A small area called Willetts Point.

There on the outskirts of a small area of ​​Queens called Willetts Point. True under this name he is almost unknown. Most people know him as the "Iron Triangle," or simply "dump» (The Junkyard). And many people about him have never heard of, and are not even aware that in New York there is such a place.

50 photos 1 video via

The Iron Triangle is very different from the rest of the city. In Russia, such a place would look quite organically in India so look streets of many cities. But it is unclear how this could happen in New York. Yes, here it is dirty on the streets, but not enough. There are bad roads, but not to that extent. It seems that this kind of self-proclaimed territory, where acts of anarchy rather than the urban laws and regulations.

2 is on the way you begin to feel that something was wrong. First, on the sidewalks there are small piles of garbage.

3. Then they get bigger.

4. Then begin to fall naked and abandoned cars. Some simply no room in the dust, and broken windows.

5. Some smashed almost all the windows, and began to take off with the body parts.

6. And some already removed almost nothing.

7. Then on the streets and sidewalks disappear asphalt surface and a layer of dust lies along the equal of all the buildings.

8. Then he begins to stink. So strong that schipet eyes and stomach contents back asking. The stench comes from the vast territory where the garbage is sorted, and reloaded it into large trucks.

9. These trucks are made to shoulder all. I walked past them breathing through a hose.

10. And finally, I'm on the spot.

In the first half of the 20th century it was used as a bank of the Gulf of ash dump for dumping of industrial waste. On the day before the unloaded here 100 railcars ash and slag. Over time, the ash dump was closed and abandoned, and the turned the cemetery began to open dumps, factories Recycling and garages. At first, the area was completely not interesting to the authorities, but the growth of the city and of the surrounding areas, the authorities began to think about his future.

Authorities attempted to this area many times since the 60s. But each time the plans for the reconstruction of infrastructure in the area and evict owners showdown remained on paper only. Even seemingly omnipotent Robert Mozess could not defeat the dump. The first serious attempt to get rid of it was made in preparation for the World's Fair in 1964. Mozess, under whose leadership was all the preparation and holding of the World Expo, would like to make Willetts Point part of the neighboring park Flashin Meadows Corona, which was the main exhibit space, but the largest owners of Waste disposal hired a serious lawyer, and the exhibition did not affect their territory.

The latest attempt to get rid of the bad place, has taken the current Mayor Bloomberg in 2007, and the government even forced many owners to sell their land city. It seemed that the process has begun, and soon this place will be the new green neighborhoods instead of piles of garbage and broken cars. But it's already 2012 and dump still in the same place where he was.

14. In the area there are no sidewalks and no street pavement. Due to the confrontation with the owners of landfills city refuses to repair the road.

15. In the area as there is no sewage system and storm water drainage, so the district is constantly flooded during heavy rains.

16. There is the usual New York schedule parking and the streets themselves never cleaned.

17. Although the streets, you can call it the hard way.

18. People do not hesitate to lack of sanitation, and celebrating small need right between the abandoned cars.

19. The area is officially home to only one resident. How many lives here unofficially hard to say. Most of the workers is the Mexicans, and with legality they are usually tight.

20. It seems to me that here you can find people from all over the world, and to find parts for all not very exotic car.

21. Here you can find everything. New and beushnye wheel.

22. Fix any silencer.

23. Repair any damage and restore the machine after any accident. Especially bypassing insurance and write Teitel. There will not ask too many questions. The main thing then do not buy this anywhere in Russia, with a "small" city clean and at Carfax.

24. I suspect that many of the stolen in New York, too, car around here. Lie on the shelves carefully dismantled for parts.

25. The local inhabitants are afraid of the camera. And many simply walked past a man with a camera in hand covering the face or turn away. So I almost did not shoot people or do it on the sly.

26. I have been here in the last year to weld fastening otgnivshee gum muffler. It turned out that this is not possible in a conventional service station and I came here.

27. From the first time I realized that the car is off limits here. Firstly because of the lack of roads. The last visit I was struck four times the tray motor yet reached the desired box. True if the morning was rain and a little local streets were flooded. This time the weather was dry and the roads seemingly has not been so terrible.

28. But there was another reason why I went on foot. In almost every workshop or disassembly has shill. Workshops there are hundreds. While you will pass along the street, you will run up to more than a dozen people to offer their services. And stick quite intrusive. The competition is huge.

29. And on the streets themselves going chaos. The roads are broken in the trash. All go as they please, and curb hammered car. I arrived there in the evening and it was easier. In the morning, a day off, just do not overcrowded.

30. About the painting chambers, repair boxes and other erunden is not thinking. Make a cheap and therefore angry. Cheap prices on US course. For example, here repair my car in the usual garage, it costs more than the official dealer of Volvo in St. Petersburg. Who lives a long life, probably he knows all the hidden trails and special masters. But, when I arrived, I pulled to the first that fell to the master, and then long to recover from the invoiced amount.

31. divorce on the money here, too, they like them. The mechanic must choose not less picky than a lawyer or dentist.

32. Returning to the story. This preparation of the car for painting. Probably in Russia where many make a similar operation on the street. But not only in New York. Here a number of passes. For such activities soldered so fine that the desire to repair machines will leave you a long time. So it happens everywhere except the Iron Triangle. There is a normal picture.

33. Paint is also pleased. Some machines are painted on the street.

34. A little sketches from the streets. Local garbage.

35. Above all this mess stands the modern baseball stadium, standing across the street.

36. Just above his head are planes taking off from the nearby LaGuardia Airport.

37. In addition to shill carved figures out of scrap parts.

40. Parking in front of the local cafe recalled dashing 90-s.

41. Machinery warehoused putting each other.

42. The coloring complements loud Mexican music and the smell of smoke from the many braziers on which to prepare food.

43. The space in front of every shop does not work instantly turns into a dustbin.

44. When I saw the guy pursuers door two roosters, not even surprised.

45. signboard.

46. ​​View of the mess on top. Although the best views can be enjoyed from the stadium.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting