In the USSR brazenly stole the recipe for “Bird’s milk”, invented his Polish confectioner

Classic "Bird's Milk" My favorite dessert comes from the USSR. Or rather, many people think so. But that's not really the case. In the Soviet Union, candy became so popular that most people of that generation associated with childhood.

Although I didn’t live in the Soviet Union, I used to be crazy about this treat too. I always bite off the chocolate first and then enjoy the soft soufflé. Admit it, do you do that? I wondered who invented the recipe for these sweets and when they first appeared in the USSR. The story of Bird’s Milk is fascinating!

The classic "Bird's Milk" Let's start with the most interesting. “Bird’s milk” is of Polish origin, and its true recipe belongs to the hereditary pastry chef Jan Vedel. In 1845, his grandfather Karol moved to Warsaw, where he opened his own chocolate company. He had a lot of experience in the pastry business. So he was able to get his business going quickly.

We can say that Karol Wedel became a pioneer in this market. There were always a lot of people in his chocolate shop. Soon the man opened his own confectionery company, which he later handed over to his son. And from him the case went to Jan Wedel.

The confectioner presented candy "Bird's milk" in 1936. Soon their fame spread across Europe. Interestingly, the name for the delicacy Vedel borrowed from the collection of V. I. Dahl “Proverbs of the Russian people”. And it sounded like this: "Everything is rich, but no bird's milk."

In the USSR, delicate souffle candies appeared only 30 years later, in 1966. This happened thanks to the then Minister of Industry of the USSR Vasily Zotov. He came to Czechoslovakia and tried Bird's Milk. The taste so impressed the man that he took home a couple of sweets. But not just to eat them at leisure.

He gathered the most professional confectioners of the Soviet Union and set a specific goal for them. The classic "Bird's Milk" must be recreated! The lucky woman who managed to do it best was Anna Chulkova.

She changed the recipe. If in the Polish version the souffle was made on the basis of gelatin, then in the Soviet agar-agar was used. The recipe was received by all enterprises of the USSR. He also visited the famous Prague restaurant. There was the best Soviet confectionery. It was there that confectioners, by analogy with candy, created the first cake in history “Bird’s milk”.

The recipe cake came from the pen of the famous confectioner of the USSR Vladimir Guralnik. He gave his whole life to the culinary arts and designed at least 25 cakes. When he first tasted chocolate souffle candy, he immediately decided to make the same cake.

Takprosto worked on the recipe for six months. Vladimir Mikhailovich took into account the smallest details, strived for the ideal. The form for the cake the confectioner chose atypical: "Bird's milk" became rectangular. And for its basis, Guralnik came up with an original semi-finished product - muffin dough.

When people tasted the cake, the pastry began to burst with queues. The daily production of 30 cakes soon approached the figure of 600 per day. But even this was not enough to meet the needs of everyone who wants to buy this delicacy.

After 4 years, the recipe was officially transferred to the confectionery enterprises of the country. Bird’s milk cake began to be produced on an industrial scale. In 1982, for the first time in the history of the USSR, a patent was issued for the cake.

By the way, Vladimir Mikhailovich Guralnik is still alive. Today, he is interested in trying various variations of the famous cake. He likes a lot of them. However, he encourages people to always pay attention to the composition of the delicacy.

The original recipe uses such products: wheat flour of the highest grade, sugar, butter, butter, butter margarine, vanillin, condensed milk, citric acid, starch molasses, agar-agar and chocolate.

You can make a cake with your own hands. Of course, this is not an original recipe, but the delicacy will be incredibly tasty. Instructions for cooking politely shared my colleague Alexander Dyachenko. You'll find her on the link.

Do you like the classic "Bird's Milk"?

Tags

See also

New and interesting