10 stupid things that spoil our career and life

There are things you should never say at work. Such sentences carry a special power. Pronouncing them, you look bad, even if those words - the truth. Worst of all, you can not take them back if they have already said.

Website published an article regular contributor of the magazine «Forbes» Travis Bradbury, who tells about what is best to remain silent in their professional life, even if it is true.

«This is unfair» h3> Everyone knows that life is unfair. Saying "it's not fair" means that you believe that life should be fair, it looks naive and immature.

If you do not want to put myself in a bad light, stick to the facts remain constructive and refrain from interpretations. For example, you could say, "I noticed that you gave Anne the project, which is hoped to take over me. You will not be difficult to tell what prompted you to make this decision? It would be interesting to understand why you have decided that I do not fit, so I worked on the appropriate skills ».

«We have always done so» h3> The technological changes are occurring so rapidly that even six months some process may become outdated. The words "but we have always done so" not only exposes you to be lazy and not willing to change, but can also bring your boss an idea: why do not you try it for yourself to improve something? If you are really doing things the way they've always done, you will almost certainly have a better way.

«no problem» h3> When someone asks you to do something, or thanks for what you do, and you answer "no problems", do you mean that their request would be a problem. It makes people feel that they have something burdened.

It is better to do the opposite: to show people that you were happy to get the job done. Say something like, "I was nice," or "I will be happy to deal with this." This slight difference in wording, but it has a major positive impact on the people.

«I think ..." / "Maybe it's a stupid idea ..." / "I'm going to ask a stupid question» h3> These are too passive phrases instantly destroy your credibility. Even if these phrases followed by a brilliant idea, they point to the fact that you lack confidence, and as a result the people with whom you are talking to lose confidence in you.
Do not be your worst critic. If you are not sure what to say, and the others are not so sure. If you do something you do not know, say, "I do not have the information you need right now, but I'll get it soon and get back to you with an answer».

«It only takes a minute» h3> To say that something takes a minute undermines the value of your skills and gives the impression that you are just in a hurry to finish the task. If you really are going to finish the job in 60 seconds, then, of course, tell that a lot of the time it did not take. But let it not sound as if the task can be completed faster than it can realistically be done.

«I'll try» h3> This, like "I think" sounds too conventional and, again, looks like you do not have enough confidence in their ability to cope with the task. Take full responsibility for your skills. If you were asked to do something, or to fulfill the request or offer an alternative. But do not say "I'll try," because it sounds so that you do not particularly try.

«He is a lazy / incompetent / goat» h3> There is no benefit in disparaging remarks towards colleagues. If your response is accurate, the rest and so know about it, so there is no need specifically to this point. If inaccurate, it is you end up looking goat.

Rude and incompetent people fall into any office, and probably all already know who they are. If you do not have a real opportunity to help people change for the better or dismiss them, then you have nothing to win from that point to their lack of talent. It looks like a hesitant attempt to look better on their background. Your rudeness will inevitably come back to haunt you - in the form of a negative opinion of your colleagues about you.

«It's not in my job description» h3> This is often sarcastic phrase sounds as if you're willing to carry a mandatory minimum, on the basis of which you are paid a salary. And this is a bad idea if you're so appreciate the stability of employment.

If your boss asks you to do something, in your opinion, does not correspond to your post (but not morally problematic), the best - willing to perform this task. And only then arrange with the boss to discuss your role in the company and that, should not upgrade your operating functionality. In this case, you will not look sorry. It will also allow you and your boss to develop a long-playing understanding of what you should and should not be doing at work.

«It is not my fault» h3> transship the blame on someone else - always a bad idea. Take responsibility. If you like something - even a tiny way - involved in the fact that something has gone wrong, is responsible for this. And if not, ask an objective and unbiased explanation of why this happened. Stick to the facts and let the boss and his colleagues to make their own conclusions, who is to blame.

When you start pointing fingers, surrounding you see a man who refuses to accept responsibility for their actions. It makes people worry. Someone will be avoided at all to work with you and others will strike first and you will start to blame when something goes wrong.

«I can not» h3> This is almost the same thing, that "it's not my fault." People do not like to hear, "I can not" because it sounds like "I will not do it." The words "I can not" assume that you are not willing to do what it takes to get the job done.

If you really can not do something because you lack the necessary skills, offer an alternative solution. Instead of saying "I can not" tell me what you can do.

For example, do not say: "I can not stay up late today." Say, "I can come to work early in the morning. Will? 'Instead of' I can not do anything with these statistics, "say," I still do not know how to carry out this type of analysis. Maybe someone will tell me, and the next time I can do alone? »

«I hate this job» h3> The last thing anyone wants to hear at work - it's like someone close complaining how much he hates his job. These actions characterize you as a negative person and reduce team morale. The authorities quickly catches skeptics that undermine team spirit, and your bosses know that there are always people, the mood is more upbeat and ready to replace you.

Translation Joseph Furman

blockquote>

via ideanomics.ru/?p=4404

Tags

See also

New and interesting