All you need - is a pause in the twenty-four hours

When the mind begins to sink into the emotion, become aware as soon as possible. Someone insulted you. It should be quite a bit of time, so you angry, because this is the mechanism. You get angry, but after a pause.

Everything happens like a flash. At first you will feel insulted. At that moment, when you feel it, it starts flowing the second stream: you start to get angry.

First anger will not be realized; First it will be like a fever. Then he becomes aware. Then you start either express it or suppress.

So when I say "the sooner, the better", I mean that when somebody insults you, realize this feeling as soon as possible, as soon as you feel insulted. And when you are aware, try to stop. Do not give an automatic habit, even for a second.

Even one such stop is very helpful. Longer pause will help even more.

When Gurdjieff's father was dying, he called his son. He was only nine, and Gurdjieff remembered it all my life. Father called him. He was the youngest child, and said - "I am so poor that I have nothing to give you, my boy. But I can give you something that my father gave me. You may now not be able to understand what it meant, because I am unable to understand what it meant when my father gave me this advice. But he turned out to be the most precious in my life, so I give it to you. Save it! Someday you may begin to understand it.

Gurdjieff was all ears. The father said, - "When you feel anger, never answer the first twenty-four hours. React, but let it be this period of twenty-four hours.

Gurdjieff followed the advice of his dying father. He is deeply imprinted in his mind the same day, when his father died, and Gurdjieff said, - "I have practiced a lot of spiritual exercises, but it was the best. I could never get angry in my life, and it changed her direction, her entire stream, because I had to follow the promise.

When someone insults me, I have created a kind of situation. I told this man that'll be back in twenty-four hours to respond, and never answered, because I knew what to say useless. »

Need was only a pause. And Gurdjieff's whole life changed.
© Osho

Tags

See also

New and interesting