All you need to know about food in Ethiopia (13 photos)

The author writes, _nikolya_
Ethiopia is a very interesting country. Ancestor of humanity, people who are still so close to the earth as it was centuries ago. Ethiopian cuisine can not be called diverse, because it is based on just one dish but with large variations.

Injera - our mother!

Watt and injera - along fun. If we are talking about Ethiopian food, another combination we simply can not imagine.
What inzhera? Imagine a big pancake (about 40 cm. In diameter) gray sour taste made from local cereal "TEP". Presented? Good. This pancake is served on a special very beautiful tray - mesobe covered diaper just under the size of injera, and near several injera, but rolled up in rolls. Remember, as in Japanese restaurants give wipes moisten your hands before eating, and so rolled inzhera looks exactly like the napkins, just gray. It is said that American tourists are sometimes really confused, taking her napkin.

unusual appearance, is not it?

Injera is the foundation, but on top of it laid Watt.
Watt is a mix of acute aromatic sauce Berber with pieces of meat or vegetables. To begin the cook in the kitchen puts out a large number of chopped red onion. Once the onions softened, add nitter gibeh - Traditional Ethiopian melted butter, flavored with spices such as coriander, cumin, turmeric, cardamom and cinnamon. After adding Berber - a mixture of aromatic spices (chili pepper, ginger, cloves, coriander) is obtained Kay watts that can already be there as a ready meal, but the best course to add something else. There are all sorts of options watts. So you can add slices of beef - whitefish watt chicken - doro watt, fish - ACCA watts, lamb or goat - running watts, legumes such as peas - kick watts or chichevitsa - Misir watts. You can also add and vegetables: potatoes - Dinić watts, carrots - Costa watts.
Before you start eating the girl bring a jug of water to wash your hands after eating injera hands, which means that they must be clean!

my - my chimney sweep!

So imagine you are sitting in a comfortable chair, and before you a tray of injera, which around in small groups lined all kinds of watt, all sharp, flavorful! In order to soften the sharp taste injera on caring hostess necessarily lay hill unleavened cheese. Injera can eat only with his hands. Fingers you tear off a small piece of the pancake, it captures a piece of vending watts and send in your mouth. Juicy, spicy and delicious! When it becomes too "hot" in your mouth, be sure to help themselves cottage cheese.

inzhera most common in suburban cafes

Also, in addition to the injera with watt must try tybs - specially cut pieces of meat, fried with green peppers. Oh, how badly!
So badly that it is good to wash down with something. And what to wash down the food in Ethiopia unless Valley - Traditional mead. In cafes and restaurants you can always order a fragrant Valley, yellow, he served in an interesting dish, similar to the apothecary beaker. The aroma and taste like at first may seem unusual, but the important thing to master the first beaker

Oh, this tej!

Most tourist cafes and restaurants dinner will be accompanied by interesting performance with live music and dancing. It is not only spectacular but also informative. Musicians and dancers follow each other, presenting dances and musical instruments of various parts of the country. I was particularly impressed with the dance, when the dancer begins to spin his head around faster and faster, so that the hair form some crazy circle!

folk dances

Also many restaurants, guests can take part in a traditional dance between a man and a woman. Dancer approach to guests (who in this case has to stand up), and begins to move his shoulders, a man should support these movements, starting in turn move the body shoulder. From the looks as if they are in dialogue shoulders. Very interesting, too, so I danced.

and here I am actively moving his shoulders in traditional dance - a dialogue between a man and a woman (_nikolya_ /)

A coffee ceremony completes the meal. A coffee in Ethiopia is very, very good, no wonder this ancient African country apart from the fact that is the parent of all mankind, and also the birthplace of coffee. Coffee began to be grown in the province of Kaffa, which gave the name as a popular drink. The restaurant coffee a special place. The girl is preparing on coals flavored drink and then pours it into small cups that take the waitress. Coffee is very strong, black, fragrant. In prikusku to it necessarily serves fresh popcorn, as well as in a special bowl set fire to pieces of incense for fragrance!

