Jeff Goodby, "In pursuit of awards we forget the relevance of"

Jeff Goodby (Jeff Goodby), co-founder and creative director of Goodby, Silverstein & Partners, shared with the publication AdAge his thoughts on "being awarded" and "known" world of advertising campaigns in light of the passing Now Advertising Festival "Cannes Lions".

"I call it 'check in a taxi." When you sit in a taxi and tell the driver that is engaged in advertising, taxi drivers often ask ly made you something of what they are familiar. Well? Did? Ironically, the more prizes you win, the more likely that your answer is "no."

It is becoming increasingly obvious that the majority of awarded works are either minor, inconsequential campaigns for actual clients or campaigns for the "real" customers, the latter have never heard of, or complete fakes.

Many of these projects have good intentions, eventually their meaning can be to inspire us when working on large-paid accounts. Without getting into reflections on how it is immoral or stupid, I would like to note that in the terrible trap we we exhaust ourselves: advertising become less known, less public, less funny. Less and less the way you imagine it were, when they came into the business.

We have created a system that rewards the work of unidentified people, have no relation to the advertising industry. We turned to the esoteric brotherhood, which thinks more about himself and less about how to change the world.

In pursuit of awards we forget the relevance

Certainly one of the best achievements of today is the Internet, with its limited audience. The driver may not be seen online advertising campaigns. But I'm talking about those campaigns and agencies that work to a wider audience.

Sponsored ghosts - a symptom of disease

This symptom is observed throughout the world. The conflict in the Dubai Lynx Festival 2009 award this year has led to the cancellation of all the awards received by the agency FP7 Doha, and the Agency of the Year title. Fake J.C. Penney last year won the Cannes Lion. The list goes on.
But behind all these fakes is even more serious problem. On Andy Awards this year, we were awarded with gold print campaign for the station. Surprisingly, the radio station where he got the money for the development and launch of 14 variants chic print advertising. Three different representative of the advertising industry in New York told me that they had never even heard of such a campaign-awarded.

As I said, the problem is not in the next advertising ghost. And the fact that we are creating campaigns that serve our brand agency, rather than to serve our customers and brands to change consumer perception and behavior.

Make marketing again known

I want us all to once again gained popularity outside of our agencies. How to do it?

I think that we should demand that the judge took into account the festivals' popularity and awareness "campaign in deciding whether to award it.

This is not a quantitative success of the campaign - we are quite successful in creating a presentation videokeysov, stating the facts of efficiency. This is not the freshness and originality of the campaign - we all want. I'm talking about "naked glory." Have you heard about this campaign, people or not.

I do not think that the international jury - is a bad practice. People who are world experts in the field of media, may understate the assessment if they have never heard about this campaign. For the good of our business. For the good of us all.

Bob Garfield recently complained that Cannes has meant nothing because of "chaos" in the advertising media. Unlimited dominion factors are known to help negate this criticism. No one is honoring displeasure «Whopper Sacrifice» or «Mac vs. PC »or Coka-Cola« Happiness Factory. »

Think about that the next time when you get into the taxi. Think about it, when it becomes to think about what makes you get up and go to work each morning.

Make it fun for the sake of our future. & Quot;

via / cannes_lions_2009 / 2009/06/16/54101 /

Tags

See also

New and interesting