Two months from the LG G Watch R

Hello, Geektimes! B> wearable electronics gradually wins his audience: It all began, of course, with geeks and gadzhetomanov, but today it is a no-no, and you see somebody on the subway or on the street fashion "umnochasy ".

My acquaintance with the platform Android Wear started almost since the release of the very first models, and continues to this day. Of all passed through my hands copies of most pleased (and remained in total) round the clock from LG. Experiences with their two-month operation in the "every day" today and we'll talk.

Experience of owning a "smart" watch, as I said, I have: been and LG G Watch, Sony SmartWatch and 3, and even Moto 360; except that with the Gear Live from Samsung did not have time to talk. Of course, round the clock and produce a totally different impression, and in a life different from the square. In Moto 360 "dented" design with a lower segment was just log in the eye, and, despite their lightness and simplicity, they have me quite accustomed. But with LG went a completely different story.

Look and feel
The share of LG Watch R does not fall difficult fate pioneer. But first came the proportion of hours that are not made for reporting to the board of directors or technology demonstration, and for the user.

Beauty with a bright strap from slashgear. I>

What distinguishes Watch R models from those that are already present in the market?

The first round is really a design that is available to any interested person in the Russian Federation (if operedelёnnoy amount in your wallet, of course, as Moto360 officially in Russia are not supplied).
Excellent appearance, suitable to the suit, shirt and tie, and to normal everyday clothes, not related to the business style. The watch case is made of stainless steel and the strap - calfskin.
OLED-display, which allows you to keep a watch in a state of active whole day without extinguishing the screen. After the operating experience of the previous models I had a lasting impression that I enjoyed some demo platform Android Wear, rather than ready-to-use product. At the same no hint of "incompleteness" in terms of hours of daily operation: the morning wore on hand all day are using in the evening - removed: everything as normal hours. With one exception. Watch something really clever!
The insides of all smart watches in the market about the same 1 sup>: Snapdragon 400, 512 RAM, 4GB of internal memory, the battery 400 with a small mAh, WiFi and BT 4.0 LE. The differences are mainly in two parameters: the size and shape of the display (and of course, his resolution) and the presence of the sensor heartbeat.

1 sup> - In Gear Live - very modest battery (300 mAh), and Moto 360 uses as Ti OMAP CPU old and also does not shine volumes battery.
Blockquote> Display from LG Watch R - round, resolution - 320x320 pixels cropped square, diagonal (or rather diameter) - 1.3 & quot ;. Made by technology P-OLED, ie does not have a separate backlight - each pixel is mikroskopichskim LED and emits light independently. Moreover, the display is made by the same technology as that of the notorious LG G Flex: it is flexible, since Use a plastic substrate. Although this feature is in hours not enabled, it adds them to a pair of glasses on a scale of survivability.

About the heart rate monitor is enough to say that it is present. Use фотоплетизмограф - Sensor with bright LED that "shines" skin and "see" the pulsation of blood in the vessels. The data obtained in the software clock registers your pulse.

Similar methods are used in a serious medical equipment, but there are not sharpened sensors under the mobility and low power consumption, "see" better and allow you to analyze the picture is much honest: identify diseases of the cardiovascular system and examine the internal organs of a non-invasive way.

Personal experiences and opportunities devaysa
Watch Watch Watch ... On the one hand - it is unclear why they are needed today an urban resident (except, perhaps, Ponte). Time is almost always possible to determine on the phone, with it will be more accurate than any other source: regular synchronization with Internet services allows you to not bother on the annual backlog at 5-7-10-20 seconds. On the other hand - it is not about mechanical or electronic chronograph, and a modern high-tech gadget combines fukntsii fitness center and bracelet notifications. Watches in this case - a nice bonus, no more.

Almost immediately after his appearance at me, watch updated platform AW 4.4 to 5.0, and the review deals specifically with the latest software.

In the "factory" supply available to us as much as 24 different clock face: some of them - the standard solution for the platform Android Wear, part - the fruit of the creations of designers from LG.

I personally prefer the app Weather Time for Wear : in standby mode, it provides a minimalist digital watch a short weather forecast and shows the number of steps you've walked. In the active state of the same information and display it convenient to set up. Who has a "smart" watches - realize anyone yet - can look at the screenshots of Google Play, even though they do not disclose all the features of the dial, and we are not discussing third-party applications.

Autonomy hours is amazing for this class of devices. If you use the clock all day with the "unfading" screen, and simmer it only at night (translate LG Watch R in «Theater mode») - Battery confident enough to use two days from 9 am to 11 pm. If you turn automatic activation of the display on the "gesture" (wrist movement itself, gyroscopes very successfully tracks the position of hours and the number of false positives is surprisingly minimal) - enough for three days. Charge the watch from zero to one hundred percent for a half hour with the help of docking stations. By itself, the dock - plastic, on it there MicroUSB connector for network s / y or connect to PC USB-port. You can only charge the watch from him, no backup charging method (such as the connector for the plug on the clock itself) is not provided.

