Overview Sony SmartWatch 2

This post has prompted me to write these wonderful obscurity clock from Sony Habre. I collected it from their records standalone-blozhika, with processing and updating data for July 2014.

Watch I got for my birthday (October 2013) as a gift.
The first impression of the things you get from the box - it's made with high quality and beautiful watches there are already fastened with a strap in the manner of expensive watches. Generally, the box and the watch itself immediately impressed expensive things - at least $ 1,000, and it's very nice.

On sale is a version with a rubber strap and metal bracelet, the store sotmarket (buy watches there) does not give choose what to bring. I got the version with the strap, but it is better to try to buy a bracelet. Rubber poor quality, similar to silicone wipes. In the first hours of the rubber straps were much better. And the rubber strap looks bad.

I after 3 months strap broke:

Very, very bad strap! I have been on it a bit of a mild allergy. So I advise to take the bracelet at once.

Find replacement was not so easy: in shops are usually sold much more narrow straps, but one was found to choose just a couple of wide. The price was low, so I decided to buy at the moment, but as we know, there is nothing more permanent than temporary - Strap liked, and settled down to change it no longer wants.

Leather, was bought for 400 rubles:

Incidentally, the appearance is very similar to the "original» Sony, which they sell for 1000r!

Design h4> Watches have become more but thinner. Finally over epic useless adapters and fasteners - now strap attaches directly to the clock, without any adapters, this is what has allowed to make them thinner. Honestly, after LiveView (this is the first version, still under the brand SonyEricsson), I have long waited for this change in design, does not understand why someone may need to mount them on the belt through the belt clip.

The device is made of metal, the edges are somewhat similar to iPhone 5. Apparently metal - aluminum, painted black. So we must be careful - scratches will, although the paint noticeably stronger than the iPhone 5, not otderesh fingernail. I touched a metal part of the door lock and got a small scratch.
Upd 2014: Now clock made from unpainted aluminum (as iPhone 5S Gray), so that their scratch resistance is much higher. Accordingly, now they are not black, but rather gray. Obviously, the scratches are less noticeable on a gray background.

Perception h4> Watches probably fit only for men, because they are still quite large, on a female hand is looking. First version - looks better on a female hand, but for 2014 they have already so good.

Display h4> Here a significant step forward. Now the points:

Put a normal TFT screen (the first screen was OLED, similar to the first color STN displays), that is, it was normally seen on the sun rose resolution (220 x 176 vs. 128 x 128), contrast and color rendition (the feelings, honest 16bit outputs). The screen is no longer a weak point, it is pleasant to look at it, you can all see in any lighting conditions. And most importantly - is now the time is always displayed! Now add to this the fact that the display - TFT c honest good reflective layer, you can see the time in any time (except for absolute darkness). This is a very big step forward and a huge increase to the main functionality - the time display. Behind the screen safely put SW2 6 points out of 5.

Upd 2014: The main screen is now fully integrated kastomiziruetsya and third party widgets. You can choose any style of time display, dial and additional information from plugins (of course, if the developers have implemented it). Control interface looks like this:

Specifications h4> The clock is based on a microcontroller STM32 F4 , at its core - core ARM Cortex- M4F, the maximum frequency of 180 megahertz (at what frequency actually works - is unknown). First SmartWatch (MN2) used STM32 F2 , at the core of ARM Cortex-M3 , the maximum frequency of 120 megahertz. What's funny - for communication via Bluetooth chip used by Ericsson - former partner Sony, in combination - the inventor of Bluetooth.

In the processing of API is available up to 3 simultaneous touches.

Compared with MN2 added new sensors, magnetometer, and the light meter (light sensor), and two buttons, fully available in API: back and menu. Sensors can use only one active application, and only if the clock is not sleep, so pedometers will not (can be implemented in the future).

Upd 2014: magnetometer software was removed, even the old plug it no longer "see". The official reason: poor quality. And it worked, and the truth is horrible. Light meter only recently involved in the new firmware that is used to automatically adjust the brightness.

The firmware is updated automatically on Bluetooth.

Is it a myth: all watches from Sony are working on their own OS, not on Android, though SW2 in terms of interface is very similar to it.

There tapping activation, you can set the sensitivity. But unlock without pressing the Home button is still impossible.

User Interface h4> One of the major and long-awaited new: in the latest firmware clock can work independently, without having to connect to the phone. Time and date can be set manually, also has built-in applications: an advanced alarm clock, stopwatch, timer, calculator, analog "snake" and a flashlight (just includes screen at maximum brightness). Lacking only the calendar card.

