Is there really a "wrong" potato gratin? I'm not sure, actually. I think if you take a potato, slice it, drown in cream and grated cheese and bake, the result will be delicious no matter what.
Gratin is a very basic dish. Very simple. Insanely delicious. Incredibly high in calories. And very satisfying. Prepare it for those you love. If they don't love you, then try the recipe will love.
Recipes for gratins the Internet is full of. I stopped following the recipes and start to cook "by eye", often with varying degrees of success. What I wanted:
soft and creamy, light flavor of spices and dense texture (so the gratin was beautifully cut and file). That worked sometimes:
burnt cream, too much butter, crumbly texture. Tasty, but not that.
Gratin, in the end, I was taught to make in culinary school and opened a few secrets. Without any remorse share the secrets with you – everyone has a right to know how to cook delicious food
- Use for cooking gratins cream and combination cream and milk. Why? To the potatoes turned out delicious and creamy, it needs moisture. When exposed to high temperature water in the milk evaporates, penetrates into the potato and makes it soft. In cream water significantly less, but much more oil and proteins. Under the influence of high temperature cream exfoliate – proteins are burnt, and the butter melts. Oil makes the dish overly greasy, but enough penetrates the potatoes, whereby the result is not dense, solid, creamy potato casserole, and some potato slices, covered with oil.
- Cook gratin at a sufficiently low temperature. Along with the milk still add a little cream – we want them turned into sauce. This is possible only if to control the cooking temperature. Otherwise, the cream will exfoliate.
- To improve the taste of food, don't be afraid to add more spices: some garlic, thyme, nutmeg. The difference in taste is very noticeable.
The INGREDIENTS for 4-5 servings/:
- Prepare the gratin tightly closed form foil. We don't want the water just evaporated in the oven. Instead, we have to save it in the dish.
- If you want to diversify gratin, use a combination with other vegetables: sweet potatoes, parsnips, celery root. The basic rule – two layers of potato, the third layer is vegetables.
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
- 500 grams potato, peel and thinly slice
- 1 small clove of garlic, finely chop and crush
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 150 ml of milk
- 100 ml whipped cream
- 10 grams of butter
- Salt, pepper
1. Mix together cream, milk, crushed garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
2. Well grease a baking dish with butter. Partially wrapping the potato slices on top of one another, line a rimmed shape of the potato layer. Lightly season with salt. Lay another two layers of potatoes, then add a third of the milk-cream sauce.
3. Repeat with remaining potatoes and pour in the form of the remains of the sauce. Cover the form with foil and send bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes. Remove from the oven, check the readiness of potatoes gratine and let stand for 10 minutes. Slice gratin into pieces of desired shape and serve as a side dish.
Also delicious: Roasted eggplant with pepper sauce Cook quickly — 3 super easy and unusual recipe with pasta
In the traditional version in the last minutes of cooking gratins it, sprinkle with sharp grated cheese – Gruyere, for example. I believe that cheese is obscuring the delicate flavor of the potatoes, and don't use it. But if you like melted cheese (who doesn't like him?), then you can add it the last 10 minutes of cooking (you will need about 50 grams of grated cheese) and cook without foil at 200 degrees (core temperature cooking gratins 160 degree).published
Cook with love ! Bon appetit!
P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©
Join us in Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki