Netatmo - stylish core for smart home

At first glance Netatmo - simply stylish weather station, which measures temperature, humidity, carbon dioxide levels and noise. But in fact, the gadget has great potential, and around it is possible to build a smart home without wires, soldering and programming.

First look at Netatmo h4>

Netatmo consists of two units: one for home and one for the street. Blocks differ only in height and inner filling. Also included is a kit of batteries, strap to connect the station to the computer, a power supply with multiple adapters. And, that is really quite amazing, complete and even has a velcro fastening plug for outdoor unit.

The main module Netatmo can be powered by four AA batteries, or maybe just from the network. Street eats only the battery module.

The first thing we have to follow some simple steps for setting up a weather station:

• Go on and registririruemsya official site
  • Downloading software for your computer. It is needed for the first and only connect to a computer station. In the program, we simply choose a home wi-fi network and enter the password to Netatmo could constantly upload all the data from its sensors in the network.
  • Set a smartphone or tablet app which graphically displays all weather data, the level of CO2 and noise level.

And here we get a home weather station. Thanks to the external unit via the app on your phone, or through a browser, you can always find out the weather on the street and the forecast for the next few days. Not really and cool, right? After all, to get this information we need online, in which weather forecasts and so lacking. But the indoor unit will allow the house to monitor the situation in real time, that will not be too helpful if these changes can not be helped when you are not home.

Therefore, it is time to gradually move on to the fun. Let's start with the sensors and finish your smart home!

A very important feature of home Netatmo unit is that it is able to measure the level of carbon dioxide. The station itself will send notifications that tell about the need to ventilate the room. This feature is especially appreciated my friend freelancer who spends the whole day at home.

Immediately share another interesting observation. I am often on the weekends I can sleep for 10 hours, but still wake up tired. And Logs Netatmo appears that an hour after I went to bed, the carbon dioxide level was three times higher than normal. And in this stifling atmosphere body was very difficult to recover. Now I do not forget to open the window at night.

Measurement of carbon dioxide is particularly important in the nursery. Another feature that makes this radio Netatmo nanny is sensor noise, with which you can afford to send notification when the noise exceeds the set manually or the default threshold. This will let you know when the baby wakes up when the break favorite vase, and when will watch movies on Ren TV, instead of going to bed.

The first approximation smart home h4>
     Now it's time to talk about more serious possibilities Netatmo, it's not just a multifunctional "digital thermometer" for 7.5 thousand rubles. In order to use the functionality of a weather station at your best, you need to remember about actively developing service IFTTT (IPT), which supports this gadget.

For those who do not know IFTTT stands for «if this than that», that is, "if this condition is satisfied, then do so." And thanks to our service station really can partially control the smart home.

The complete list of ready IFTTT scripts can be found here.

Suppose we want to save the data on changes in carbon dioxide content in Google Docs. To do this, find the right script at the above site, click «Use Recipe», log into the Google Docs and Netatmo and give service and gadgets right on interaction. Then point out any excess carbon dioxide levels we want to record.

It is said that there is one significant limitation. Of course, we can make Twitter or FB account and get back Netatmo post summaries of weather at home and on the street, can save statistics to Google docks and interact more with a bunch of applications. But it's still not smart house, and saying to the house, or socially active house =)

The first conclusion. H5>
     Before we dive deeper into the study of smart home, I want to make an interim conclusion. Out of the box Netatmo is a very stylish weather station with a set of important functions. And it was time to compare with other devaysa market.

It should be noted that Netatmo on their background display stands lack, but is distinguished by the connection to the wi-fi network, logging, web client and the availability of applications for iOS and Android. As for the sensors used, it is usually always a standard set: CO2, humidity, temperature, noise. And, of course IFTTT, yes appearance Netatmo put apart.

Even closer to the smart home h4>
     A truly smart house will be only in the presence of the same smart gadgets like Netatmo.

