10 The main conclusion that I did for the Study of Productive Year

Introduction interpreter i> In the world written so many books on personal effectiveness and time management that having chosen this translation I certainly asked myself the question: "is there a general something new, for what this article is worth translating, and most importantly to read? " At first I thought I answered this question "yes", but the reality was somewhat more complicated. I> i>

Now I think to say something new person who has read at least 2-3 books on time management and personal effectiveness is virtually impossible. However, there is a huge gulf between the subject, people know , and so, people do
I> 1. I agree with written?
I> 2. If yes, proceed as if I?
I> 3. If not, why and what can I do to start doing the right thing? I> i>

I'm sure, so the article will bring you much more good. I>

I must say that I have great pleasure in walking on the links in this article, especially for those who describe experiments Chris (such as switching between 90-hour and 20-hour work week). So I decided to keep all of these links in the translated article. I>

I would also like to make a point for lovers of the beautiful Russian language. I thought for a long time, whether to change "productivity" to a close ear native "performance" and "personal effectiveness", but in the end decided to leave things as they are - mainly because of the inability to use the same word in different contexts. < / i>

As a last wishes - it's quite a long article, so read productively: Do not switch between tasks in the process of reading; i> Take breaks if you feel fatigue and loss of concentration; write useful thoughts, not relying on memory. i>

Happy reading! I>

10 The main conclusion that I did for the Study of Productive Year
After I graduated from the University of Business majoring in May last year, I got two good job offers, which I declined, because I had a plan. B>

Exactly one year from 1 May 2013 to 1 May 2014 I was going to absorb all the information about productivity, which can reach up to, and write every day about what I learned in the blog A Year of Productivity .

Over the past 12 months I have spent a lot of experiments on productivity on himself, interviewed the most productive people in the world and read tons of popular and academic literature on productivity - all this in order to explore how do I become as productive as possible, and then write about their findings.

After one year, 197 million records and views, I reached the end of his journey - there were only bright completion.

As the end of the year of productivity, I put together a collection of the main things that I have discovered, trying to be as productive as possible. Below you will find the 10 main conclusions that I have done for your project; I also wrote an article about my 100 favorite "hacks" of time, energy and attention with whom I have experimented this year.

Without further ado, Here are my top 10 conclusions that I've done over the past year. B>

10. One of the best ways to be productive - is working on the most high-performance tasks.
In each of the major areas of your life (such as the mind, body, emotions, relationships, career, finances and pleasure) there are only a few tasks that bring maximum benefit. For example, your work is likely to have only a few tasks that generate 80-90% of benefits to whom you're working.

One of the best ways to get more done - task is to identify high in each of the areas of your life and focus on them , so that these cases provide the greatest return for your time, energy and attention.

9. Three of the most effective ways to become more productive - it's boring tips that you've heard a million times already.
I think that every cliche is so powerful truth that people feel the need to repeat it again and again. This is true for tips on productivity.

For a year I've been experimenting with the integration of a large number of life habits and techniques for efficiency, but in the end I can say that the three things that worked best for me - is:

1. Proper nutrition

2. Good sleep

3. Exercise

These tips are repeated so often that they have practically ceased to be perceived. But hear me as a man who had tried in the past decade, hundreds of techniques for managing time, energy and attention: nothing made me more productive than the right food, enough sleep and exercise 1 sup>.

8. casts doubt on all the recommendations on productivity
There engineering productivity that work equally well for everyone - including proper diet, good sleep, exercise and meditation - however, there are exceptions to every rule.

You can reject the conventional wisdom, if there is something that works better for you. B> found that works best when you do not need to wake up at 5:30 in the morning? Then sleep more! Think that he manages more than when doing the most important thing in the morning, and when answering a pack of e-mail? Then answer the e-mails!

In any technique in terms of productivity is usually a grain of truth, as well as in each common knowledge, but there are a bunch of technician productivity, that simply will not work for you. Everyone has their own way of thinking and their priorities, so there are no techniques that would work perfectly 100% of the time for 100% of the people.

Therefore, you can (and should) reject any tips on productivity, if something works for you best.

7. Formation of right habits automatically increase your efficiency
I believe that one of the ways to become more efficient - is to turn new and more effective behaviors into habits that carry them automatically.

Charles Duhigg, author «The Power of Habits» , believes that 40-45% what we do every day - it's automatic habits. Habit forming - not an easy task, sometimes it takes a few months to integrate a new habit into your life, but as soon as the new behavior becomes a habit, you will automatically go to the next level of productivity.

For example, the formation of habits просыпаться at 5:30 every morning took me a few months, but after this happened, it was a краеугольной habit and I began to wake up every morning automatically. I spent a few weeks to go new diet , but after I did it, it became a habit one of the many automatic habits in my life.

If you want to learn how to integrate into your life new habits, read my interview with Charles . Forming new habits takes place is not easy, especially when you have to spend willpower to force yourself to change their behavior, but the more you move, the easier it becomes, and finally you start to work more productively automatically.

