Why Pink Floyd chose Ukrainian singer Andrey Khlyvnyuk for their first song in many years

The other day Andrey Khlyvnyuk gave the first since the beginning of the war detailed interview. The leader of the group “Boombox” told the host of the program “Star Trek” Daniel Salem about the injury and those who were nearby. He shared the music he listens to and commented on the success of the hit “Chervona Kalin”, which became the personification of the unity of Ukrainians in the face of Russian aggression.

Recall that Andrei Khlyvnyuk was one of the first in the Ukrainian show business took up arms to protect Ukraine. Fatal morning on February 24, the musician met in the ranks of the Territorial Defense Forces. On March 26, he was wounded in the face during mortar shelling of positions.

Next to me was my sister Skif. He was the first to examine the wound and put a bandage on it, Andrei recalls. It felt like someone was punching. It was in the process of falling, because we were just jumping into the hole, fleeing the aiming fire.”

Fortunately, the wound was quite mild. Therefore, soon the artist himself contacted fans in his Instagram. “These are the Nazis you are fighting, you idiots,” Khlyvnyuk addressed the audience from Russia.

It should be noted that the frontman of “Boombox” still keeps this shard of Russian mines. And recently decided to make a pendant out of an unfortunate piece of metal and put it up for auction.

About the dream to see children

Recall that Andrei is raising an eleven-year-old son Ivan and eight-year-old daughter Alexandra. And the separation from the children torments him even more than the consequences of injury. “I miss the kids terribly,” he admits in an interview. - I can't call you. I get smeared right away. I'll just call and we'll talk and she'll say, "Daddy, the war's over soon, will you be able to deal with these assholes?" And Dad. I'm getting really smeared. From an hour to 6 hours I cannot work normally.

Music he listens to in war

As a musician, Daniel Salem could not help but ask Hlyvnyuk about the music he listens to in the war. It turned out that in a difficult moment the soloist "Boombox" supports classical rock. The playlist features Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC, Royal Blood and reggae king Bob Marley.

How did the idea come to sing "Chervona Kalinu" While Andrey listens to rock, the whole Ukraine listens to his version of the “Red Kalina”. With the beginning of Russia’s invasion of the Ukrainian land, the anthem of the Sich Streltsy gained phenomenal popularity. It is performed by professional musicians and ordinary people all over the world.

about:blank

It all started with the idea of breathing new life into a Ukrainian rebel song. On February 26, patrolling Sophia Square, Khlyvnyuk a chapel sang the song “Oy at the loozy chervona kalina”. The video hit Instagram and quickly went viral. It has been viewed 576,000 times so far.

But that was just foreplay. Just a few days later, the baton was picked up by the leader of the band The Kiffness David Scott. The musician from South Africa added a musical substrate to the vocal part of Khlyvnyuk. As a result, the video track gained more than 9 million views on YouTube. This is the highest result among all Ukrainian hits.

View this post on Instagram

Posted by Boombox (@boombofamily)

Then more. In April, the legendary British rock band Pink Floyd broke their 28-year silence. The reason was a joint clip with Khlyvnyuk for the song “Oh, at the loozi chervona kalina”. In just two days, the song "Hey, Hey, Rise Up!" reached the top of the world charts. And considering that the money collected from the release goes to help Ukraine, this is just great news!

about:blank

“This song could be any rebel song that has the same roots as in this song,” says Andrey. According to the artist, a lot of factors came together so that his “reading” of the old song touched the souls of people. Today, Andrei Khlyvnyuk continues to serve in the ranks of the patrol police. He hopes that after the victory he will be able to return to his favorite business. And we will add from ourselves: "Return alive!"

Ukrainian music is beautiful in all its forms. And the war just proved it. In our article, we talk about the stars of Ukrainian show business, who are actively fighting on the music and information front.

Tags

See also

New and interesting