1. Bulbs Phillips Hue h5>

This light bulbs that work in tandem with the transmitter connected to your home wi-fi network. They also work well with IFTTT and can enable, disable, change the color of the light. All this can be done manually through the browser or using an application for iOS and Android, but you can come up with something interesting.

Do Netatmo online IFTTT there are a number of standard "recipes" interaction between the two devices.

2. Belkin WeMo switch h5>

Roughly speaking, this socket, which can be controlled through Wif-fi, and accordingly via IFTTT. The firm Belkin makes humidifiers and blocks with motion sensors, which can also work in tandem with Netatmo. But outlet give us the greatest scope for imagination and functionality.

The second conclusion h5>
     Now using IFTTT and a set of smart gadgets sensors embedded in Netatmo will not only know the temperature, but also to act on it. Houses no longer need to receive messages from your weather station, and you can get all the information to change the tones in the light. That is our smart home becomes more intelligent and less intrusive.

A truly smart house h4>
     Internet of things is still developing, so to build a truly smart home that will fit a particular person, without Arduino, Raspberry Pi or something like that will not do. If you need to work with the breadboard and program code are not afraid, then I will explain below how to make a very simple Arduino important organ of the smart home, managed via IFTTT.

Limit yourself to just clever gadgets that you need to buy more for the introduction of additional functional smart homes can not afford one. Besides, one thing - just turn the fan when the temperature rises at home, and quite another - to adjust the fan operating modes, depending on the temperature. All this can be done by having bazovyi knowledge in electronics.

For this we need the Arduino + Ethernet shield to control a functional board could be through the Internet. And in order to able to manage Netatmo Arduinkoy via IFTTT, we need service Lithouse .

The website service has instructions on how to teach and communicate Arduino IFTTT. When this step is left behind, then we open up limitless possibilities. Using information from Netatmo, you can control any appliances, its modes of operation, and any device that can be controlled by Arduino or other similar fees.

The third conclusion h5>
     Thus we are able to implement the control board, which through IFTTT will collect data from all sensors home, and again through IFTTT no clutter can control home appliances. This concept becomes Netatmo stylish set of basic sensors (temperature, humidity, noise, carbon dioxide) that can control a number of devices directly, but the functionality that will complement Arduino board and connects new devices.

Deficiencies Netatmo h5>
    1. Not the greatest number of gadgets that support IFTTT (although with each month of their more)
    2. Difficulty settings for all scenarios. That is, have a good think about everything and spend a few hours or days in which to customize all of the scripts and debug them.
    3. I have just bought a home otlelno module. This would reduce the purchase price, which is almost lost in the functionality. After external module shows the weather on the street, I can learn and through the Internet. I know much more important data on your home with the ability to influence them.
      Strengths h5>
      1. Stylish design
      2. Ability to keep logs of all the measured parameters
      3. Ability to send notifications to a user-friendly manner < Have a web interface and applications for iOS and Android
      4. Ability to work with IFTTT
      5. Small footprint
      6. Ease of mounting external module ol >

This last conclusion h4>

In this review, I tried to describe all possible uses Netatmo, to show that this is not just a weather station, but something more and that is why it is worthy of attention. Stylish design, the ability to log, web interface, the application for a tablet or smartphone, IFTTT - this is all that distinguishes it from all competitors.

Netatmo can tell when to ventilate the room, it can be a smart baby monitor in the nursery, and maybe just tell you about what is happening with the weather at home and abroad in your absence.

If there are other smart gadgets Netatmo can control home lighting, you do not send notifications obtrusive light and direct control of appliances for the home weather.

Personally, I think this is a great gadget for those who care about the comfort of home and the appearance of the surrounding things. Netatmo proudly decorate the place in the corner of my desk.

PS Buy smart weather station Netatmo can here , in the already known habrasoobschestvu shop Madrobots , who sent me this gadget review.

Source: habrahabr.ru/company/madrobots/blog/224663/

Tags

See also

New and interesting