Really great movies that can completely change your worldview

I consider myself a person quite sophisticated in consuming content, but too lazy to somehow organize my leisure time. Therefore, I often refer to different ratings and lists. Probably each of us once, but came across a list of “100 best books in the world” or “100 best films”. To be honest, many of the works in such lists are quite controversial. And some of them simply do not reach the classics, so over time they become simply morally obsolete. Recently, however, I came across life-changing films collected by an unknown amateur in a post.

It's a shame to say that many of them I've only heard of, not knowing what treasure I'm missing. Some people didn’t want to watch the premiere date before I was born. And quite often such paintings are kind of beautiful, but tedious. Others eluded attention, criticized by people I knew. However, the following films really look in one breath. In addition, they are great to change the worldview, and some of them motivate better than any coach.

Life-changing films
  1. The Shawshank Escape, 1994. Included in the top ten best films in the world, and absolutely deserved! If something serious has happened in life, something that has knocked you down, run to watch The Shawshank Escape. Very motivating movie, after which there is a desire to move mountains.

Unsplash

2. "My Dinner with Andre," 1981. A pleasant comedy drama, about which one commentator commented: “You can spend 10 years on books on self-development or look at this picture and draw a lot of useful conclusions.”

3. Dead Poets Society, 1989. This film inspires a deep love of reading, especially poetry. If you can’t bring yourself to sit down for a book, look at Robert Williams. Careful: The film makes for great things!

4. Forrest Gump, 1994. One day, in sadness, I called a friend-filmist and asked for advice on something cheerful, optimistic. Then he told me to watch Forrest Gump. To be honest, I cried for the whole movie 5 times. And the point is not even that he is sad, but rather very compassionate. I would say it's about how people overcome seemingly insurmountable losses. How changeable, unpredictable and amazing our lives are. If you're looking for emotional catharsis, Forrest Gump is the one that can provide it.

Pictures That Change the Perception of Reality, The Matrix, 1999 It's the first part that makes us think we're all living in a simulation. This idea does not leave the viewer for a long time even after watching the film. Unfortunately, the last Matrix, which was shown in the theaters two years ago, is better not to mention, and with the unique original it has almost nothing in common.

Unsplash

"Blade Runner," 1982. A little dilute the thickened colors with fiction, which eventually becomes truly prophetic. You can reflect on the theme of androids and the value of life in the film 1982. And also compare it with the movie “Blade Runner 2049” with the inimitable Ryan Gosling.

"The Truman Show," 1998. Once again, the incomparable Jim Carrey tears all the patterns, this time revealing the subject of the observer effect. Imagine if you found out that your whole life was a TV series, people were actors, around the set, and you were a TV show character watching the whole planet.

"Man from Earth," 2007. Reflections on the theme of travelers from the past or simply people from other historical eras in real time are fully revealed in this picture. Science fiction with an exciting story that you want to believe.

"Stalker," 1979. Like all Tarkovsky films, this one changes the way we think about life. Fans of science fiction will be delighted after watching the picture about the fall of a meteorite and the formation of a special zone full of all sorts of anomalies.

Life-changing films

Unsplash

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring Again, 2003 The film is about two monks who live surrounded by water on all sides, in a floating hut on a lake and watch the change of seasons, which can not be stopped, as it is impossible to stop the cycle of life. Fans of this picture call it a kind of filmographic poetry.

"Gone With Ghosts," 2001. Hardly the only universally recognized animated film and my favorite work Hayao Miyazaki. The story tells the story of a girl who, together with her parents, enters the world of ghosts. To save her parents and get out of a mysterious place, she overcomes many difficulties and makes many supernatural friends. The film strikes the imagination with an abundance of images and the genius of some inventions: soot from the oven, talking door handles, flying witches and enchanted rice cakes.

"Melancholia," 2011. And under this picture, many left ambiguous comments. Someone wrote that they hated her, and someone that loved her. In any case, no one will remain indifferent. A film for those who want to think about the end of the world.

The Space Odyssey, 1968. The effects may be a little outdated, but the deep philosophy of this picture, put on a magnificent musical series, really sits in the brain for more than a day. Very relevant these days: the film tells about the evolution of humanity and its interaction with AI (artificial intelligence).

"The Sunshine," 2019. Dilute the list with a stylish and modern Swedish favorite from the genre of horror, which changes the idea of the life cycle and death itself. And there are no bloodthirsty monsters, rivers of blood or maniacs.

Unsplash

Films with a deep philosophy about family and children "Tree of Life", 2010. The problem of “fathers and children” and the formula of life as a whole are revealed as much as possible. I would like to advise young parents!

Whale, 2022. The story of a lonely man dying of obesity who tries to mend a relationship with his heavy teenage daughter before he dies. The plot touches to the core.

Historic paintings “Life is beautiful”, 1997. This is an Italian tragicomedy, and it tells about the difficult fates of families who passed the concentration camp. To help his son survive, his father devises a game. Allegedly, everything that happens is a very true game. To remain indifferent after this picture is simply impossible.

Dancing with Wolves (1990) A very long picture for its time: 236 minutes, almost a full 4 hours. And be sure, each of these minutes is interesting in its own way. An exciting story about an American soldier who by chance completely immersed himself in the life of the Indians. The events take place during the Civil War.