In addition to stunning vitality of the clock, I want to note is really a noticeable increase in operating time on a single charge at the "parent device" - a smartphone. In half of the cases it is sufficient to look at the clock to make sure that nothing important has come and "wake up" and multicore mnogodyuymovy smartphone does not make sense.

In addition, having your smart watches, it is practically impossible to forget or "lose" the phone. There are приложения, that "cause" phone hours, if you can not find at home. In addition, the watch vibration motor honk if you've gone too far, and the phone was out of range of Bluetooth-connection. Or phone went from you without your knowledge.

Interface on a round display looks unusual, but the feeling that "something wrong", does not arise. On the contrary, round the clock look much nicer and "clock" than their square counterparts. And even though the luminous dial, causing far fewer questions than square models with IPS-display. The main thing - not to speak publicly in them, "Okay Google!» :)

Basically I used the clock as a fitness tracker, recorded the results jogging, periodically (gee-gee, bought a watch, damn it) looked at them time. Distortions in the form run GTA III or install a separate browser did not hold: first, a round screen that does not contribute, in the second is what I was then five-inch Nexus? :) And of course, I received dozens of notices in the day. About the letters, messages Hangouts, calls. Every evening, the clock was a little less than 50% of the charge; if you did not forget to "extinguish" them at night - in the morning index fell another 3.2 points. In principle, two days the unit was actually lives. Especially if you put out the screen when it is not needed (ie at night). In addition, they are charged very quickly, and even 15 minutes on the dock produce a significant increase in performance batteries.

Some complaining of a lack of mechanical strength of such devices. Not to say that I treated devaysu deliberately or carelessly, on the contrary, blew dust from them, but no drops, shocks, immersion in water and other hardships of everyday life have left any visible traces on the screen or case. All the same coal-black contour, even on the edges of the device: the most outstanding and subject to the damaged area.

Pleasantness and disadvantages
The manufacturer claims Ingress protection standard IP67, and honestly it observes. Not that I MUST wash every day in the shower certainly with the clock, but the experiment on the first day after the purchase, they still stood, and further daily rinsing in warm / cold / soapy water had no effect on their performance. Strap, however, would not be happy in such a procedure - but we assume that daily bathing hours are the exception rather than the rule. In addition, if you do not fancy a water treatment without monitoring the time spent, you can always replace the leather strap on "sport" or metal bracelet: attachment is pretty standard. Come down for pleasure? Quite.

Magnetic docking station, on the contrary, raises questions. Here it would seem engineers LG - intelligent people have done a beautiful watch, used the latest technology and created a cool display. What do not have enough in their Asian head to make attachment to the docking station so that the user did not care which side "flop" hours to charge?

No, of course, I did not lose anything if I will check every time, put the device correctly or not. Over time, the "right" will enter into a habit, and I will not check at all. But watch from Apple certainly deprived of the problem! You suck!

Another point of contention, I would call button design, extinguishing screen. On the one hand, it gives the image of the authenticity of the hour, something resembling and the stopwatch, and a crown at the clock. On the other - though Circuits and spinning, but no function to its rotation is not bound (most likely because of the rotation - a consequence of purely mechanical fastening parts and does not tracked). In general, the key issues of the crown-is, but rather, they are cavils.

ITelefonov owners, unfortunately, are satisfied with the expectation of Apple Watch for a lot of dollars. Rumors of official support for iOS Wear remain rumors. A recent video verification work third-party application from one of the authors of Cydia, which implements some features of Android Wear on iOS, using the protocol of hours Pebble .

Results of
It just so happened that I talked to almost all popular models of hours on the Android Wear, and some have been long enough for personal use. So, after LG G Watch R they all seem to be garbage and just a demo version of Android Wear, and use them now do not want to.

LG G Watch R and look great on posters and in real life. I>

LG Electronics continues to make quality devaysa: Nexus'y first, then LG G Flex unusual and interesting flagship in the face of G3, now - a watch that is really fun to use every day. One minus at them - the price of the dollar not very democratic .

We are waiting for LG Watch R2: With a normal dock, who do not care how to position the phone in three colors (hee-hee), including gold. What a pretentious LG Watch R2-D2 Edition in white and blue design, of course!

Our previous reviews:
» Evolution mice Razer DeathAdder and the example of Naga
"Learning from TV-flagship Philips: Part 1 | Part 2

Thank you for your attention!

Source: geektimes.ru/company/mvideo/blog/247578/

Tags

See also

New and interesting