6. There are three ingredients productivity that you combine: time, energy and attention
Toward the end of the project, I realized that any of the articles that I wrote falls into one or more of three categories: how to better manage their time , how to better manage their energy and how to better manage their attention
I think all three ingredients are critical if you want to achieve regular productivity. B> Some people have great reserves of energy and concentration, but they do not know how to manage your time, so do not work on those things, and not so much the result achieved. Some people are good at managing their time and they have a lot of energy, but is constantly distracted, and therefore can not achieve their goals. Other perfectly focused and know how to manage their time, but not very well manage their energy, so quickly get tired and can not achieve much.

Productive people know how to manage all three components.

Interlude. 10 experiments productivity, I spent a year studying productivity
1. 35 hours of meditation for 7 days .

2. 70 hours of viewing movies at TED within 7 days .

3. Power Soylent only for a week .

4. Life in complete isolation for 10 days .

5. 90-часовые workweeks .

6. Переключение between formal wear, business casual design and pajamas for 21 days .

7. be complete slobs in the week .

8. Использование smartphone for an hour a day for three months .

9. Пить only water for a month .

10. Дневная siesta at 3:00 .

5. There is no single secret productivity, but there are hundreds of tactics that you can use to achieve this
If the secret of productivity and there, I could not find it for a year studying productivity and experiment with it.

I managed to find - so it's hundreds of tactics that I could use to better manage their time, energy and attention. In fact, I have found so many tactics that wrote список 100 my favorite tactician when I finished this year. B>

Productivity - this is a very global concept, characterized by understanding its individual interrelated parts. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of factors that affect how much you can do in a day, each of which is associated with the ability to manage your time, energy and attention.

There is no one secret to become more productive - we have сотни.

4. Too hard work impairs your productivity
In the course of my project, I found that too much hard work or too much work, completely despised my productivity.

As experiment on productivity I alternated during the month of 90-hour work week and 20-hour. I found that on the 20-hour week I was doing about the same as a 90-hour. The reason is simple: when I limit the amount of time I spend on the task, I forced myself to devote more energy for a smaller period of time, so I was able to make the task faster
What happens when you work too hard, and spending too much energy i> on the task? You burn out. (Interestingly, I have not encountered any side-effects when using high attention, i> but I have found that levels of attention and energy is very often rise and fall synchronously). I think of energy as a fuel that burns people during the day in order to do the job. When you spend more energy to work, and do not allocate time to recover and improve your energy - methods such as exercise , outages a > , or - your fuel will end and you will burn out.

Too long or too hard work completely destroys your productivity because it depletes your two most important resource: your time and your energy.

3. The best way to feel motivated - to know, why i> you want to do something
The most motivated (and productive) people - the ones who keep asking myself why they do what they do.

When you concentrate on how to do more instead of doing what is consonant with your goals and what you believe in, you can force yourself to be productive in the short term but in the long term you will be less satisfied and productive. The key is to determine your values ​​and what motivates you the most, and then take on the tasks and responsibilities that are most consistent with your values.

The fact that you are constantly busy and a lot of produce does not mean that your productivity is high, in fact, I would argue that everything is exactly the opposite. Productivity - it's not how much you make, it's what you achieve the results that matter most to you.

If you always know why you are doing something, you'll be much more motivated and productive.

2. It makes no sense to try to become more productive if you do not have a good relationship with the self.
The reason I'm writing so much about taking care of yourself is that this part of the productivity gives me the hardest. B>

When I started A Year of Productivity, I plunged into this project, because nothing attracts me more than the opportunity to become more productive. At first, everything was simple, and I liked it; I do not have to overwork, so I had no problems with the performance of work.

But the project grew, and thousands of site visits a month turned into hundreds of thousands of visits, and I began to force myself to put more effort to write, to experiment and to do. As a result, I began to receive much less fun.

This fact is difficult to recognize, especially considering how many people would like to be in my position - a favorite theme to explore and achieve this success. But it just shows how important it is to take care of yourself in the process.

The increase in productivity does not come without effort - you need to work on yourself to get better; but it is important not to start berating yourself while trying to bring positive changes in their lives.

You need to constantly keep track of how much you are kind to yourself, trying to force myself to do something. Given that 80% of statistics, , it is critical to treat yourself with kindness so often as possible, especially when you're trying to get better.

Some tactics that have helped me become better this year - it , , .

1. Productivity - it's not how much you make, but how much you achieve
When I started my year of productivity, I created to accurately reflect how productive I was every day. Every day I wrote down the number of words that I wrote, read pages and hours worked, because it seemed to me quite a good indication of how effective I was.

It was hard to go wrong stronger.

If you do not plant manager, measurement of productivity, based on the number of units produced, gives you a very shallow, limited picture of your productivity. For example, if you find a clever and creative approach to solving the problem - for example will be able to rewrite the text so as to convert 500 words 100 - a simple measurement of the number of units produced will show that you are much less i> productive.

Quite simply fall into the trap of measurements and statistics, but where it comes to personal productivity statistics secondary. Productivity - it's not how much you make, but what you achieve.

Of course you need to make highly effective and meaningful tasks; it is also important to know how to manage time, energy and attention in order to have more resources to work with. But in the end, when time, energy and attention to an end, you are left with only what you have achieved, and the changes that you have managed to do in this world, because you have lived a day of his life to good use.

This is productivity.

1 sup> I would also like to include in this list of meditation, but quickly realized it, this practice is not as accessible to most people as the right food, more sleep and exercise.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting