Five misconceptions about productivity that we inspire

No, you don't work better under pressure. We continually impress upon this and other myths about productivity. In this article, Tracy Foulkes, productivity consultant, shares five of the most popular misconceptions that prevent doing the job effectively. We all want to work better – that's why productivity has become so popular in recent years – but do we progress or standing still?

Tracey Foulkes, CEO of Get Organised South Africa, says that too many of us "busy ostentatious employment." "We are always rushing from meeting to meeting and are drowning in work," she says. "But that doesn't mean that more is done; it's important to wisely prioritize." As a consultant in productivity, Foulkes tells employees about how to cope with their responsibilities more effectively: "I always ask the group how many of them believe that they are valuable to their organization, and hands raised," she says. – "Then I ask you to give up those who do not benefits the company and most of the hands remain in place. At the end I ask, how many of them do their work on time, and then the hands start to drop". "People think they benefit, but if they don't do their work on time, the benefits are not enough. The employee is then only valuable for their organization, when he is doing what he was hired". According to Foulkes, productive work interfere with certain misconceptions.

She shares the five most popular ones that prevent doing the job effectively:

1. I work better under pressure It is a popular misconception, which usually currently inspire people who are accustomed to postpone the case indefinitely. They use it as justification for waiting, but Foulkes says that these people are confusing stress with adrenalin. "If someone is used to do work at the last moment, he often thinks that works better under pressure," she says. – "The truth is, when time is running out and there is no choice, people just have to give yourself a kick, otherwise you will fly". Instead, Foulkes recommends that you break the task into several small parts, posing their own deadlines for each of them, as well as triple the time that you will take to work. "It is normal to leave the last part of the job finally, but you can not leave the whole project," she says.

2. I need to take work home, We were taught that the great business people work hard and diligently, and that means long hours, but Foulkes says that studies show how the relaxation increases the creativity and speed of work. "People who take work home, no time to rest," she says. – "Work lasts from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., but much longer."

The saying "If you want something done, give it to a busy person" is true, because a busy man, places his work in a "temporary container" – a certain amount of time for work, so it is much more productive uses temporary resources," explains Foulkes. "He who brings work home is less productive spending your day," she says. – "Instead of a more efficient use of time at work, people expect to be able to finish the job at home. As a result, everything is done slower." Of course, sometimes have to work overtime, but it cannot do their daily habit.

3. I need to do all the tasks in your list, it is not to do all the tasks in the list; in fact, to do the right thing in a timely manner. Foulkes says that people often leave high-priority tasks for later when they are less bother, and a quick and easy job doing the morning because they like to delete them from your list. But just reverse the order of things makes us more productive.

Foulkes offers to record your tasks on a sheet of paper or leave them in electronic form. "When we keep all that in mind, our brain turns into spaghetti – well, the plot thickens," she says. "When we fill the brain active tasks, we slow down our ability to do something. It's like working on a slow computer." Then decide which of these tasks the most complex or best – they will be paramount. Quick and easy jobs can be postponed.

4. Meetings should be held in the morning In most cases, meetings do not большой2 values, and Foulkes says that such tasks should be left for later. "If you go to a meeting in the morning, you should do something that does not require strong brain activity," she says. Instead, it offers distribute meetings at noon and afternoon. "Our customers, who themselves are building your schedule, to report that thus released weekly one day on productive activities. Plus they don't have to take work home. This distinguishes productive from a long and hard work".

5. Do not repair what is not broken, Many companies adhere to the established order and their logic is simple: don't fix what isn't broken. However, this attitude can lead to arrogance. A good example is the communication process in the team.

Foulkes says that many companies are stuck on the e-mails because they used them for a long time, but some platforms, such as Basecamp or TeamworkPM, make the communication more effective. To determine the scope for improvement, the authorities should ask all team members to tell which part of the process needs to be updated. Then prioritize or to determine the feasibility of change and to seek solutions to problems. "Catching the wave of change, or realizing something new, knowing what you should work, you can work better," says Foulkes. published

Source: blog.mbaconsult.ru/blog/personal/pyat-zabluzhdeniy-o-produktivnosti-kotorye-my-sebe-vnushaem/

Tags

See also

New and interesting