Lahoch pancakes that are cleverly fried in a cold pan

Today I want to invite you to make unusual pancakes. In Somali cuisine, this dish is called Lahoh. And cook it not just how, but on a special metal round stove called taav. We can handle the usual frying pan. Ideally, you will need 2 hot surfaces. Why it is necessary and how to prepare this overseas treat, I tell further in the article.

The recipe for this dish is ridiculously simple. Water, flour, sugar, salt and yeast - such a set of ingredients can hardly surprise anyone. However, the very method of making pancakes with holes is different from what we know. It is thanks to him that "Lahoch" turns out to be so bubbly and unusual in appearance.

I warn you right away: in this recipe we will use dry yeast. The water in the recipe can be replaced with kefir. To speed up the frying process, you will need 2 pans. Otherwise, there should be no complications. Let's get started!

The ingredients
  • 0.5 kg wheat flour
  • 3.5 tables of water
  • 1 tbsp dry yeast
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt

Pancakes with holes in the water
  1. Mix in a deep bowl all the dry ingredients. It is better to sift the flour beforehand. Then pour slightly warm water into the dough and beat the mass with a mixer to uniformity.

2. Put the finished dough in a warm place for 1 hour. During this time, the yeast is activated, and many bubbles will appear on the test.
  3. For frying, prepare 2 small pans. Put one on a large fire and immediately pour 1-1.5 pancake ladle on the surface. You do not need to heat the pan, butter for frying is also not needed. Therefore, I would advise to use a frying pan with non-stick coating just in case.

4. Roast the pancake on only one side until a large number of bubbles appear on its surface. When the pancake dries a little more, put it on a plate and cover it with a clean waffle towel.
  5. Then put a second cold pan on the fire and fire the next pancake. Alternate pans among themselves so that before each new pancake, the hot surface has time to cool down. Done!

To prepare pancakes with holes in the water, you can use one pan. Only choose one that can be lowered after baking a pancake in cold water to cool. Remember that not every material can withstand a sharp change in temperature. And to be more precise, only cast-iron pans tolerate it normally.

If you don't have a cast-iron pan, then you'll have to wait before every new baking pan until it cools. Otherwise, pancakes "Lakhoh" you simply will not succeed. So I advise you to start a second pan: it will definitely be useful in the house!

Instagram / @daracookstheworld Somali pancakes with holes in the water is important to fry in a cold pan. Since Lahoch does not have to be thin, it needs to be given time to dry. If you pour dough on a hot pan and put on a large fire, then the bottom of the pancake will burn. And if you do not turn on a large fire, then there will be no bubbles on the Lahoha. As a result, you will get a regular tight pancake. And what we're looking for is a bubble texture!

By the way, for the same reason, the pancake does not need to be roasted on both sides. This is the trick of an unusual dish. In pancake "Lahoch" you can wrap both salty and sweet filling. Or just eat pancakes with jam, jam, honey or other sauce to taste.

Tell me, did you ever make pancakes with holes in the water? Have you ever heard of a dish like Lahoch? I'll see you in the comments!

Tags

See also

New and interesting