In Toronto, the trams are very popular. Despite the relatively not a quick way to get around, trams perform their job well - let you get in and out of the city center in a moderate time. As part of the Toronto Open Day we rushed to visit one of the tram depot - TTC Roncesvalles Carhouse.
1. Ronsesveylskoe Depot is the oldest (of the two existing) in Toronto - it operates since 1895. Now it serves most of the (8) Toronto tram routes, which the city only 11 - №501-506 and 508-512 (507, as I understand it, was absorbed by the extended 501-m). Therefore, do not truthfully, this depot can be called one of the most important technical units ontariyskoy transport system of the capital.
2. Despite the fact that the main attraction for the audience who came, including many children, was a trip on the tram through the wash (see below), I was waiting for the most hits in the repair shop where the mechanics of the clock involved putting in order all the rolling stock depot. 8 ways to repair shop for common work, test and diagnostics, sinks, and a separate studio for long-term and serious repairs.
3. It was there discovered the first surprise - a miniature tram road built depot employees. It all started with a few models of cars almost 20 years ago. Then came the way, houses, cars, people, trees, station, depot. Unfortunately, to find at least kaku any information about the history of this small park in my Network failed, and ask employees depot somehow failed.
5. Despite the fact that the bar for the current collectors periodically jumped from a contact network, and the staff of the station had to restore the movement of this tiny town seemed to have lived a full life.
6. And, apparently, this full life is somewhere in the 60s of the last century.
7. In the city, in addition to ordinary citizens, there is a very wealthy comrades riding on gigs.
9. In the windows of trams can be distinguished passengers traveling on business. Well, the name of the route make it plain that we are all the same in Toronto.
11. Looking up from a tiny life, does not freeze for a moment, I managed to run gaze directly at the repair shop and located in the repair of trams - Canadian Light Rail Vehicle (CLRV). This type of wagon was designed specifically for the urban transport system of Toronto. The first six cars have been collected in Switzerland, the remaining 190 - in the Canada. At the moment, released from 1977 to 1981, 196 trains on track staying 195. Another 52 car elongated structures were commissioned in the late '80s.
12. Electronic filling these cute trams no way resembles that in the 21st century. But do not worry about this. Already this year, the residents of Toronto should elicit a prototype model of the new city tram, which run into use should be by 2013. 55,545,572
13. Encouraged by the main administrative building and depot. Inside was quite crowded, noisy, fun.
14. Information about the current routes and shifts taken out directly on the wall, the usual drawing board.
15. The most important control room, and traffic control told us that we can not take pictures. Reported by exactly a second later than this picture was taken from the hip. Despite homeliness little room, here it is the main nerve center of the depot and controls. About 10 managers intently watching the monitor, which displays in real time all the staff at all accountable routes. Each car is equipped with a GPS-sensor, allowing to monitor the whereabouts of the composition at any given time. Trams going on schedule, marked with a green marker, but as soon as the tram behind schedule by 3 minutes or more, the marker changes to red, alluding to the dispatcher on the need for action.
16. Toronto tram network is built using the so-called short-turns - terminal block or rings, allowing, if necessary, removed from the route, expand the desired composition, without waiting for the attainment of the end station. It is the Manager is responsible for the decision taking and follow the schedule of individual compounds to eliminate the delays encountered. Unloaded trams using short Katov can be redirected to support demanding routes.
17. Initially (at the end of the 19th century!) Designed by 75 wagons depot was rebuilt in 1923, after which, in principle, has not changed. With such a long history, it is no wonder that the park has several archives, historically valuable cars. The amazing thing is that they were operating. Here, for example, the tram series PPC (Presidents' Conference Committee) was produced in the US since the 30s of the 20th century to the 50th was the most popular and the most popular form of public transport rail worldwide.
18. The car with a round jubilee issue 4500 oversees the summer on Sundays at 509-th route, and if less than 60 years since its solemn descent on track.
19. Another antiques on wheels - is Peter Witt streetcar №2766, released back in 1922.
20. A special feature of this type of cars has proposed his revolutionary idea designer fare. The entrance is through the front door only, exit - only the center. At this door stood guard at the exit. Incoming passengers are not delayed and not crowded at the entrance, speeding load tram. It was possible to pass the conductor, to pay travel and go to the tail of the car, where to go out freely, if necessary. Or go to the front, pay the fare at the exit, again moving to the central door.
21. With the advent of fashionable, stylish and above these more modern PPC-wagons Witt streetcars began to slowly disappear. But the design idea after all prolong their lives. Even with a full fleet of modern cars in the 40's and 50's urban transportation system continued to let Witt streetcars on the busiest routes at peak times. Just because new cars run on a pay-entered (the current and now the entrance just in front of the door, the payment immediately upon entering) and do not always cope with the passenger flow management ... Deck tram Witt smells history. Vending machines with soft drinks, alas, kill the odor.
22. Go back to the main attraction of the tram depot - the sink. Wagons are treated with water and detergent every day. Depending on the weather conditions and the degree of contamination of the trams are also regularly exposed to the outside of a thorough cleaning mops and rags. Manually.
24. Since Depot already overgrown residential buildings, some of which come close to the station almost came, streetcar trying to be very polite in their daily work.
25. Ronseysvelskom tram park has more than 100 employees. Service work around the clock all year round. Every night the fence depot stay overnight 149 cars serving 8 of 11 existing tram routes Toronto.