They fought for their country.

foto_history 24 photos and letters

40 years of the legendary Super Series Hockey Canada-USSR
Look at the legendary event on the Canadian side. Memories of players, pictures of Canadian newspapers.

The star of "Boston Bruins' Bobby Orr is in a good mood on the eve of the first match.
After playing in Europe, Billy Harris was the one who said that the USSR national team has a chance to win. He knew how strong they are, but nobody listened. "

razminochka Canadians.

Valery Vasiliev and Alexander Gusev.

4. A.Maltsev, V.Harlamov, Yu.Lebedev.

Game 1 Montreal. September 2. Canada - USSR 3: 7

Prime Minister of Canada opens the Super Series.

The first match Canadian cast of players, theirs Prime Minister and all their fans in shock.

Rod Gilbert: "On the first shift in the" Forum "I came in the top three with Jean Ratellem and Vic Hadfield. We played somewhere in the half to two minutes. When he returned to the bench, we looked at each other and I asked Jean: "Listen, you ever touched a puck?" And he told me: "Nah, do not you?" And I, too, it was never touched. From our threes before it even got nobody - they have it just did not admit.
Pat Stapleton: "The players do not hit the bid, watched the match from the stands. Supporters have learned. They come up to us and asked, well, what is it? What's going on? I was in the same disarray as they are. "

Game 2 Toronto, September 4. Canada - USSR 4: 1

Canadians won yet again the USSR national team players did not give them the descent. Despite the draw in the series, the USSR national team, which was conducted for an extreme stellar striker Valeri Kharlamov, made a huge impression on the players of the Canadian team.

Brad Park, "Kharlamov was like he was playing his football. He did what he wanted, and no one was afraid. When he felt that he want to hit - it hit the first ".
Bobby Clarke: "Their best player was Alexander Yakushev. I often come face to face with Alexander Maltsev during the series, and he was still the son of a bitch - it was very difficult to play against him. When it was over, I thought, "Damn, that's hokkeistische!"
Phil Esposito: "The best player of them was Alexander Yakushev, and no no Kharlamov and Vladislav Tretiak. There is no doubt, even impossible. It has been rising 193 cm and weighing 95 kg, and thus will ride the wind. We are all afraid of him. He reminded me of Bobby Hull. But he was more than Bobby ".

Alexander Yakushev.

Game 3 Winnipeg, September 6. Canada - USSR 4: 4
P.Henderson and G.Laponte.

Game 4. Vancouver, September 8. Canada - USSR 3: 5.
Pete Mahovlich: "I have this game from the podium watched. Boo us started on the 10th minute. I then thought to myself, "These people do not understand what is happening. He does not understand this, and all of Canada. " They just do not realize how much fun playing Russian. They thought their fans. And they came to a professional ice hockey team more than we do. "

A Ragulin and V.Harlamov.

After four games in Canada, the teams had a break of two weeks. Canadians went to Stockholm and played there for two friendlies against Sweden.

F.Mahovlich in Stockholm.

Unlike Canadians, the USSR national team to train at home, some players even gone to a mini-vacation - this is reflected, according to Maltsev, a negative impact on their level of readiness.

September 20 Team Canada arrived in Moscow. Despite their own fears during his stay in Moscow, the Canadians visited the theater, ballet, museums and the Kremlin, met with many ordinary Muscovites.

Stan Mikita.

Brad Park: "We have brought with them their own food. Steaks in New York and so on. So when we were served food, from the same steak, only half remained. A bunch of our stuff just disappeared without a trace. Beer ours, such as propane. You upset me? And how! "

Tony Esposito: "I was afraid of them. Still superpower after all. But then I looked at it from the inside and realized that the standard of living is more a third world country. I saw a woman with a broom to sweep the streets. Broom consisted of three branches, attached to a stick "

Game 5. Moscow. September 22. USSR - Canada 5: 4

F.Espozito: I remember that I slipped during the presentation of the teams, nearly fell and blew a kiss to the side of the government lodges. Everyone laughed. Even Brezhnev laughed. I'm sure. His lips did not smile, but in the words of the famous eyebrows was clear that he was amused.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting