Cypriot sweets and palyuze dzhukdzhuk

Making traditional Cypriot sweets process exclusively hand, it is full of a long tradition. Author walked through the countryside of Cyprus, talked to and sweetest Cypriots, we have a report. Warning! Vocabulary and spelling author saved.

Between collection and production of grape juice Michalis had introduced us to their friends. In the garden under a canopy the action takes place.

Looked a bit atske, cavernous witches, but dried mice and frogs like was not observed, so we moved forward fearlessly.

Of course, we immediately realized, so that's what you are, reindeer! what can I do dzhukdzhuk - delicious sweetish "sausage" with nuts inside. Yes, I know that we, in the Caucasus, it is called churchhelloy. Let's not about that. I will say more - a little tyknuvshis in the internet I found out that the Cypriot variety called churchhelly not dzhukdzhuk and Suzuki. But though I have memory trouble, but a hearing until all in the order, and not only me, but all of our company is confident that local pronounced "dzhukdzhuk." On the shelves are usually looks like this.

So, we were in the garden of the trees which was not easily recognized as almonds. I had thought it grows immediately cleaned and better smoked, in stores and shops, but it turns out, all the banal.

Everywhere were collected boxes of almonds.

A pair of stones, bale-bale and here's a tasty milk nucleus.

Sometimes come across boxes already peeled skins nuts.

In the shade under a canopy sit ladies and conjure.

Probably so hot September days sitting more than one generation of women in Cyprus.

In the internet I read that pre-soaked almonds, but there was no sign of the operation.

Here Michalis shows three levels of "maturity" dzhukdzhuka - from walnut "beads" to the full "sausagesĀ».

Let's go back to the manufacturing process.

In kotle- "Hartz" long (several hours) concentrated grape juice, but not dark grapes, as we did, and green, adding a little flour. This process is a little mechanized - the boiler reminds heated mixer, but in this stage we were late and "mixer" was removed, and premature thickening palyuze "rescued" by hand.

Thread with nuts dipped in hot palyuze three times and hung up, first over of the boiler.

And then, when the juice drip stops (at first it is collected with a spoon, but the mass of viscous and shell hardens quickly) to outweigh the wind and the sun.

Then when the layer is dry - even three times, after drying the second three. Total - nine dipping. Here's a festive hanging - dried.

Hook for hanging is also very natural origin - slingshot with knots.

This is only a small part of the "harvestĀ».

Basis palyuze - grape juice in its production remains cake. When we made 45 liters (or bottles - I did not understand) juice, then we had two large buckets full of cake and a roomy bag "branches." And this bunch of waste from the production of palyuze, even scary to imagine how many liters of juice made.

Michalis said that "chikeny" and "whipping" love cake - it's a treat for them. When all the strings as many times dipped in palyuze and most palyuze left is not much - it is poured into molds. It soon will harden and become jelly-like sweetness type of marmalade or lozenges. It is these boxes we bought three euros at a charity festival.

And here are dried in the sun even more dense lozenges.

And the sweetest moment - the boiler is empty! The owner poured the remains palyuze chopped nuts, the owner has given to all the guests and participants of the action spoons, while those on the team race bent over the cauldron.

Oh how I do not like sweet, but then I was not far behind.

Then the dried strands dzhukdzhuka include in basement of an old house and there stored. When we were invited to go there, it seemed to me that I was in the cave of the tales of Ali Baba. But any photos I have not turned out. What I want to say as a summary - this awesome manual labor. Work for a large and happy family. Everything - from grozdochki grapes and ending with the final stage of cutting and sale dzhukdzhuka - not an easy handmade. And if you're in the market to buy the package of sweets, remember - there's not a drop of Chemistry and quite a bit of mechanization. But a lot of sun, juice, dry land of Cyprus and the manual labor of good people with an open heart. Only after I went there and saw the process, I realized why these sweets so expensive. Take the money - unlike through chemical candy, chocolate soy loved by many, even the strange-looking of cookies, it is - a real pleasure useful.

via Source

Tags

See also

New and interesting