Bob Scarpelli: The man who invented the "Vazzap"

Bob Scarpelli, chairman DDB Chicago and chief creative officer DDB Worldwide, the apt and simple words of one observer, "napinal asses more advertising than all the best creative director in New York and Chicago together».

Rollers by DDB Chicago for Anheuser-Busch recognized as the most popular in three of the last six Super Bowls (Superbowl). In 2005, four of the 10 spots of the year according to the consumer were made in the same agency. Campaign «Whassup» for the Budweiser has won the Grand Prix at Cannes in 2000, Grand Clio and 15 other top awards at various festivals. Scarpelli - the constant participant of the jury for the various festivals. And this year, he was President of the Jury in Cannes (!).

- The Ghost of Bill Bärnbach ( Note AdMe: co-founder of the advertising agency DDB Worldwide Communications, a classic on par with David Ogilvy i>) is still flying around the office? He - your hero and icon of the agency, but as is the case with Burnett and Ogilvy, many ingenious things they say, is not relevant. What of the fact that the said Bill is still alive? B>

- He's here, because too much of what he said, still resonates today. The wisdom of this man was as amazing as the standards that he set. I read the book & quot; Bill Bernbach Said & quot; almost every day. The values ​​that he has given us, still remain what it is this agency. Our core - creativity and humanity. It came from Bill Bärnbach, returned to the life of Keith Reinhart, and people like me, continue to carry it.

We talked a lot about it and came to the creation of a three-year plan for our agency. Most agencies have a three-minute plan, or three, "because this business is crazy and changing every second." But, as the management team, we said, "That's where we want to see the agency in the future, but what we must do to be relevant." Over many great thoughts to joke around, but we still firmly took up what was to be the core of the company, and what Bill said many years ago: "Creativity - the most powerful force in business».

We try to make everyone in our network has been focused on this idea, believed in it with all your heart and all internal. And I do not mean creative in inventing advertising, I mean creative solutions that take us and our customers. People do not go in circles, chanting "What would Bill do?", But the core values ​​and the company is still embodied in who he was and what he taught.

As for me, I came into this business because advertisement, which they did make me think, "Wow, she's different." Maybe the young creative people do not think as well. But I think that they understand the standard that we are trying to establish, and our confidence in the strength of our ideas. And it came from Bill Bärnbach. We like to believe it's true or not, we have the greatest legacy in the history of this business. And do not you go away and update and modify it a little bit every day.

- You do not think there will be another Bill Bernbach? He set the pattern not only for modern advertising, but also for the creative team, the structure of which we use today. Will another major change like that, what he did? People come into the business and say the best videos and prints have been made. It is hard to believe that you can be on top, to be better than Bernbach, Ogilvy or Clow. B>

- I think that the next Lee Clow, Bill Bernbach, or somewhere nearby, because the way our industry has changed, makes me wish I was younger than 30 years possible today simply amazing. You can do anything you want!

When I was a young copywriter, it looked like this: "Here is your task, we need a couple of prints, TV spot and radio." Well, sort of. We tried to do all that can, in this area, but we did not think outside these boundaries, because the world was very different. Now I say to all of our offices around the world, this is the most exciting time! Yes, our industry has gone through a lot of confusion, falls and zalatyvaniya gaps in the past few years. Customers now want more for less money, less time, and great partnerships are not the same as they were. But it's so exciting. Today, when you start a job - it is a clean sheet of paper. If you find the correct insight that will create a strong brief, you can do everything.

- I read that you have registered the trademark «Talk Value®», which, as I understand it, basically means "the popular rumor." It's very cool, but when it comes to the creative team working on the task, does it really accomplish? For example, much of the success of the campaign Dove Real Beauty Ogilvy came to her because of the PR, which they received in the media. Advertising model ends up on Oprah and "rumors" from now no longer valid. How copywriters and art directors should purely and simply to apply the Talk Value, when they create ads? B>

- We try and go for it. I'm looking for it in every idea that we have here in Chicago and around the world. Bill Bernbach said, "Rumors - this is the best mediator," and the reason why I registered this trademark is that I would like our people are focused on the creation of ideas that would be more than just advertising.

You've got to - boom! - And enter into the popular culture. We have done so primarily with ideas like Spuds Mackenzie. I felt that I can see how it all goes to see a mixture of advertising and entertainment. People talk about the old dispute, and I have not heard it for years, so maybe it's actually an old argument: "We entertain or we sell?". We do, and then, and more - just ask Lee Clow and Jeff Goodby, what they think about this.

We must do this, because people do not have to pay attention to advertising. I figured this out by looking at their sons and their handling of the TV remote control: click, click, click ... they do on anything not stop!

You think about it and ask yourself how damn we get their attention, and based on that we can communicate. You have to come up with ideas that appeal to people, and they go to see again. Ideas that are so good that they can even be to tell their friends about the crazy commercials, in which four guys say to each other "Vozzaaaaap!».
We compete with all of everything, not just the competitors of our clients. Today it is even more than before, because people do not have to watch TV, they also have internet access.

So what we're trying to do it. I do not guarantee it clients, I am not saying that we're going to create something that will change the modern culture, but I think that the ideas that you want to achieve, be sure to affect what happens in reality. Therefore, it is the desire to change the culture should be incorporated as a strategy agency.

- You and your agency has become popular because of the funny movie that you did for the Anheuser-Bussh.

They are terribly funny, but if anyone can explore the essence of humor in advertising? Those best videos that you took were designed at a time when you were drinking a beer and druzmi fun or humorous stories you've built on clearly verified schedules studies and focus groups?

In general, we dovereyaem your intuition. Anheuser-Busch Grand client in the sense that they are willing to take risks, to try new things. They tell you that they would like to receive the "popular rumor ', they believe in it, and it helps their brands.

This is not unique to beer brands, but also to all others. Advertising, communication is an integral part of the product, and Anheuser-Busch really believe in it. They believe that great ideas, great marketing and a great advertising - is the same ingredient of beer, as hops and malt.

- This is great, but if you are a regular copywriter and want to double their fame in advertising, all you have to do is win a festival of advertising, but not double sales customer?

- You're right, and this is very bad. This fraudulent advertising, we are discussing with colleagues.

- I've noticed that a lot of advertising characters, such as the Marlboro Man, is still "alive" and is used in advertising agency but had preferred not to create new heroes of our time. Such characters as the Marlboro cowboy is not an effective way to advertise a product in our days?

- That's a good question. I think that the present generation thinks that advertising characters - this is not cool. What we see is a process where people are beginning to think and to give priority to the final product, not the idea, which he founded, and I think it's not too good.

- You can use the advertising characters worked when we had only 5 channels on the TV?

- Today it is a completely different world. The battle for people's attention - is a daily battle. Today, some idea of ​​the shot and a "hot", but tomorrow everything is differently.

- In the world of advertising, DDB - the elite agency, because you know how to do "commercial for Superbowl». Is there anyway to some special process in the creation of such advertising? Is the creation of advertising for the Superbowl on conventional advertising? Is it true that on the creation of such advertising works creative group of 20? What is required for 6 months to render all sorts of monsters? B>

- I do not think there is any big difference, but usually the cause of the client.

For Anheuser-Busch is an important goal of "Win SuperBowl» (note: to become the most viewed movie) - this is the best brief for creative people!

For us, there is a setting to create a movie that will see more than the football. There are some differences from the "conventional advertising" - for example, many are looking SuperIowl parks, parties, clubs, so the dynamics of the roller should be different from the usual.

Advertising format SuperBowl should be very entertaining. You need to be a simple, surprising and most importantly makes you laugh so SuperVowl - "a great party." It is necessary to take it in the context of advertising, because sometimes customers want to tell you about their "new things" and people just do not pay attention to it is not.

via / kreativnyj_obzor / 2007/11/12/20956 /

Tags

See also

New and interesting