Schindler's List, 1993. The true story of Mr. Schindler, a member of the Nazi Party who saved thousands of Jews. A life-affirming picture that awakens humanism even in callous man.

Wikimedia Life-Changing Movies: Understanding the Depth of Human Relationships: The Eternal Sunshine of the Pure Mind, 2004 I watched it long before I saw it on the list, but for years I didn’t dare. Because all my friends would tell me how they would roar the whole movie, watching the dramatic story of the relationship. I was not in the mood to cry. As a result, we watched a film with a young man, with whom we broke up after a couple of months. And, to be honest, this work prepared me morally. The picture is deeply sensual, metaphorical and piercing. I’ll add an extra 10 points for Jim Carrey!

Casablanca, 1942. One of the oldest pictures on this list, which still gives a head start to many films that affect the game themes. Romance lies at the center of the narrative, but is not the only attraction of this work.

The Mysterious Case of Benjamin Button, 2008 He got younger - she got old. Neither he nor she could stop time or reverse it. The film helps to look at age in a completely different way. This is definitely about life-changing movies!

"Ghost Story," 2017. More precisely, the story of a deceased man who after death was tied to his house and watched as the life of his beloved continues. Despite the average ratings, the film is really worth it.

Movies that energize

Unsplash "Amelie," 2001. This work has excellent ratings and reviews. It is also called an antidepressant film, after which you no longer want to be sad. There is a touching history of relationships here, but more about how to understand people and yourself. Excellent therapeutic effect!

"Being There," 1979. The film is also widely known as The Presence Effect, and it ranks 26th on the list of best American comedies. Just in order to relax a little and get emotional discharge with meaning.

Watching Other People's Lives, The Decalogue, 1988. For those who don’t want a good movie to end. In truth, it’s a series of 10 movies, featuring 10 stories that can happen to anyone. The film is from a Polish director, and critics find in the plot references to the 10 commandments of God.

Mulholland Drive, 2001. Under the list of films I found, moviegoers write that the tape is quite creepy for its time. No wonder it's a psychological drama, even a detective! You need to carefully follow the clues in the film to put the picture together. It's very imaginative.

"Requiem for a Dream," 2000. An American film whose characters have great ambitions and addiction to drugs. Rethink the attitude to addiction is recommended in this heavy drama by Darren Aronofsky.

"Difficulties of Translation", 2003. I immediately want to make a reservation that this is a languid picture - slow, with the absence of plot twists and surprises. But very vital, as if not looking at the screen, and peeping at other people's everyday life. A film for fans of the open finale.

Magnolia, 1999. The picture shows us the story of one day, woven by nine different stories, united by one finale. Stories switch to each other, so keeping track of the meaning is quite difficult, but it’s worth it. It’s a bit like the Cloud Atlas, isn’t it?

Wikimedia

"Admixture," 2013. Another little-known but very powerful movie about the inner transformation. Only this time it happens violently and not for the better: the story tells the story of a woman who became the victim of a thief who implanted in her body a parasite that now controls her consciousness. How she got rid of control and what conclusions she made, see in an hour and a half fantastic detective.

Heavy and deep paintings "The Seventh Seal", 1957. It is worth watching if only to respect the legendary director Ingmar Bergman. Note that in this slightly anglicized list you will find only a couple of Swedish films. The seventh seal is well worth your attention. And you will have to look carefully, since the picture is full of philosophical and even gloomy images. So it is better to be mentally prepared before watching.

"Persona," 1966. Another heavy Bergman film that belongs to the genre of existential drama. For this picture, too, it is better to prepare morally, it is unlikely to work out lightly.

The Turin Horse, 2011. A little-known and extremely tragic film about a madman Nietzsche, who mourns the dead horse on the street of one of the Italian towns. To feel the full weight of the mental experiences of the insane will not be decided by everyone!

"12 Angry Men," 1957. One of the few such high-profile legal paintings in history, recognized as one of the 5 best paintings in the world. That says something, doesn't it? The plot follows 12 jurors who try a boy from a slum and try to find out if the teenager is to blame for killing his own father.

Taxi Driver, 1976. Thriller, drama and crime film, which tells the story of a lonely veteran, taxiing the city of New York. And all would be well until the taxi driver takes on the role of Batman, deciding to cleanse the city of sinners. It’s useful to watch those who want to know what it will be like to become a superhero in the real world. To the fans of heavy noir is dedicated!

"In the Wild," 2007. Gathered a huge amount of comments on social media. A young traveler who spent most of his travels as a homeless person. We will not reveal the finale, but prepare for the fact that the picture can leave an unsettling feeling that will excite your mind for a while.

Spacesuit and Butterfly, 2007. First, the film is based on real events, and therefore frighteningly true. Second, the story of a man whose body is completely paralyzed raises questions about how his mind continues to live when his body has become a fixed shell. They say that despite its genius, the film did not surpass the book.

Each of these films is unique in some way, but not the only one of its kind, of course. But these are all life-changing movies. Some need to look with a cold head, and some can look with a light heart. After watching, there is plenty of food for thought. You may find the thoughts you’ve been looking for for a long time. What films would you add to this list?

Tags

See also

New and interesting