The rule of three: how to get rid of bad ideas and find good

Faithful three: how to get rid of bad ideas and find good Tony View — the entrepreneur, the coach, tells about a simple life hack that encourages people creative thinking.

"This quick and simple technique occupies an important place in my managerial Toolkit. I call it the "rule of three".

One idea bad idea Very often people say that they have an idea and they want to start to work on it. Sometimes this idea sounds absolutely ridiculous. But if you start looking for flaws in it, it looks bad. And in the end you either can't convince someone that the idea is bad — and then you (in your Department, in your company) still has just one bad idea — either you successfully persuade the man, and the ideas you have no choice at all.

Both options are not very good.Two ideas — a debate Sometimes two people share with each other ideas and looking for flaws in the ideas of each other. Or, what happens more often, if you don't like the idea you propose your alternative. So begins the bulk of the fighting.

For the person who originally suggested the idea, it is extremely difficult to abandon it because he thinks that his idea is not listened and not understood. So it will not make the effort to listen and understand your alternative idea.

And then there is endless dispute, and not a normal, healthy discussion.

Three ideas is brainstorming , My appointment is the following.Instead of looking at the idea of faults, ask the question: how does it compare with other ideas.

I just tell people what they want to hear at least three ideas. 90% of the time they just stare and blinked — and not think of even one alternative idea. When this happens, I start to make REALLY BAD IDEAS. Here are a couple of such bad ideas that almost always work: we can close our company, we can opt out of this feature, we can do nothing.

For some reason a bad idea removed a mental block. I think people block their creative thinking, because trying to edit the new ideas so that they are perfectly consistent with their own perceptions or requirements.It's natural people want to say smart things, not stupid things.

But the ideological censorship is the end of brainstorming. So bad idea to start it up.

That's what happens when you have three ideas Soon you have seven ideas. Bad ideas do not satisfied so that people begin to offer good. Moreover, people often forget their own ideas. Some ideas are combinations of other ideas, and in this case all participants involved.

Soon, everyone understands that they just do not understand the original requirements. The best way to write requirements is to ask the stupid idea that these requirements are obviously not met.

Say that it is necessary to start with properly formulated claims, not with how to fulfill these requirements. But people immediately start thinking about the performance, so brainstorming helps many people truly understand what is important and what is not.

Now, feast your eyes When you spend brainstorming to solve a problem or generate an idea, this process has two sides. First you need to make the outbreak is to generate as many ideas as possible. And then focus and select the way in which you really go.

As long as you used the "rule of three ideas" to generate ideas. You halfway. You still need to choose the best.

But unlike mass brainstorming "rule of three ideas" almost always leads to a great choice in a natural way. It's almost like magic.

When I do this with developers, we usually eventually come to the solution which is to implement faster, cheaper, and easier. So debate is not necessary — simply is the best option.

If I apply this rule when we talk about product design, we also almost always find the design more simple or more obvious in any particular sense.

Here and throughout the reception. Tell people that you work with that adhere to the "rule of three ideas": one idea is a bad idea — two ideas — a debate, three ideas — brainstorm". published

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! © econet

Source: ideanomics.ru/articles/6722

Tags

See also

New and interesting