Costumes from the series

The series "Game of Thrones" - a film adaptation of the novels of George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire." Costumes in the series has a special role. They are thought to detail and most importantly, almost all made from scratch costume designer - Michelle Clapton. On the one hand costumes reminiscent of the Middle Ages, on the other hand make it clear that it is still a fantasy.

I must admit, I was a little surprised that for the visualization of this rather tough, I would say, the history of men meet two women: production designer Gemma Jackson and costume designer Michele Clapton.

Michelle Clapton

Michelle has done a tremendous job: dress, armor, coats, jackets - all of this in the film a huge amount, and all carefully thought out and executed. Of course, not all up herself, she had many helpers (again we never dreamed of such a staff of assistants and dressers: you can look at it here in the column Series Department Wardrobe and Costume), but nevertheless, the whole process is supervised it , and asked the style and direction of the series, too, Michel costume. For this work she and her assistants Alexander Fordham and Chloe Aubry received Emmy Awards 2012.

The series (loosely based on the series of novels "A Song of Ice and Fire" author George RR Martin) takes place in a fictional world, reminiscent of medieval Europe (including southern and northern edges), where several royal houses (families) battle for the Iron Throne of the United Kingdom.
Each kingdom and his subjects, including the nobility and peasants, costume designer had to invent a style of clothing, as well as consider the materials of which it will all be made.
Vote for several pictures and diversity of the scope of work:

The project budget is huge, allowing artists to pay attention to any detail: from the creation of homespun textiles to jewelry, coinage characters.

Who better to talk about the work of costume designer than himself? So revered excerpts from various interviews Michelle.

"Over the 14 weeks before the start of filming, I met with my assistants and talked about what direction would like to ask for each character. We also discussed the general view of the various groups of characters, then the effect of their place of residence and the climate in the suit, etc. I also met and talked with production designer Gemma Jackson, screenwriter, producer, etc. Following these discussions, we have created a mood board (the board on which to impale tissue samples, photos of prototypes, drawings and so on.) For each new object and I started to draw concept.

We also made a trip to Italy, Paris and Madrid to see the fabric, as well as sent "scout" in London.

Michelle at work. But the costumes of the series - is not only pretty women dress the main characters ...

10 weeks we spent in our workshops in cutters, manufacturers, gunsmiths. I like to spend time in the studio, where I spent two years out of five, watching the cut, sewing, studying tissue. We try to do as much manual work, because it is practical and much more solid. 99% I forbade use overlock and 100% hand-decorated encouraged even costumes extras. We have our own weavers, embroiderers and artists, printing patterns on fabrics, because a lot of the costumes created from scratch. "

Michelle correcting invoice suit before the show

All costumes invoice - we do everything from sweat stains to the state decrepit rags - and this is one of the most important aspects in the costume workshop. We have a team of about ten people, including designers and textile artists whose work is otfakturivanii dress appropriately.

First we paint the fabric is then processed, then the invoice, and then again to yap and darn. If you try to do in a short time what could happen with clothes for 10 years of her socks, then it will not work. There will not suit splash of paint balonchika priporoshit and mud, because that's how it will look and then & quot ;.

Each royal family applying for the Iron Throne has its own coat of arms and symbol. They are everywhere: on the banners on the armor on fasteners tunic dresses and embroidery. And consider all these little things in the film is very interesting.

Symbol Starks - dire wolf, and in these photos you can see stylized wolf's head on his robe and on billboards.

In Baratheon - deer.

At Tully - fish, this sign we also see everywhere - from embroidery on the collar to small brooches.

In Targaryen - dragon.
And then not only have dragon fibula head, but also use a cloth like dragon scales.

Look at the "Dragon" invoice dresses:

In Dothraki symbol - horses ...

"For style Dothraki we took inspiration for the costume Afghan horsemen, Native American and African tribes who live in tents and are constantly in motion - says Michele Clapton - They have a lot of horse skin. They are decorated with feathers. They steal the jewels, which, as I suggested they give their women ».

Lannister symbol - the lion, his heraldic seen on fasteners, armor, shield,

and embroidery dresses Queen Regent Cersei (pictured left):

Lions - is not only a sign of the Lannisters, but the designation of the forces of power.

Cersei image built on contrasts, emphasizing the complexity of the character of the heroine: a rectangular face is framed by long, curly hair, beautiful silk dresses, embroidered touching birds that not only fit in with its cold, hard stare.

embroidery "birds" bigger

Another dress with birds:

Dresses Cersei have metal belt-like armor.
"Lannisters are very rich, are competitive, live in the capital and have power, which is very important - says Michelle - There's mild climate and the people do not need warm clothes. And this coast, which means that trade. They have a lot of servants, they are readily available silks and jewels.

Starkey has fewer features than the Lannisters, and live in a cold, damp place. For them available only wool, leather, fur and some dyes. They need to think about the heat and wear for high status soft embroidered collars. Women embroider, to somehow decorate clothing & quot ;.

Another piece of work embroiderers:

But I'm a little distracted, I continue the story about the costumes Clan Starks.
"In addition, residents Vinterfela hunt, kill animals and eat them and their clothes reflected - explains Michele Clapton - I tried to use fake fur, but it does not work.

Style defenders Wall, Night Watch, a very minimalist and simple.

Dark suits, mostly black and gray, layered with furs, borrowing from the Himalayan, Mongolian and Eskimo cultures. Men do not wear metal armor, because it is too cold.

I push on the nature of the character, revealing it through the color and cut of the suit. When we first see Saens [Sophie Turner], it is traveling, has things in style Starks - they are a bit clumsy, and homespun textiles.

When it comes to King's Landing, it is influenced by the style of Cersei [Lena Headey]. After the death of her father, Ned Stark, which was to blame and Cersei, Sansa like freezes in his stylistic evolution.

"I had no idea what would have complicated tailoring suits, they have developed amazing detail! - Said in an interview with the actress who plays Sophie Turner Sanz - Even my corset that I wear under the dress at the Royal harbor was embroidered with dragonflies, and yet he was nowhere to be seen on the screen! »

"I love my embroiderers - admits his love for Michelle Carragher costume - she is very talented. We tell her the idea that she takes and makes it more beautiful than I could have hoped, her embroidery as picture ».

By the way, dragonflies and butterflies - Sanz topic: it has a pendant in the form of a dragonfly and butterfly ring, her dress embroidered with dragonflies.

On the Internet, fans of the series is considered a version that Sanz likes this symbol because it reminds her ballad about Prince dragonfly, abdicated for the love of a simple girl.

And I think that she looks like the heroine of a dragonfly - light and quivering slightly pulivuyu - it works and gamma costumes Sansei solved in cool pale lilac, gray and pink.
Very interestingly conceived by the artist wedding dress Saens: it embroidered fish (sign home to her mother, before her marriage Tully), wolves (sign father's house Stark) and Lions (house sign Lanester) as it now becomes the wife of Tyrion Lannister.

Frankly - attention all the artistic workshops to detail - that's what attracted me personally once in the series.

Source: la-gatta-ciara.livejournal.com

Tags

See also

New and interesting