экрана с полупрозрачным изображением. Моя жена сделала маленькую оконную занавеску, которая поднималась и опускалась. Когда сердечной болезни не было, я поднимал занавеску и с радостью указывал человеку на нормальный кардиологический силуэт и здоровый ритм сердцебиений. Когда же изображение высвечивало плохую картину с едва заметными сокращениями и пациента нечем было порадовать, я оставлял занавеску опущенной и не говорил ничего.

Я прихожу к выводу, что вера в лучшее играет решающую роль как для молодых, так и для пожилых больных, не имеющих сердечных заболеваний, но попавших в сети медицинского индустриального комплекса. Тривиальные отклонения от нормы преувеличиваются, и люди встают на путь бесконечного поиска лечения. Попытки убедить людей, что заболевания у них нет, иногда оказываются делом неблагодарным.

Некоторые получают побочный выигрыш от болезни: сочувствие безразличной жены, возможность не выходить на нелюбимую работу, и это может пересилить все неприятности от притворной болезни. Другие же страшно боятся смерти. Простые успокаивающие слова не приносят им облегчения. Врачи, пытающиеся подбодрить пациентов, часто отступают и страхуются, когда пациенты требуют от них определенных утверждений, что болезни нет.

Я нахожу полезным советовать больным не приходить к врачу снова спустя короткое время, если нет симптомов сердечного заболевания. В конце консультации, когда пациент просит назначить следующую встречу, я говорю: «Я хотел бы видеть вас лет через десять».

Пациент нервно посмеивается: «Вы действительно так считаете, доктор? Думаете, я проживу так долго?»

На это я даю различные ответы: «Я бы хотел, чтобы прожили. Ведь сам я живу на ваши деньги» или: «Меня больше беспокоит, проживу ли я. В отношении вас сомнений нет». Обычно консультация заканчивается смехом, а если пациент имеет чувство юмора, то просит немедленно записать его на консультацию. В любом случае он уходит довольным и ободренным.

Повторный визит пациентам с устойчивыми несерьезными сердечными недугами я предлагаю через интервал от двух до пяти лет. Следует учитывать, что все это время они находятся под ежемесячным наблюдением своих врачей, получают бесполезные процедуры и медикаментозное лечение с побочными эффектами.

Однако ценность моего подхода можно проиллюстрировать на примере мужчины, который однажды позвонил моей секретарше и заверил ее, будто я попросил его прийти ко мне в среду на следующей неделе. Я не помнил, чтобы назначил такой прием, не мог даже вспомнить самого пациента.

Когда секретарша стала его спрашивать, он отказался объяснять, в чем дело, но настаивал на том, что болен очень тяжело. К счастью, в нашем графике оказалась возможность для приема. Когда он прибыл, что-то всплыло в моей памяти, но как я ни старался, не мог выкопать деталей из пустот своего мозга. Он спросил, известно ли мне, какое значение имеет этот день. Когда я ответил отрицательно, он удивился и обиделся: «Неужели вы не помните? Сегодня исполнилось ровно двадцать лет, как мы с Вами виделись в последний раз».

Он объяснил, что я наблюдал его отца в больнице «Питер Бент Бригэм», когда двадцать лет назад у того случился сердечный приступ. Пришедшему ко мне пациенту в то время было только двадцать три года, но теперь у него начались сильные боли в груди, и он уверился, что у него отцовские симптомы и может произойти сердечный приступ.

Он был напуган мыслью, что может умереть в любой момент, и пришел ко мне на консультацию. Обследование показало, что у него абсолютно нормальная сердечно-сосудистая система. Когда я заверил его, что заболевания нет, он попросил записать его на прием через месяц. Я отказался и вместо этого предложил ему прийти опять-таки через двадцать лет.

«Вы сказали — ровно двадцать лет», — напомнил он. Еще месяц назад у него не было никаких симптомов кардиологического заболевания, но теперь начались неприятные учащенные сердцебиения, сопровождавшиеся головокружением. Преисполненный страхом перед неотвратимым роком, он понял, что наступило время для повторного визита.

«Я должен был прийти на условленную встречу либо к вам, либо в Самарру», — сказал он совершенно серьезно.

Тщательное изучение истории болезни и физический осмотр не выявили никаких аномалий. Возможно, что симптомы появились из-за повторения прежних волнений. После длительных уговоров я предложил ему прийти на повторную консультацию через десять лет и добавил, что он стал здоровее, чем прежде, а я состарился.

Несколько лет тому назад я спросил русскую женщину-врача из Сибири, в чем суть врачевания. Она дала простой ответ: «Каждый раз, когда я смотрю пациента, результатом должно стать улучшение его самочувствия».

Это очень мудрая мысль, и я по опыту знаю, что улучшение всегда возникает благодаря словам одобрения. Сейчас модно вдаваться в пессимизм, при этом демонстрируя свои философские познания. Человеческая жизнь представляется как явление органического мира, не более чем раскручивание мрачных биологических часов.

Несмотря на интеллектуальную претенциозность, в пессимизме мало смысла. Он разрывает нити общественных связей и способствует отчуждению. Вместо того чтобы расширить свой жизненный опыт, человек копается только в самом себе. В результате наступает деградация, и будущее оказывается под угрозой.

Томас Манн считал, что мы должны вести себя так, будто мир создан для людей. Оптимизм, хотя и является субъективной эмоцией, становится объективным фактором для высвобождения энергии, необходимой для укрепления здоровья. Это кантовский моральный императив, а для врачей, обязанных сохранять жизнь, — императив профессиональный. Даже когда прогноз развития болезни сомнителен, жизнеутверждающие слова способствуют если не выздоровлению, то улучшению состояния больного.

Дети Гиппократа XXI века. Дела сердечные

Автор: Бернард Лаун

Tags

See also

New and interesting