IP cameras. Merge yourself.

Webcams Foscam default broadcast network, every third owner of this unaware

Often in today's world, the pursuit of simplicity leads to sad consequences. For example, in the sphere of high technologies - simplicity and convenience almost always jeopardizes the privacy and confidentiality of the user. It could be WiFi-routers, reaching no default password for the wireless network, and postal services, allowing the user does not bother to set a password complexity. From these manifestations of simplicity and convenience often suffer not only the private data of private persons, but also large companies that go on about their top, of Middle and sometimes low-managers who 123 - comfortable and standard policy paroleobrazovaniya Microsoft - too hard. Today I want to tell you about how easy and convenient transform the lives of thousands (or even tens of thousands) of people in the reality show.

Last fall happened in my family, and adding, among other compulsory acquisitions raised the question of observing the sleeping child while I am at work, and the wife - in the other room. As a true IT-person to the bone on a proposal to buy the couple a baby monitor all-in-one I just snorted and went to the Internet to look for more versatile device. The result was the purchase of WiFi-swivel camera with feedback from the Chinese manufacturer Foscam, model FI9821w.

Stuck proved to be very useful, convenient and easy to use, less mediocre image quality. And now for the unpleasant to the layman, who likes things that work "out of the box."

People put the doors to keep them closed
© my uncle.

The manufacturer has designed the software of the camera so that the owner of any level of literacy was able to quickly install and enable them to work. This approach of course there is a downside - the majority of the inhabitants of the time the pictures all the activities for setting up stop. But in vain.

Default security WEB-cameras Foscam all very, very bad:

-Nastroeny Two accounts: Admin, Operator. Without passwords.
Cam when connected to the network immediately and automatically registered on the unique dynDNS, written at the bottom of the camera. Link to control / display is as follows: ab1234.myfoscam.org:88, where ab - arbitrary characters of the Latin alphabet, in 1234 - the number in the range of 0000-9999.

One eye

For the sake of curiosity, I conducted an experiment: without hesitation fed brutteru hydra designed to excel list of 10,000 possible hosts on myfoscam.org, starting from dyndns-address my camera. The result was a list of several hundred respondents on 88 port of the camera.
Further studies have shown - 1/3 answered camera lets a username admin, 2/3 from the left - under the login operator.
A quick search on the Internet showed that variants of letter prefix domains camera set, which indicates the huge spread of the camera, as I thought, know-Neum producer. Taking at random a couple of bands I only confirmed previous findings - almost half of the cameras are recorded after dyndns allow themselves to view the credentials by default. And even in cases where the owner will think to change the account password admin - is an account operator, which everybody forgets about. Given the fact that the camera is controlled, and also transmits sound - a useful thing in everyday life can be a big problem for the privacy of those who confined settings of turning on the camera in the network.

Do not get me wrong

This article was not written to delight voyeuristic fantasies, and for the information of those who are going to purchase or already owns the cameras from this manufacturer. It is not anti-advertising - the products quite on the level of money that asked for it, but like everything else in our world, it requires careful handling and proper approach.
Actual Camera Foscam 8XXX and 9XXX series

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting