Seth Godin: sometimes we choose the wrong incentives

Famous marketer Seth Godin explains how to finally learn to meet deadlines and achieve results.

Most of us require external motivation to do the job the best way.

To Wake up before dawn, you need to set an alarm.

Presentation. Deadline. Live performance. The threat of non-payment, ahead verification or other crisis situation.

We can use all these situations to dig deeper, to find new resources and to overcome self-doubt.

The problem is that sometimes we choose the wrong incentives. We begin to serve themselves to these incentives, are in a situation that brings harm to us (and others), instead of improve.

It is important to understand that our zone of discomfort is a choice, not a predetermination. For example, if you require a deadline, but you realize that it costs you a lot of money (because the short way is more expensive), then you should do the hard work for the definition of new forms of discomfort. Problem deadly deadline is that if you missed it – you are dead.

If you have to force yourself to work, you need to give a lot of promises and to accompany them all sorts of noise, then this noise will harm your reputation. Then it makes sense to look for new ways to force myself to make more of an effort.

When we hear stories about narcissistic people or ineffective managers, often this is because someone chose the wrong form of discomfort (although should have known...).

Matt McInnis: 3 bad habits I learned growing up in the Apple — and how I got rid of them

Tony Robbins: Remember that all actions have consequences

We can safely say that the difference between professional, Amateur and those who do not make any effort lies in the choice zone of discomfort. Name it, name it. Your area of discomfort is a choice, and if it doesn't work for you, fix it. The right tool, like all tools, is professional.

Author: Seth Godin, P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Source: ideanomics.ru/articles/7837

Tags

See also

New and interesting