In 97% of people

These portraits primates - part of a project called "97% people", whose purpose - to show the "human" side of the orangutans, gorillas and baboons.
14 Photo © Arthur Xanthopoulos / Barcroft Media via animalpicture

1. orangutan named Santana in Melbourne Zoo.

2. The 38-year-old photographer Arthur Ksantopolos decided to capture the expressions on the faces of these wonderful animals at the Melbourne Zoo. In the photo: the western lowland gorilla.

3. "These primates understand that I have a camera and I shoot them, - says Arthur. - They change their behavior in my presence, as if posing for a photo. Between me and the monkeys takes some mental contact, which I try to convey in photos. I hope their unique identity will be visible, and people will be able to see their "identity", especially in the eyes, because the eyes - a unique way to interact both humans and monkeys. " In the photo: a baboon.

4. Unforgettable intelligent face Santana - 33-year-old orangutan. He is curiously looking over her shoulder with gentle eyes. Zookeeper toolmaker his name because he is a master for himself plain "flatware" from different subjects and loves to solve various problems. "

5. Young orangutan - eight Manoir openly looking at the camera with a knowing look. He stands on a wooden platform, which he uses to acrobatics, which he is known throughout the zoo.

6. The 32-year-old Suma looks at his reflection in the pool water in his enclosure

7. "I like to keep the mirror people, - says Arthur. - I want them to ask "Who we are" and "what we want to look." Looking at my pictures, I hope people will see his own reflection, and it will make them think about how much we have in common rather than how much we have differences. I see my job as a way of creating awareness for the people I want to help them to see these animals in a different way. "

8. Initially Arthur inspired documentary about monkeys on the BBC, which was a common theme the relationship of people and primates. He decided to launch his photographic concept on the "human" characteristics of monkeys.

9. Living close to Melbourne Zoo and became friends with the caretakers, Arthur got access to their enclosures. He prefers to shoot on overcast days when the light just enough to highlight the features of the Apes. Photo: Western lowland gorilla

10. Melbourne Zoo lives of 320 animals, including orangutans six, eight gorillas and other primates. Since the discovery of the oldest zoo in Australia in 1892 we are not just passed the international campaign in support of Borneo orangutans and gorillas of the Democratic Republic of Congo. In the picture: the orangutan amount.

11. "I do not always immediately pull out the camera and start shooting. I need to choose the best angle and calculate the movement of animals. I have so much time to come to this zoo that can predict the likely behavior of the animals. Here the great role played by expectation and patience - but I know that in the end, the animals fit wherever I need to. " In the photo: a baboon.

12. "I think my main aspect of the work lies in the fact that while primates live in the zoo, my project" In 97% of people "shows that they are not just animals. In the wild, a place inhabited by these monkeys are being destroyed at a tremendous speed. Yes, they are not people, and do not have the basic human rights, but they have the same rights on the senses, as we have, and we must respect them. The "97% of people" - food for thought in this regard. In the picture: the orangutan Ménoire

13. Western lowland gorilla looking straight into the camera.

14. Orangutan Santana.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting