One of the most important things in GTD is willpower. Without it, you will not bring the case before the end, any system you selected not bude work. The first bout of laziness will not allow you to look into the list. GTD, todo list, kanban board - it's tools. We read a lot about them, learning how to use them, even programmable. Only the most important tool that is always at us, it's willpower.
Until recently, I did not understand how the force will not know at what time I leave composure. That changed one book. I recommend everyone read it ITshniku, especially freelancers. We have, as a rule, weak external control, so you have to rely solely domestic. It is therefore important to set it up. Why do I recommend this book is to provide guidance under the cut.
The book's title and the references at the end of the article
1. The book is based on research in the field of psychology. H5> When I read the book, I was surprised that the tenth chapter is so short. The last 15% of the book is a reference to the literature. There is dominated scientific journals.
2. There are explanations of physiology at the level of self-control processes h5> I liked the most impact dopamine. It became clear why I love online games, poker and so on. I understand, therefore, I can manage.
3. Is based on a course on self. H5> The author teaches courses on the development of willpower at Stanford University. Therefore, in the book of collected experience, exercises and activities to develop your ability to self-control. By the way, for me, was the discovery that the author is a woman. The book is written in a very structured. It can be read directly as a whole, and to read a chapter a week, performing experiments.
4. The book offers the experiment, and not to believe every word. H5> A lot of things from the book, you may already know. But to know and understand different things. We know that it is worth doing exercises, but why not do it? In order to better understand yourself in a book in each chapter there are experiments. Thanks to them, you can check how it works written by you. At the end of it all, we are all different, the mentality is different, so not all methods will suit everyone.
5. The book is written in simple and understandable language. H5> Genre popular science. There is no abstruse words, but only clear examples. With examples from different areas: marketing, description of scientific experiments, the animal world, personal relationships, politics, bad habits and so on. And it all fit in 200 pages.
My personal experience: h5> I read the book in the beginning of May. Changes over time from reading it:
- established small everyday habits Tipo cleaning, which is often scored
- reached regularity in work on the desired level of 40 hours per week, but not as usual "working 12 hours a week later can not bring myself to sit down to work »
- dropped 6kg, established a healthy diet and regular sport
- started not only plan, but also to achieve the objectives
Favorite ideas from the book: h5>
- Willpower consists of "I will" - the ability to do what you do not. "I will not" - the ability to avoid temptations. "I want" - the ability to move toward their goals.
- Willpower is like a muscle. It can overextend and can be trained. And really cluttered brain gray matter in a certain area.
- Self-control is not just a question of psychology, physiology, and
- Will power is needed to protect us from ourselves.
- We overestimate ourselves tomorrow, and therefore suffer procrastination this point I probably will stop, and then get an outline of the book.
Summary: Read the book, it's worth it. It's called «Сила will. How to develop and strengthen the "Kelly McGonigal or in the original « The Willpower Instinct »Kelly McGonigal
update Do not add articles to your favorites, and shake the book. Then you read a book, not an article.