An old friend said that refugee for me is only a way to go abroad, I decided to speak out.

After the Russian army invaded Ukraine, millions of Ukrainians were forced to flee their homes. On March 20, the UN stated that more than 10 million people in Ukraine were forced to change their place of residence. More than three and a half million people went abroad. That number later increased. Not surprisingly, Ukrainian refugees today There are probably in every European country.

Today's edition. "Site" She shared the story of a woman who had to leave her home. Her thoughts will be interesting to many. Even those who have not changed their place of residence and do not intend to do so.

The other day I began to correspond with an old friend whom I had not seen for many years. She is a woman of age, but the messenger could master. When she heard that I had left for the Netherlands, she made a curious statement. “Wow, when would you have been there?” And so at least you will see the world, writes Ksenia.

“I objected that I had gone abroad before. I could have traveled to Europe in peacetime if there was a reason. But then I started to think that we refugees are seen by many in the same way as my old friend. Refugee is a way to see another country, nothing more. What nonsense!

“I can see how this belief will take root in the mind and sprout. When, after our victory and the end of the war, we will divide people into those who could stay and those who left. I hope that will not happen.”

“It’s like a person sent to Germany during World War II saying he’s seen the world.” Yes, there is a completely different scale. We are not tourists, nor are we immigrants. We are people who have fled war.”

Why we're leaving: I've heard a lot of stories from fellow sisters. Everyone didn't want to leave. Many have husbands, adult sons, parents...

My husband insisted that I leave with my child. Said it would make him feel better, that he would have untied hands. Untied for work and for struggle.” Every story is different, but there is something the same in everyone. Everyone experiences their own personal tragedy.”

“Let those who remain be assured that we did not leave for nothing. This decision was not easy for anyone. Although they already know it, understand it, feel it. Let us be physically safe here. There are no rockets or bombs in our homes today. But we are in constant alarm.”

“We cannot safely admire the beauty of foreign lands while our loved ones, neighbours and acquaintances are in danger. We do not manage to live normally while our compatriots from well-known cities are forced to starve in basements under endless shelling.”

“Every day begins and ends with reading the news. And most of all, we do not want to travel the world as a refugee, but to return home. To my home! – emotionally declares the woman.

Despite the ongoing war and frequent rocket attacks, Ukrainians are slowly returning home. According to the latest data, 1.6 million people have already returned to Ukraine since the beginning of the war. People return to their families despite the danger. And they are understandable.

Tags

See also

New and interesting