I am traveling alone, and believe me, it only strengthens my marriage

Before marriage I dated my husband for 11 years and often traveled alone. No one is embarrassed. But since we got married, it seems the world cares. I'm tired of the questions, and write this post as a reply to everyone.

We started Dating in April 2005, when we were 15 years old. And in June I'm alone, without parents, left for a month in a small Argentine town of via Del Totoral, where lived my uncle. This journey forced me to grow up. Before, I depended on family: they fed me, entertained and told what to do and where to go. And suddenly I realized: I'm creating my own reality. I realized that traveling alone bring up your confidence and will allow us to grow and improve.

It was then that we took for granted the fact that travels will become a part of my life. And a very important part. The following summer I went to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands. My desire to explore the world alone growing and always met with support from friends, my boyfriend and family.

But we had to exchange rings and put their signatures where you want, how attitudes have changed dramatically. No, my husband still supported, but friends and acquaintances have ceased to understand me.

Immediately after the wedding I was going on a trip to the jungles of Central America to gather material for "Naturalist" — my journal about wildlife. I was very happy about the upcoming journey. I even thought that this betrayal of the family, but responded that way all around.

They were in obvious bewilderment.

"What, he's letting so long to travel?" — asked ones. Like I'm incompetent and my actions responsible husband.

"Aren't you afraid he will abandon you while you're driving?" — said the second. Hmm, thanks for the warning, but let's face the truth. If he is willing to run, because I'm not home for a few weeks, then this is not the person that I want to age.

"But you're kind of just got married!" — amazed others, apparently, having in mind that marriage is something like rope, which you tied to the leg of her husband.

I wonder if were travelling my husband, it would be just as stuck? I'm sure not. If a man somewhere travels for months, it is considered normal, ranging from the Vikings with their war campaigns to contemporary leaders. But people are not prepared for the fact that long trips can drive wife.

I'd be lying if I said that all these questions I do not touch. Hurt, and how. I was beginning to doubt that my travels are so important if all around, and even those whose opinions I respect, think I should stay at home. Maybe our marriage really necessary, so I never left the family nest? But... what will I do?

I'm a freelance journalist, founder of the journal "Naturalist", I'm planning to run your business, and I love to travel around the world.

Whether our relationship stronger, if I can sit at home as tied?

I can confidently answer: NO, they won't!

I write these lines in a small cafe called "eve" in the town of San Ignacio in Belize. Not because I "left her poor husband one", but because when I do what fills me with happiness, I am able to give him and our relationship much more.

And I, in the end, love to travel alone. I like that I can only count on myself, I like to solve unexpected problems, and I like to make new friends. A model housewife in the style of 50-ies — it's not about me.

We are married, single or somewhere in between — doesn't matter. We should be able to do what fills us with happiness. If marriage becomes an obstacle to the dream, it means that in your life something went wrong.

I will be travelling alone and I will call beloved of those places where you get cell reception. And I'm glad our relationship is only our choice. And nobody can take that away from me this freedom.

Source misadventuresmag
Photo on Unsplash preview, Ali Wunderman / Instagram.com
Author Ali Wunderman (Ali Wunderman)

See also
10 ideal country for travelling alone
8 reasons to travel alone
"Travel changed me"

via www.adme.ru/tvorchestvo-pisateli/puteshestviya-izmenili-menya-1164260/

Tags

See also

New and interesting