Why do I hate articles about "productivity" and "personal growth"

Send to hell with tips to increase productivity, which only added to the stress in your life, says Jennifer Dziura, founder and GetBullish.com annual Bullish Conference. < Website Jennifer publishes an article in which the author denies widespread fashion for " increase productivity "and other" optimization ", causes a person to worry about nonsense.

I once dated a guy who was trying to teach me how to ride the subway. Sometimes he would grab me by the arm and demanded that instead of just hop on the train coming, we ran with him to the first car - then the destination we were opposite the most convenient exit.

Some of its transport hacks demanded change from train to train three times per trip to get somewhere 10 minutes earlier. I said, "Hey, we've got a date. We do not need to be in a certain place at a fixed time. Maybe, just stay in the train - he still goes exactly where we want - and talk from the heart? »

And that's how I think about the majority of councils, promised to increase my productivity.

It is better to work 5 hours unpleasant than 8 very pleasant?

Some people like the guy who taught me to ride the subway, surely would answer yes. But unless you're working just for the money? If you are also running for the professional respect, a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction from the fact that all is well formed (among other things), then lose it all in order to save a few hours, as something not very nice.

Here is a typical article of the genre: "How do their job 90% more in the morning». A very attractive idea. But look at the first three tips: Plan your day the night before; Tidy your work area before the working day; get up before dawn.

Such recommendations simply put an end to your love life! (After all, you need to go to bed at 9:30 am to get up at 5.30, I also have serious doubts about that plan a day at a time, when I want to drink some wine and relax.)

Yes, there is a certain level of professionalism, which is impossible to achieve if every morning you do not perform the most complex tasks. But I get by and so well, although I like to sink into the rhythm of work for two cappuccino and viewing Instagram. I do not want to live in a military training camp, when my day starts at 5 am with a cold shower and most difficult tasks for today.

In the book, "How to work 4 hours a week," Tim Ferris offers a thought experiment: Imagine that you have had a heart attack and the doctor has allowed you to work only two hours a day - or two hours a week. What are the things you choose to do during this time?

Increased productivity should not be an end in itself. Especially if it does not bring any special benefits. For example, you finish work two hours earlier, but now you hate this job, or after the storm can only be forgotten.

Of course, sometimes efforts are needed, and you have to strain to finish their job super-fast. Some people like to live in a constant rhythm. But if you do not like the kind of rhythm - do not even try.
And if instead of increasing the productivity of you take to increase the elegance of the work? Or enjoy the work? Or you prefer to start the morning with a little foreplay, not the most difficult task? This is normal.

Try to plan your day so that it becomes more enjoyable. What would you add? What would you stop doing? Will it eventually require a little more time? Is it worth it worth it? To the guy in the subway - no. But for most of us - yes.

via ideanomics.ru/?p=4911

Tags

See also

New and interesting