The settings can be hidden with a clock and icons of plugins to control the style of the notice for each plugin.

If there is no communication with the phone in the applications that use the API v.2, you can read the stored notification / message. Naturally, applications that require interactivity (called Control API) even if they use the API v.2 not operate without regard to the phone (their icons are gray).

Another of additions: all icons are stored in hours, there is no such as in MN2, when a few moments when you activate the clock icon is still loaded, then all at once, without delay.

All of these easy to use, the interface is not a bit of brakes (praise Sony), however, the kinetic scrolling stores enough energy in a strong "push" (like on iOS compared to Android). Also have the opportunity to defend the clock input of PIN in the absence of movement for 5 minutes, and globally disable vibration.

You can enable the vibration when you touch the control buttons.

Icons can be sorted alphabetically or by frequency of use. The preferred obviously sorted by frequency of use. You can change the background image, but only the choice of the preset.

Style of notifications can be changed:

Summarize the UI - SW2 received tremendous innovation, is now in the absence of communication watches remain operational. Improved the responsiveness of the interface to the ideal: now nowhere brakes and delays. So once again safely put 6 out of 5. I really admire Sony, in 2013, a thorough approach can be seen only in rare products from Apple.

Contact h4> The clock operates on Bluetooth 3.0, equipped with a chip NFC (which is needed except for the first pairing). At first pairing had problems dropping the application itself SmartWatch 2 on the phone. I have a Motorola RAZR MAXX HD, and installed the firmware without the Russian language for the Russian language, I used a program change the locale. As it turned out, the application SmartWatch 2 not friends with such programs, except one - Locale & Language. After its installation and removal of all other things working at once.

If you are afraid that Bluetooth 3.0 will discharge the battery of your phone, then do not worry: there is simply no difference (I have not changed consumption). Judge: hours battery capacity of about 50-100 mAh of them is enough for 4 days. The phone battery capacity of 2000 mAh minimum, so if you take something that is equal to the power consumption, the phone battery discharge communication through at least 80 days. I think that Sony are not stupid, and not just put BT v.4 means something and there was no need.

Communication hold just fine, caught through the walls. No surprises, everything is fine, no spontaneous dumps. Here are 5 of 5.

Hours h4> Honest 4 days as stated. MN2 honestly worked for 1-2 days, with the stated 4, and here is no deceit. And while the work is quite stable, and personally, I almost did not depend on how often you receive notification. Also repaired the charge indicator now shows no weather, and charge up to a percent. Speaking of charge - again microUSB, covered with a plug that is also very good - a proprietary cable is no longer needed.

After receiving notice of the charge is too low (15 and 10%), you have at least half a day, so you should not worry too much.

Some somehow expect a miracle and working time under a month. Well, the miracle will not be until invent screen with built-in solar battery or something like that. Probably work the same principle as with the self-winding mechanical watch - handwheel generating energy from the movements of the hand. Although, for me personally, to charge the clock times in 4 days - it's the same thing that charge them once a month. The main thing is that the more days they live is guaranteed, and the rest is not really important.

Upd 2014: Autonomy, after upgrading, increased significantly, with occasional use - this week (7 days), with the active I received an average of 4 days. I think it's a great success, and now have to really watch very rarely charged.

Conclusion h4> Should I buy? - Definitely yes. No significant deficiencies in the unit no.

You must clearly understand why you this accessory. This accessory - is the assistant to the phone, a kind of additional wireless small screen. It allows you not to miss a single event, while having the opportunity to hold the phone always in silent mode.

If you have a lot of make and receive calls using the headset, these watches are indispensable: number, name, and photo caller ID, the ability to reject a call. With SW2 can even dial in several ways (direct input, recent, search by the first letter and favorite contacts). Obviously useless function type handsfree via the clock as a Galaxy Gear, not here - it's not a toy, but a useful tool.

Can, of course, I'm not very careful with them, but I have yet appeared noticeable scratches on the glass. About rim too and say nothing - it is the same as on the black 5m iPhones, he got injured early in the very beginning of operation.

I really hope that the next version of sony finally understand that it is necessary to produce male and female version, plus probably some titanium with sapphire crystal and other exclusive materials that do not wear out over the years. The issue price will not stand already, I would have bought this. In general, it is necessary to look at the market for regular hours and copying his ideas.

Watch love, do not have this unpleasant feeling that "not bad, but it would be better waiting for the next version." Perform its function, work zhelezobetonno stably, battery life is more than sufficient.

My justification expectations - 146%.

Goodbye - photo next to the great-grandfather - SonyEricsson LiveView:

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/228323/

Tags

See also

New and interesting