Enough to google. Let's talk

Surely you feel like modern technology captures our lives: just some couple of years - and now we can hardly imagine a day without gadgets and the Internet. Direct communication is becoming a rarity, and we are all deeply immersed in the virtual world. Website offers to reflect on this trend and to read the article by Professor Sherry Turkle.

Students recently shared with me: while looking into the eyes of the interlocutor and thus quietly typing a message in the phone they can at least at school. And now it is almost a matter of course: spending time together with friends and at the same time virtually present anywhere else.

This year's survey showed that 89% of respondents use their mobile phones during the last meeting with friends, and 82% of them believe that it is because of the phone conversation is not ladilsya.

What happens to the face-to-face? Why do people now prefer to correspond on the Internet, and not to talk live?

Students told me about the so-called rule of three: do not touch the phone during a conversation company of 5-6 people, is at least 3 people are included in the dialogue. Thus, by connecting the conversation alone, others in turn, and each an opportunity to politely "dive" in your phone. You can be where you want, do not be bored, and if the conversation has become boring, you immediately find someone to chat online.

But there are counter-examples, when the youth she is worried about the lack of live communication. One 15-year-old told me his story: once he and his father were discussing something during dinner, and the man decided to back up their arguments with facts, while taking out the phone. «Enough google, Dad, I just want to talk to you!" - said the son of his father.

We used to stay in touch and learned, if necessary, to move away from the conversation - in particular, the unpredictable conversations that make us vulnerable, require us to ensure that we thought and generated ideas. It was during these conversations, when we feel the tone and emotions interlocutor find eye contact with him, we really communicate. Of course, we can try to communicate more live, but the trend is clear: today we put phones in the first place.

The problems begin with communication with youth. Have you noticed how the younger generation communicates current? Each buries into your phone, and is complete silence. To me I have repeatedly appealed to the question friends who work as teachers in schools, and they are very concerned about this problem: what can I do? How to teach children to communicate? It is becoming a worrying trend.

Yalda Yuls Psychologist in 2014 conducted a children's camp in a study on child depending on the devices. The results showed that after 5 days without phones and tablets guys were better able to recognize the emotions of actors in movies than children in the control group. Without constant distraction to the gadgets through dialogue and discussions for children was much easier to present themselves on someone else's place and describe these feelings.

The problem is also that we can not be alone with him and we are afraid of loneliness. Research psychologist at the University of Virginia demonstrated the ability of the current generation to loneliness as follows: people were asked to sit in the chair, to be alone with his thoughts for 15 minutes without books and devices and do not sleep. Most of the participants in the experiment chose to subject themselves to a mild electric shock, but would not be alone with their thoughts.

Of course, there is nothing to boredom to get into the phone. But that alone we learn to concentrate, to listen to him, to make plans. This is necessary, we should not be afraid to be alone with him.

Our phones - not just accessories, but psychologically powerful devices that are changing our lives and ourselves. And we can leave your phone in the other room for an hour or two to devote time to family and friends. Yes, and work is sometimes very nice and helpful to talk with colleagues, to the same team spirit increases productivity.

One colleague suggested to me one more interesting thing called "rule of 7 minutes." Give Me 7 minutes to listen to the interlocutor, and just see how the dialogue takes place before distracted by a phone or something like that. However, she admitted she did not often have the patience and the hand and drags mobile check and update any application.

According to psychologist Howard Gardner and Katie Davis, this behavior is typical for the "generation of applications", which has grown from the phone. They are impatient and want instant response from the world, as do their smartphones. But living human communication - not set of algorithms and a unique phenomenon that can not be replaced.

Another step that should make, - back alive, real conversations with your friends and the environment, to stop looking at the world as a giant application
It is time to admit that the use of technology on which we have become very vulnerable, can lead to very serious consequences. Let us remember that we are a unique creation of nature, which possess incredibly complicated psychology and worthy of real, sincere, relaxed conversation and debate face to face.

via www.stevecutts.com/

Tags

See also

New and interesting