Easy coffee ceremony far from the capital of Ethiopia

Rustic happiness

Yes, inzhera with Taffy is certainly very healthy and tasty, but do not forget that Ethiopia is a very poor country, and the meat they can only afford a holiday. In everyday life, Ethiopians forced vegetarians. For example, it is important for them to have a false banana trees. Because it makes the product remotely resembling bread. The process of preparing his unique. To start a woman using a piece of wood pulp is separated from the fibers. Get a lot of buried in the ground is isolated from the air penetration of up to six months! The process of fermentation is a product whitish in appearance resembles cottage cheese and the smell of a stinky - smelly cheese. This is unprepared product then rolled the dough into a flat cake and baked in the fire.

good to stretch and cut!

roll out the cake

The resulting bread called Kocho very unusual taste.

and bake! Ready-made cake! And all this from the pulp of palm leaf!

Also from palm leaves are preparing a hot drink called Bull, which has healing powers - that is necessary for those who are tired or sick! And the Ethiopians enjoy eating KITF, consisting of raw beef marinated in mitmite - very spicy red pepper sauce.
Do you think that the Ethiopians like to eat for breakfast? That's right, the same injera, but not in the form of a pancake. The remains of yesterday's injera finely crumbled, mixed with spices and breakfast is ready! It calls this unpretentious dish fitfit or firfir. Another popular dish for breakfast is dulet - aromatic blend of rumen tripe, beef and injera with red pepper. For dessert, you can indulge yourself Fatir - pancakes with honey. And all this for breakfast! It is not surprising, because the majority of Ethiopians are employed in agriculture, and that means they need a lot of strength. Incidentally, in the south of Ethiopia's grain is not accepted to brew coffee, but instead prepare a decoction of coffee husks
In the same pulp false banana tree (now truly a nurse) prepare unusual drink fermentation - Talley. Unaccustomed to the local beer may seem unpleasant taste and smell, but Ethiopian gladly miss mug - another after work.
And if you want something stronger, there Ethiopians indulge katikalom and Araki, a very - very strong drinks made from sugar cane, and all of the same false banana tree.
I tried a little ... oh! Better vodka.

in the village cafe

If you are suddenly thrown into the Ethiopian hinterland, this is my advice will help you to easily find places catering. If you see that on the front door or gate hanging plate, safely go back to feed you there! Of course the food is very, very simple, no frills, and be prepared for the increased attention on the part of all those who will eat with you! White people in the local cafe is a great rarity. Very often, the end of the market day Ethiopians celebrate friendly revelry at the bar, my advice to you - refrain at this time from visiting such places, because all of this can not end well.

Oh, those customs!

The first time we went with my Ethiopian friends in a restaurant in the Ethiopian capital Addis - Ababa, I was very, very surprised when in the middle of dinner, one of them took a piece of injera, TAFA scored it a little more, and then says he wants to feed me . Do nothing, he opened his mouth and waited for my friend did not put this piece into his mouth with his fingers.
Honestly, it is very unusual feeling. Everything - the same for us the process is quite intimate meal, and we rarely allow ourselves to feed.
Later I was told that this custom is called "GURSH", according to which the host or hostess obliged to feed the guests the best piece of injera, thus expressing affection for himself.
If you go make a nice hostess, after injera lick your fingers - so you show you how delicious it was.

in a tourist restaurant - looking presentation dinner

In the south, the practice of polygamy. If a man is rich enough he may have three wives, and even more! The head of a private family dishes from which to eat and drink only he can. The first wife is always first to bring first dish my husband, and then to offer visitors.
Ethiopia ancient Orthodox country (adopted Christianity in the fourth century BC. E.). Most of the residents identify themselves as priverzhenikam the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, which could not but affect their eating culture. Thus, they avoid eating pork, as well as abstaining from meat and dairy products on Wednesdays and Fridays.
If suddenly these days you are not in the capital, you will be quite difficult to enjoy meat, and if suddenly you're lucky, get ready for oblique views.

via

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting