Kimberlin Boyce, author of the popular blog for expats, tells how usually looks life in exile. Living abroad - is, of course, the reward. And even if it was short-lived, this experience can completely change you. In the better.
Here are 10 things that will inevitably change if you move to live abroad. Even if a month or two.
1. Have you always learn a new language. And forget staryy.Ya not an expert on the part of the workings of the human brain, but something tells me that if you stop to speak their native language, then sooner or later forget it. First, you start more and better understand what they tell you on the streets of New compatriots. Next, you will be pleased at how quickly learn a foreign language. It will take another couple of months, and you have already begin to think on it! Hence - a straight road to oblivion against Russian.
Forget forget, if it enters back into the Russian-speaking environment, you will again be great to express themselves in their mother, but without the constant support of the environment you will be very stupid mistakes, will say wild things like "Nagy pants" or "take the bus" (not by storm, but to sit on He, in a sense) and constantly stumble:
- He did ... as it in Russian? Radio? No, no radio ...
- Sam you TV! A! X-rays!
2. The suitcase will be not just a convenient bag
veschey.Ya for thought after'll move my suitcases with things collected for the move will be collecting dust on the far shelf. I even thought, "What am I going to do with all these suitcases when get settled?" But I continue to use them even after years of living in exile.
The fact that emigration if freed me. I became more and more likely to travel. And have fun. I think most of those of you who dare to change their place of residence, there will be the same: one day get out of the cage, I want to keep doing this again and again. And, yes, I'm not sure I can live the rest of days in Brazil, where I live today.
3. This is not a trip. This is your life! You can live abroad for five years, and then come home to visit relatives, and your friends to meet you in the pub, will ask: "How is your trip?" Sometimes I want to shout: "I do not travel! I live there! "But they still will not understand.
Therefore, I always answer that question this pattern polite: "So much has happened in these three years ... we can somehow have lunch together, and I'll tell you their most vivid impressions!»
4. You will always keep in mind the exchange kurs.Vy can live in another country and ten years, but will still keep in mind the exchange rate. You'll go to the store and at home in their new homeland and constantly compare prices. Now, this habit - the part of you from which you will never get rid of, no matter how wanted.
5. The line between "normal" and "strange" now and forever will be a little razmytoy.Nesmotrya the fact that many people believe that the world today - is one global McDonald's, it's not. And every culture, even neighboring, may have their own notions of what is acceptable, and that - no.
Somewhere normal when young people kiss on the street, somewhere - not. Somewhere smoking marijuana inhabitants are quiet, somewhere - no.
I left America in 23 years. Then I thought wrong when someone on the street, picking his nose. At the same time I myself have always enjoyed a toothpick after dinner. Now imagine that where I am today, all exactly the opposite. I can safely clean the nose here in a public place. But I never got used to the fact that the public use of sticks for cleaning teeth - this is not normal.
But what is really great - is the fact that the understanding of this difference makes you much more free and tolerant person.
6. Time in different countries is measured in raznomu.V America, you can not invite anyone to the cafe today. There's people live on the calendar. And wild rage every time they have to wait for someone more than five minutes.
Now imagine that where I am now, too late, even 30 minutes - this is normal. And I was not happy at first: if got into the glue, everything is happening in slow motion, did not have time ...
But then you get used to and adaptirueshsya. Although they continued to be amazed at how some people are obsessed with time, but others do not think about it.
7. The word "routine" will disappear from your leksikona.Vne whichever was your life in a new location as you planned, or not, you there will never be bored and the "ordinary". A miracle will happen every day.
I once spent a whole day just two paying utility bills. Now I'm not sure that tomorrow I will have electricity and water. It's so unpredictable ... I just always have a backup plan - in case the time will ashes because of the irresponsibility of the local electricians.
In general, unexpected things abroad with you in any case will take place in dozens of times more than at home.
8. You will lose everything, but it will not have much znacheniya.A's main argument against immigration, which is often mentioned in the propaganda materials: there you are not wanted. It's true. But I'll reveal a little secret: you do not need anyone anywhere. You need only to himself.
In fact, people are often afraid to move somewhere else, because "they will be there no" or because they are afraid of losing their usual work and the usual social circle.
I'll tell you more. When you move, you lose everything in general (except MacBook and clothing), they had. The usual routes for walking. Family gatherings. Favorite shops. Pet products (if it is not Coca-Cola). And the smells, colors and tastes of the weather.
On the other hand, you are not going to bother. You will get the opportunity to at least for a while (often - a couple of years) not to think about their social status or of what used to at home. The new world will swallow you completely. And you realize that material success - that's not all.
Before you were not going to live in another country, and you will not even think that all you want to take home with them, fit into a couple of suitcases. You do not even remember half of the things that were thought to be very important.
9. Now will appear: "Everything is possible" .Now you know: come and dump anywhere, anywhere you can in one day.
Begin life with a clean slate? This idea I have now is not only inspiring, but also comforting. I know that you can always start over. Anything.
10. All will be in drugomu.Pervoe time you will often feel humiliated ... have to ask (often unknown) people for help in the most ordinary situations. Every day everything will seem so complex and unusual, sometimes even be scary.
But it will take a couple of months, and you are comfortable. And your heart will be overwhelmed with the feeling that you are capable of something much greater than thought.
"If you are brave enough to drop all well-cozy, and it can be anything: a house, old scores - and hit the road for truth, seek the truth in themselves or in the world around you, if you are sincerely willing to be considered a clue all what happens on the road, if you take as a teacher everyone who you meet, and - most importantly - if you are willing to accept and forgive the difficult truth about yourself, that's when you and open the truth. " Elizabeth Gilbert.