Unusual traditions of different countries

What is normal for some, for others can be surprising and sometimes even shocking. Today's edition. "Site" I want you to know, dear reader, 9. strangenessThat we don't understand. Each tradition can teach us some valuable knowledge about the country and its culture.

Unusual traditions
  1. One of the most unusual and quirky You can see it in a country that I associate with Andersen's fairy tales, colorful houses and the Little Mermaid monument in Copenhagen. It turns out that the Danes periodically take a shower from cinnamon. Yeah, you heard right! The truth is not everything, but only girls or guys who are 25 years old and who still have not found their soul mate and have not married. Such guys on their birthday receive “punishment” from friends in the form of a bucket of cinnamon, which they generously shower from head to toe unmarried and unmarried birthday parties.

After such a “ritual”, the smell on the body lasts quite a long time, so all people can just go and get acquainted with a person who smells of cinnamon.

2. But in Germany it is much more romantic! Guys install May trees, decorated with colored ribbons, at the house of his beloved. The tree lasts until June 1st, then the planter must pick it up. If the girl reciprocates the guy, she invites him to dinner, gives him a box of beer or just a kiss (each region of the country has its own customs).

3. In France, there is a tradition to help find the other half. The sophisticated French approached the problem with their inherent grace. Every year, on November 25, St. Catherine’s Day (the patroness of unmarried girls and women) is celebrated throughout the country. According to tradition, on this day, free young French women, wearing extravagant hats (mainly green, red or yellow), defile through the streets of their cities. Ladies give passers-by radiant smiles. The main purpose of the parade is to attract the attention of potential suitors.

4. And this tradition certainly would not prevent those men who do not particularly help their wives at home! The fact is that in Kenya, it is customary to dress up a husband in women’s clothes, in which a man must walk for at least a month. It is believed that in this way the husband will be able to fully feel the difficult and difficult female lot and will treat his young wife with more love in the future.

By the way, this wedding custom is strictly observed in Kenya and no one objects. Especially a wife who enjoys taking photos of her husband and keeping them on a family album.

5. Every year, India hosts the Aadi Festival, where priests are required to smash coconuts on the heads of their followers. Thus, the locals express gratitude to the deities, call for good luck and health. By the way, about health: the ceremony is constantly monitored by doctors who provide medical care to victims after the ritual. I don’t want to be a part of this festival!

6. In the Brazilian tribe of Satere Mave there is enough tradition Initiation into men. For this, the young man must undergo a special ritual. The boy puts on his hand a glove full of ants paraponeer, whose bite is 30 times more painful than the bite of a wasp, and only after 11 hours of this test the young man becomes a man.

7. And this tradition offends me most of all! In the community of Tidong (Indonesia), a married couple cannot go to the toilet for as long as 3 days after the wedding. Residents of this area believe that otherwise the marriage will not be happy. The newlyweds are looked after by their family members so that they do not break the tradition, and provide them with a small amount of food and water.

8. I don’t like Scottish wedding traditions either. It's called "Bride Blackness." Before the wedding, the future bride must be stained by wild Scots. And the bride herself and her outfit! Ingredients of blackening in different clans were somewhat different, but the substance must have included flour, sour milk, rotten eggs, some smelly sauce. In some places, molasses and coal dust were added. Having doused the girl, she was then sprinkled with feathers.

So the girl was supposedly cleansed of evil spirits and prepared for family life. The ancient Scots believed that after this all household troubles would seem trifling! The most terrible thing is that this rite still exists in some mountainous areas of Scotland, and at one time to get married without it was very problematic.

9. Wedding in China brings different emotions! While other cultures associate weddings with joy and smiles, in China the bride spends a month before the ceremony in tears. And all family members also join her crying. So strange they express the joy of the future marriage of a girl.

I also suggest you to learn about 34 national dishes of different countries that everyone should try. Just look at them, how beautiful and delicious it is!

Me. traditions of some countries It's just discouraging. The situation with cinnamon in Denmark is puzzling! I don’t want to be there on my birthday before I get married.

Which tradition surprised and remembered you the most? I would be glad if you shared your opinion with us in the comments!

Tags

See also

New and interesting