What conquered the Soviet audience mischievous film about musicians who changed into ladies’ outfits

Old American comedies are considered a bit flat. But there are also those that we enjoy reviewing over and over again. Topping the list is Billy Wilder’s timeless masterpiece Some Like It Hot.

The American Film Institute recognized the film as the funniest in the history of cinema. The eccentric comedy won an Oscar and three Golden Globe Awards. And the witty phrases of her characters forever entered our lexicon.

The story of hapless musicians forced to change into ladies' outfits, was released in 1959. Few people know that the legendary Frank Sinatra was originally invited to the role of the saxophonist Joe and Josephine!

The golden voice of the XX century ignored the offer, which he regretted more than once later. It is interesting that at first Marilyn Monroe refused the role of Sugar, as frivolous. The situation was saved by the husband of the actress writer-playwright Arthur Miller, who immediately liked the script.

Inventing replicas of the characters, the writers actively used the play of words. Irony, metaphors and allegory allowed them to touch on forbidden topics at the time. And the sparkling dialogue from the film remains extremely relevant even 60 years later.

In the movie “Only Girls in Jazz”
  1. - We gotta get out of town. Let's grow beards.
    - We run, but we shave first.
    - Shave? They want to take our heads off, and you're gonna shave?
    - Shave your legs, dummy.
  2. These gangsters will shoot us, the police will find two female corpses, we will be taken to the women's morgue, and when we are stripped naked, I will die of shame!

GettyImages
  3. - How do they manage to walk on these things and not fall?
    - They have their center of gravity elsewhere.
    - And it blows down. They probably get cold all the time.
    - Stop trampling, we'll be late.
  4. Look at the way it moves! Like jelly on springs, back and forth, back and forth. There must be a motor in there or something.
  5. - Never, Joe, can we match them?
    - What are you afraid of, you won't be forced to have a baby!
  6. - How do you like those dolls?
    - Like he fell into a bath of cream. As a child, I dreamed of being locked up in a candy store for the night and having sweets around. Jelly candy, eclairs and Boston cream pie, cherry cakes...
    - Listen to me, no cream or sweets. We're on a diet.

GettyImages
  7. - Why would a man marry a man?
    - For security reasons.
  8. - You went to the conservatory, right?
    - Yeah, one year.
    - You said three?
    - We were released early for good behavior.
  9. - Hey, conservators, where have you worked before? In dance classes?
    - No, at the funeral.
    - Please rise from the dead. On pace, girls, on pace.

10. I have a terrible past. Breakthrough men, including one saxophonist!!!
  11. Have you ever kissed an American woman?
  12. I don't care if he's rich, as long as he has a yacht, his own railroad and toothpaste under his name.
  13. - Does your wife whip cocktails?
    - No, my valet.
    - Does your wife signal on the boat?
    - No, butler. I'm not married, if you're interested.

14. - I was married seven or eight times.
    - You're not sure?
    - My mom keeps the score.
  15. - He pinched me. See how women feel? I'm not even pretty.
    - You're wearing a skirt. She's like a red rag to a bull.
    - I'm tired of being a rag. I want to be a bull again.
  16. - Look, I can't marry you!
    - Why?
    - Well, first of all, I'm not blonde!
    - It's okay.
    - I smoke! All the time!
    - It's not a problem.
    - I'll never have children.
    - Nothing, adopt.
    - Jesus, I'm a man!
    - Everyone has their flaws.

GettyImages

“Only Girls in Jazz” is an inexhaustible reserve of good mood, smiles and laughter. We hope that our article will convince someone to watch it again, and someone will give an incomparable pleasure to do it for the first time.

Photo preview and article .

Tags

See also

New and interesting