My mother-in-law accidentally heard me asking my husband to help her with her things, she burst into tears and immediately went home.

No matter what you say, praise is good for everyone. Only some of them react quite sour, as if they did not sound at all. Others, on the contrary, show a violent reaction. But, if you want to please the interlocutor, remember: you can and should praise him. This is a common manifestation of social attentiveness. The main thing is that praise does not turn into flattery. Nobody likes flatterers.

Family members, especially on the female line, often like to praise those who are younger. “Oh, who painted such a beautiful picture?” Who has learned to tie shoes on their own? Grandmothers love grandchildren and often show them their favor. But it works the other way. Feel free to show your positive feelings to your elders. Praise them more often because it makes their hearts a little younger.

My husband is the only son in the family. I knew that before I got married, and frankly, I was pretty worried about it. Of course, I kept my emotions to myself, why take them out? But judge for yourself. I have two children from my first marriage. He has his own daughter. What are the chances that my mother-in-law will let me in?

Absolutely. As it turns out, my husband's mother is just a golden man. An exceptionally intelligent woman, like me, is a widow. At the first meeting she was very worried, it was clear. And it was confusing, because I thought I was being looked at like I was under a microscope. But everything ended well: we had a great conversation, and it started our good, strong relationship with my husband.

After the wedding, Irina Andreevna gathered me and Alik and told us the wonderful news: since we are a young family, despite the fact that we already have our own children, she wholeheartedly wants to help us. The city became too loud and dusty for her, and so she decided to move to her mother’s village. She'll help her, and we'll help her.

That evening my mother-in-law called me aside to talk face to face. She praised my dress, said she was glad her son and I were together now. And that she really wanted me to call her mom. After all, we are now relatives, why all these unnecessary definitions, such as “mother-in-law”, “daughter-in-law”. I’d rather call her my mother and she calls me my daughter.

But the thing is, just a few years ago, my mother left us and went to another world. It was a personal drama for me, because our bond with her was very strong. And such a blow was too severe a test. I cried all my tears, made the best fence, a monument. I go to her often. And yet, deep down, I still suffer and I can’t get used to my loss.

Therefore, the proposal of Irina Andreevna seemed to me impossible. I can't call anyone else that. Even a very good one. Even my own. I just smiled and changed the subject. But I felt bad at heart. But the continuation of the evening was generally normal, and I personally had nothing to complain about.

We moved into my mother-in-law's apartment. Three big bright rooms. Nice repair. Downtown. You could only dream of it. Our whole family is comfortable. Thanks to Irina Andreevna. I talked to my husband and explained my situation to him. He immediately understood me and said that he would talk to his mother and tell her everything. I have closed this issue to myself for many years.

With my mother-in-law, we often saw each other at family holidays, in cafes or on walks. Of course, it was not every day, because she had no small way to the city. My husband and I used to visit her sometimes. Like I said, she's a great woman with a great character. She somehow managed to give me advice and guidance so much that I did not feel that I was being taught. How to listen to wise thoughts from your best friend I often heard words of praise from her.

The problem arose recently, on the anniversary of my husband’s wedding. Irina Andreevna heard me in the corridor telling Alik to come down and help his mother with her things. She was already there by now. And so she took my words to heart, that it's not just to "mother", namely to "your mother" that burst into tears, called a taxi and drove back to her.

To my husband’s questions about what it was, I answered as it is. I have long expressed my opinion on this. And I can't change it. And he saw perfectly well that we communicated. Is there any other way of saying things that might offend you? Or even more so to tear us apart?

In response, my husband behaved in an even more surprising way: he began to criticize me in front of the children in high tones. He said that because of my principles, I offended his mother. That she gave away the last thing she had, all for us and our children. And I couldn't give in to her. He got so excited that he stopped screaming only when he left the apartment, almost breaking the front door.

At the moment, we are on the verge of divorce. I have not seen my mother-in-law since then, and my husband, although he calmed down, behaved like a man with a real hurricane raging inside. If nothing is done, I and my child will be on the street, because the apartment is not acquired in marriage, it is fully registered on Irina Andreevna. I don't know what to do, I can't go on principle with conscience. But time is running out and things are only getting hotter.

Tags

See also

New and interesting